specific examples of "outstanding service"

cruisestitch

We just returned from the July 10-22 Solstice sailing. Unfortunately, it turned out to be an 11-day cruise for us, because Delta Airlines cancelled our flight from JFK to Barcelona the night before, causing us and about 40-50 other cruisebound passengers 48 hours of travel hell, resulting in a flight the next day from JFK to Nice, where we caught the ship.

The day before our sail-in to Venice, we received invitations to view the cruise in from the Helipad on the bow of the ship, "as a special gesture after a difficult start." The event included champagne, hors d'oevres and free photographs from the ship's photographers. They sell this event for $50 (which I would never pay), but it was still a turnout of about 70 people or so, giving us the opportunity to enjoy phenomenal views of Venice and a "reunion" of sorts with our fellow distressed passengers, all of whom were now over our travel problems.

Additionally, our cabin steward delivered two extra bathrobes to our stateroom, with instructions from his supervisor that they were ours to keep due to the rough start. They were also very gracious at the front desk in refunding our non-refundalbe Nice excursions that we purchased ahead of time.

My feedback to Delta Airlines, which was the root cause of our issues due to mechanical problems and the lack of backup equipment at JFK, is to ask them how come they caused the problem, but Celebrity did a 10 times better job of making us feel better?

Just curious, how did you book your air? Were you booked to arrive on the day of departure of the cruise?

As the OP of this thread I'd like to respectfully request that we keep it on topic, as I am trying to compile all of these answers to pass on to Celebrity. If you wish to discuss the delayed flight situation (which is very interesting to read about) perhaps a new thread would be best. Thank you.

We just returned from the July 10-22 Solstice sailing. Unfortunately, it turned out to be an 11-day cruise for us, because Delta Airlines cancelled our flight from JFK to Barcelona the night before, causing us and about 40-50 other cruisebound passengers 48 hours of travel hell, resulting in a flight the next day from JFK to Nice, where we caught the ship.

The day before our sail-in to Venice, we received invitations to view the cruise in from the Helipad on the bow of the ship, "as a special gesture after a difficult start." The event included champagne, hors d'oevres and free photographs from the ship's photographers. They sell this event for $50 (which I would never pay), but it was still a turnout of about 70 people or so, giving us the opportunity to enjoy phenomenal views of Venice and a "reunion" of sorts with our fellow distressed passengers, all of whom were now over our travel problems.

Additionally, our cabin steward delivered two extra bathrobes to our stateroom, with instructions from his supervisor that they were ours to keep due to the rough start. They were also very gracious at the front desk in refunding our non-refundalbe Nice excursions that we purchased ahead of time.

My feedback to Delta Airlines, which was the root cause of our issues due to mechanical problems and the lack of backup equipment at JFK, is to ask them how come they caused the problem, but Celebrity did a 10 times better job of making us feel better?

Don't you hate it when planes do that?

Makes everyone one feel rotten for a while

We believe that chocolate covered strawberries are the gift for any problem!, followed up by a complementary specialty restaurant visit- LOL.

On our last cruise, March, 2012 we experienced "rain in the room" at 2 am (a leak of pipes over our bed). Within 3 minutes, we had at least 3 crew members working to get it fixed. We were lead to an empty cabin (although the ship was supposed to be sold out) to spend the night in the dry. Fixed by 8:30 the next morning in time to get dressed for the day.

Several years ago on the Mercury in New Zealand, we found we had left all of our charging cords (camera, phones, etc) in our Auckland hotel. When we went to Guest Relations to try and borrow some, they went into action. They contacted the hotel and had someone drive back down the coast from our next stop in order to retrieve them. Got all of them back before we left Kiwi waters sailing up to Hawaii. Wonderful actions!

But the one time that stands out the most really had to do with our DS and his GF (she was sailing on her very first cruise). Our son had ordered a romance package to be delivered only after he told them what day and time. Unfortunately, the chocolate strawberries (them again!) came at 10am one day and their wine another day completely. He was disappointed, but didn't say anything because he did get what he paid for, just not together or when he wanted them.

One morning we were sitting in the Ocean View Cafe talking about what happened and the crew member eating next to us, overhearing, asked for the particulars. It turned out that she was the Concierge and she felt bad. Immediately she was on the phone looking for a solution. She ended up sending DS and GF 2 lovely bathrobes and slippers by way of apology. They were so surprised by the gift as they were in a regular inside cabin, never thinking that the Concierge would be concerned about their cruise experience.

I can't count the numerous time we have had great customer service on X from all the crew from the Captain down to the cleaners in the hallways. That's why we keep coming back.

Family was traveling on a Celebrity Cruise in the mid 90s, wife, daughter, son and myself. My daughter had just received her first pair of classes a couple of days before. Upon arriving on the ship she realized she did not have her glasses and we determined it was probably left on the plane to Florida in the pocket, front of seat.

We were directed into the pier and spoke to a customer service rep. Make a long story short, the glasses flew onto Dallas where they were picked up and returned to Florida. During the week we received updates on where the glasses were and eventually picked them p upon debarking from the ship.

Not much I could do except send a nice letter to the Cruise line with names of all those involved.

I have two gems that constantly remind me why we sail with Celebrity. Our first cruise was on the Millennium in January of 2008. Our waiter in the dining room was Joneider from Columbia. We go to know him fairly well over the course of a week. We also got to know Claudia in the bar. Every evening we'd go and I'd have my Malibu & pineapple and Robert would have his vodka & cranberry. We'd chat and joke around and were very impressed with both of them.

Fast forward to February of 2010 - we board the Equinox and are exploring the ship. Who is at the entrance to the buffet as head maitre'd of the Tuscan Grille but Joneider; as soon as he saw us he called us by NAME, welcomed us back to Celebrity and asked us if we would see him at Tuscan. We did have plans to go there but hadn't made up our minds yet. He made sure that we knew where we could reach him and he wished us good day. We continue our explorations and go to the bar at the aft end and Claudia was there. She called us by name as well and said please sit here - I will be right back. She returns with a Malibu & pineapple for me and a vodka & cranberry for Robert. To say we were stunned would be an understatement.

That evening we return to our stateroom and there is a note in our mail slot. A reservation for the Tuscan grille for 2 in a few nights time at 9:30. We were impressed at this but would be blown away when we went to dinner. Joneider met us and we asked him why he made the reservation and he said "Well gentlemen, on Millennium you never came to formal night as you said that you're in suits all day and you hade a late seating. So I booked your reservation for the last open space and booked it on formal night because I know you wouldn't be in the dining room". Wow.

Looking forward to the Summit on October 20th....

Char, your post reminded on a cruise a few years ago. I love Rum Raisin ice cream, and asked our waiter if we could possibly have it served every night. Well sure enough the next night he brought Rum ice cream...no raisins. The following night, vanilla ice cream with one or two raisins...and each night was a fun expectation of "what are we going to get tonight". They always try their best, and it's always fun.
Celebrity usually has rum raisin the first day of the cruise, and rarely later in the cruise. A number of years ago we were taking a Celebrity transAtlantic. On day 10 the people we were eating lunch with said they would really love some rum raisin, and asked the waiter to check if there was any in the kitchen. He came back with bowls of vanilla, a bowl of raisins, and a pitcher of rum. We thanked him and asked for his name so that we could commend him. He covered his name tag and would not tell us his name. Apparently he was so interested in pleasing us that he "borrowed" some rum that he was not authorized to have.

I enjoy being pampered, but really don't wish the crew to risk censure while doing it.

Lots of wonderful stories in this thread. Thanks to all.

Thom

Thank you for starting this thread. It was so fun to read and hear the names of staff members we have met. I have a story to tell but it is about someone that probably doesn't get mentioned much.

My husband and I had a routine where we picked up a cocktail on our way to our room to enjoy while we are getting ready for dinner (keep in mind this is back in the day when you could smoke on your balcony). I have to get ready first as according to him, I take longer. So I get ready and while he's showering, I have my drink on the balcony with my cigarette. On this particular night it is pouring buckets. So I tell my husband I'm going up to the Sky Lounge or whatever it is on this particular ship. I go up and it is closed for a private party. I wander around and it is very obvious that everywhere outside is out of the question. I head to the pool area where it is some what covered. As I come from the Solarium pool area, there are several staff members who are powerwashing the deck. One young man asks if I need anything. I told him I was looking for a dry place to have a smoke. He directed the staff to the other area of the deck and brought me a chair, table and ashtray. Not too much later, the officer in charge of the pool came over to speak to him. There was a conversation and a pat on the back. Then the officer came over to make sure everything was well.

I've always thought how nice it was that I was important and my comfort at the forefront. The concern for a passengers' needs extends from the officers to those we may not necessarily meet on a daily basis. Kudos Celebrity.

Ellen

On a Solstice Med cruise last November, I particularly enjoyed a lemon tart served at dessert. The next night, I asked the server if there were any left over. He hastily assured me that all food is disposed of after 4 hours; but offered to make lemon tarts the next night for everyone at our table that wanted it! And he did--came out with a plateful, which we all enjoyed.

One night at Blu, I mentioned that I had heard on Cruise Critic that you might be able to order Indian food as a special treat. I was just asking if that was indeed the case. The waiter immediately sent the maitre d' over, who made a quick phone call, and voila! In 10 minutes I had a whole Indian meal!

But on Princess last week, my SIL asked for a side salad when the rest of us were having pub lunch--she is a vegetarian; and she was told 'no way'. So they gave her a ploughman's lunch without the meat, basically a slice of bread with some cheese and pickles. I was embarrassed!

On a Celebrity Galaxy Panama Canal cruise - Just a few examples of outstanding service:

One of our cruise buddies asked our waiter one night if the galley had any buttermilk - as that was what he liked to have at times for an upset tummy (not his words ;-) ). After checking with the galley, our waiter returned and said he was sorry, but they did not. The next night - after a port day - our waiter brought my friend a glass of buttermilk. Someone had gotten off the ship, gone to a store, and purchased a few gallons in case it was needed! Well, one night, our friend did leave the table after his soup because his tummy was acting up again. Our waiter asked where Ron had gone, and we told him he had gone back to his cabin. He told us the next day, there had been a knock on his door that night, and the Maitre' D had brought a glass of buttermilk to his cabin and wished him a good evening and a quick recovery!

Same trip: about the 3rd night in (this was an 11 day cruise) we were missing "green veggies" - we were asked what we liked.. we said asparagus, spinach, brussel sprouts - each night we got at least one and most nights two of those veggies each night. Tables around us grew curious - started asking - and low and behold, our whole area was delighted with extra veggies!

Love Celebrity!

Can't resist adding another kudo for their sister line RCCL. I love, and I mean LOVE key lime pie. On one RCCL cruise, I had some of the best I have ever tasted. I complimented the Dessert Chef via our waiter. DC came to the table, thanked ME for enjoying HIS creation. I asked if it was to be a dessert choice any other night during our cruise, and his answer: For you it is! I will bake a pie just for you - you're name will be on it - and you may enjoy it whenever you wish - including lunch - Just ask your waiter!"

Can't beat that!

Great stories. Really enjoying this thread.

On my recent cruise aboard the Summit, I had ordered a steak for dinner in the MDR. Although it was cooked to perfection, it was a bit tough and I was having some difficulty cutting it. Our head waiter Sutama noticed I was having trouble and swooped in and proceeded to cut my steak into bite-sized pieces.

Everyone at my table for 8 was in hysterics and Sutama gracefully took a bow when the applause started. It was a priceless moment :o

Love reading these - thank you to everyone for sharing and thank you for Celebrity for providing such fantastic service :)

I've only been on Celebrity once (so far!) and I thought it was so nice how the young lady (I'm embarrassed that I forgot her name) knew me at the Cafe no matter when I showed up. After a couple of non-fat coconut latte's, I'd be greeted by name along with "do you want coconut this time or would you like to try a different flavor?"

As someone has mentioned, this isn't over the top and not a result of a special request but the personalized nature of the interaction made me feel so welcome. How she (and all the staff) remember one among the faces of 3000 other guests is amazing to me.

K

Love reading these - thank you to everyone for sharing and thank you for Celebrity for providing such fantastic service :)

I've only been on Celebrity once (so far!) and I thought it was so nice how the young lady (I'm embarrassed that I forgot her name) knew me at the Cafe no matter when I showed up. After a couple of non-fat coconut latte's, I'd be greeted by name along with "do you want coconut this time or would you like to try a different flavor?"

As someone has mentioned, this isn't over the top and not a result of a special request but the personalized nature of the interaction made me feel so welcome. How she (and all the staff) remember one among the faces of 3000 other guests is amazing to me.

K

We've cruised quite a lot with Celebrity, and it never ceases to amaze how the crew remembers all the "little" things...that add up to really enjoyable, memorable vacation.

On Azamara, our butler was fabulous. He got our suitcase fixed. The heel has fallen off. He helped me with the self service laundry. He carried the clothes both ways, put them in the washer and dryer, and even offered to fold. He refused an extra tip.

First morning on the Eclipse I was wandering around the OV cafe searching for fresh strawberries. One of the managers noticed my lost look and asked if she could help. "Where are the fresh strawberries?" I asked. Her answer was that there were none, but about 10 minutes later she found me at a table and presented a bowl of them to me!

On the Equinox, we really enjoyed our server, Nalan. The last nite at dessert time, DH stated that all he really wanted was another hot dog. Lo & behold, later that evening there was a knock on our cabin door with room service delivering that elusive hot dog!

Once, in Dublin, I forgot my reading glasses in Browns Department Store. Back on board I went to guest relations. They called the store and lo and behold, my glasses were found. The guest relations person took my credit card number to cover mailing. A month later, I received my glasses in the mail and was never charged postage.

Excellent service from both parties. You can be sure that the next time we are in Dublin, I will shop at Browns!

The most amazing story I can relate has nothing to do with cruising.

We were in Essouaira, Morocco, on the terrace of a restaurant overlooking the ocean. My DH wanted to take a photo, took off his glasses and they blew into the ocean. OMG! Our guide said not to worry, he will tell some men to look for it while we sightsee. These men were on camels, searching the ocean floor with long sticks. Would you believe that when we returned to the restaurant, they had the glasses! Needless to say, we were happy to give them a reward!

We had a great room steward one cruise. We really dont expect much from the room steward other than cleaning the room.

We had 2 cabins on this cruise, one with our high school age daughters in it. Every time we returned to our cabin this sweet lady was in the hall and would say "your daughters are asleep in the cabin" or "the girls left in their swimsuits".

She was a true joy to be with and received by far the largest tip we have ever left a room steward.

These two examples were on Azamara, but we always get wonderful service on Celebrity as well.

1. I broke the strap on one of my sandals while on our cruise, and really depended on those shoes (for once, I had packed light). I went to Guest Relations and asked if I could borrow some tape to hold them together. The girl there said "Oh no - just leave the sandal on your bed with a note while at dinner and we'll have someone fix it for you." So we did, and when we came back from dinner, the sandal was miraculously fixed (and this would not have been a simple fix). Four years later, I'm still wearing those sandals.
  2. One day at the breakfast buffet I couldn't find the waffles, and was told that they were making pancakes that day instead. I said "No problem" and found something else wonderful to eat. A few minutes later, a waiter came by with some waffles for me.

We have had such wonderful service on Celebrity and Azamara, I find it really hard to consider another type of vacation.

One cruise we pre-ordered and paid for a special red wine for the next evening so that the sommelier could open it to let it breathe. To our surprise we were invited to the Captains table for dinner on the night we were to have the wine. We told the sommelier that we would have it the next night even though there was no good beef on the menu to complement the wine. The sommelier spoke with the Assistant Matrie d' who arranged for a fillet dinner, complete with a cheese course. The meal was served with a flourish by the waiter and Matrie d' and all eyes were on our table.

Mary Lou

On our second Solstice cruise, the party band started setting up, and we recognized them from our first Solstice cruise. My DH said we should go over and say hello. I said they would never remember us. The first song they played was a Rumba, our favorite dance, and when we looked over to the singer, she was waving both her hands at us with a big beaming smile. After 2 years, she remembered us and our favorite dance. Boy, did we feel welcomed back!!

My husband LOVES doughnuts. Well, on our first Celebrity cruise, he was disappointed that they only had them for breakfast the first morning. He mentioned it briefly to our waiter at dinner that night, and the next morning, and every morning after that, our waiter met us at the breakfast buffet wtih chocolate doughnuts! It made my husband's cruise. Excellent service that went above and beyond.

Archived