specific examples of "outstanding service"

cruisestitch

Moving from a thread to a new sequence here, that might be of more general interest and might attract some posters who would not be reading the other thread.

Long-time Celebrity cruisers often know of specific examples of "outstanding service". Going beyond the polite and efficient == what made special memories for you?

Care to share?

Moving from a thread to a new sequence here, that might be of more general interest and might attract some posters who would not be reading the other thread.

Long-time Celebrity cruisers often know of specific examples of "outstanding service". Going beyond the polite and efficient == what made special memories for you?

Care to share?

It's not always about "doing something extra", often it's just the way in which something is done. But, here are two examples of what we've experienced. We returned to our cabin one evening to find a wonderful tray of chocolate covered strawberrys with a note from the Executive Chef thanking us for comlimenting the dinner that evening. Another time we received a call from the Maitre 'd in Murano informing us that we had a reservation for that evening. We told him that we didn't make a reservation and he informed us that a member of the Senior Staff wanted to treat us. After much effort we found out that it was from the Hotel Director.

Care to share?

We've only been on one cruise and that was with Celebrity in June of this year to Alaska.

Our waiter, Tegue, in the MDR Tegue, was outstanding every night. I asked him if it was possible to get copies of the dinner menus. On our last evening he brought us copies of each nights menue plus the everyday menu. Plus, one day we saw him on shore (he had the afternoon off). He was so personable and friendly. We enjoyed visiting with him away from the ship.

Also, I gave the concierge a tip about a car rental situation and she had two Celebrity tee shirts and two pens sent to our cabin.

Here's one of mine, from a cruise some years ago. The friends I was traveling with made a daily stop at Cafe Al Bacio for a mid-afternoon chocolate chip cookie snack. One day there were none in the bins -- only oatmeal and coconut. The server there apologized, but with a twinkle in her eye, and then with a flourish brought out a plate of chocolate chip cookies she had put back special for us when she saw that the supply was running low.

Care to share?

It’s not only the act itself it is the attitude when they do the service.

On the Silhouette someone I knew had trouble walking around the buffet line. An officer, not just a crew member came over took his tray and walked around the buffet with him and then took him to his table. have seen crew offer to help people but this was a high ranking officer.

We were part of a small group when one of the group did not show up for a couple of day. I mentioned this to our cabin stewardess who called the cabin steward of their cabin and between the two of them found out what had happened. They went way out of their way to inform us that the missing passenger was taken off (medical reasons) on the last island and is hospitalized.

I have sailed numerous cruises but felt the attitude and service from crew members and officers on this ship outstanding. They cannot do enough for you and with a smile.

On our last cruise:

- We like a water pitcher in our room, and our SR didnt have one. We asked our Steward and he said they weren't furnished in standard SRs, but that night, we had one and it was iced and full every day.

- Our tablemate loved the onion rolls he had on a previous Princess cruise but weren't in our roll basket for dinner. The next night, we had a bunch of them, and for every dinner.

- In the Tuscan Grill, ordered a steak and asked the waiter to bring me a glassa of wine that would complement my choice. He brought me an outstanding glass that was midrange, not the most expensive, which I kind of worry about they might do when you ask them to choose.

- We had a bottle of white wine in our SR and asked our Steward to ice it up for company that night. He did. We never got to it, but every night until we killed that bottle off, he had it iced and ready.

And one i read about and thought was hillarious:

On this Review, the poster complained that it was raining in port and he couldn't find an umbrella in his room. The steward told him they were out, but to check with the Front Desk. He did, and the woman told him she wasn't sure if she had anymore (it was midday and everyone had gotten them and this guy didn't bring his own). He complained he Had to have one, so she took her own and gave it to him to use, and asked him to bring it back to the Desk since it was hers. He said he ran out of time and left it in his SR....and he complaned that they didn't have one ready for him immediately and that he thought she was a bit 'stiff'. He actualy used this incident as an example of 'poor service'. I thought that was unbelieveable, especially his not returning it to her. How do you spell 'jerk'??

Den

On quite a few prior cruises, we have had wonderful stewards that have made sailaway parties on our balcony a very special event. We would order some cheese and crackers or asst. fruit, and there was always something special brought in. And also additional wine glasses (if needed). All without asking. They just know what do to make everything perfect for the passengers.

Additionally, I remember one cruise where we mentioned to our waiter that the coffee in our Suite had a better taste, than the coffee served in the MDR. Well the next evening he had our Butler prepare coffee for our table and had it delivered to the MDR to be served with our dessert. We were all so impressed with this thoughtful gesture.

Sometimes it's the unexpected delight of someone. Our MDR waiter, Florin, knew I mostly order a beef dish at dinner. On Lobster night I ordered the lobster, but Florin, with a twinkle in his eye, unveiled a plate of steak and lobster for me. Simple, Kind, and Outstanding service.

Sometimes it's the unexpected delight of someone. Our MDR waiter, Florin, knew I mostly order a beef dish at dinner. On Lobster night I ordered the lobster, but Florin, with a twinkle in his eye, unveiled a plate of steak and lobster for me. Simple, Kind, and Outstanding service.

Reminds me of a story on Millennium. DW and I knew that ordering from the menu the following night could be a problem for us. We asked our Head Waiter if it was possible to have filet as a substitute. He said that he would try. We were in Select and when we entered the diningroom we were led to a "special" table. Two waiters delivered our Ialternative dinner, the filet plate from the Olympic. I should mention that I knew all involved from past cruises.

Love threads like this since they enable us to remember wonderful events and very special people.

Hubby "lost" his wedding ring on our last cruise....we couldn't find it anywhere. Oh, well, we thought.

After dinner and drinks, we headed back to the cabin...and lo and behold, there's the ring with a note from our attendant....she found it when she was doing the "turn-down" service. So happy!

We'd written it off.....and would never have known if it had been found....I'd say that's excellent service!!!

Just one more example of Celebrity's outstanding service:

A long time ago someone had recommended a special chocolate dessert with a fancy name that was occasionally on the menu in the dining room at lunch time only.

We happened to recognize it on the menu one day so we thought we would try it.

Shortly after we ordered it, the waiter returned along with the maitre d' apologizing that they had run out of it, but asked for our cabin number, explaining that they would have some made for us and delivered to our cabin that night.

We thought that was very considerate of them and appreciated the offer, but since it really didn't matter to us, we replied that it was not necessary and we would just try the dessert another time.

We refused to give them our cabin number. They did not know us by name, so we figured that was the end of it and forgot all about it.

The following night we were seated at dinner in another part of the dining room. At the end of the meal, they brought out a large tray with that chocolate dessert, not only for us, but for everyone at our table.

This incident made a lasting impression on us because it occurred on one of our early cruises, long before we became elite, when we were staying in a regular cabin, not a suite. We had no status with the cruise line of any kind. They didn't know or care who were were or what kind of accommodations we had, but it was obvious that they just wanted to make their passengers happy.

The best outstanding service I witnessed on all of our Celebrity cruises was on a Solstice Barcelona cruise. Several friends had flown in from Miami direct to Barcelona 3 days prior to the start of the cruise. Two of the four people did not have their luggage make it to Barcelona. After sharing clothes , buying some new clothes, no luggage had arrived by the morning we were all to board the ship. The luggage was on a flight from Madrid to Barcelona. They had already spent countless hours on the phone with the airline, customer service, trying to track the bags and trips back to the airport. We boarded the ship, they went to guest relations, and the concierge desk, to see what if anything else could be done about having the luggage make it to the next port. Celebrity sent one of their employees to go back to the airport, to check to see if it had arrived. The Celebrity employee got their luggage and made it back to the ship 40 minutes before sailing.

It was a great way to start the cruise.

I've been on a lot of cruises and have received absolutely fantastic service on each one, but the one I remember most was as followed.

We were on the Infinity sailing into Sitka on a Sunday morning. The cathedral in Sitka was one of the most important reasons for us selecting that particular itinerary. My wife had grown up Russian Orthodox had heard about that cathedral all her life, and here we were arriving on Sunday morning. We really, really, really wanted to get off the ship early to try to attend liturgy at the church, but based on the times listed on the programs, we doubted that was possible. Okay, maybe we could get there before the end of the service so that we could at least meet some of the people who attended liturgy there on a regular basis.

I explained our situation to the concierge, and viola, there was a tender ticket for the first tender that morning. Yes, we were on the first tender and did attend liturgy in the Cathedral.

It doesn't seem like much to others, but it absolutely made our trip. I still LOVE Celebrity for that.

On our recent Summit cruise to Bermuda, the bartender in Michaels Club went above and beyond.

My husband is a beer drinker, hence we were in Michaels Club. I am a very selective wine drinker, as certain types give me an instant headache and I try to avoid them like the plague. I really liked the french rose that was available by the glass in some of the bars.

They apparently ran out of "my" rose, and instead of telling me that and asking me to choose something else, the bartender went to another bar to get it for me. That was really kind of him and totally unexpected, but greatly appreciated.

Maitre 'd on Milly Select dining caught on that we were veggie lovers. No matter where we were seated, he noted it and flagged the waiter to deliver a platter of grilled vegetables for our table of four.

Same cruise (our first on Celebrity) we were in MDR first night and we were really impressed with the food. The waiter mentioned that tomorrow was formal night and it would be even better. We told him that we had opted not to bring the acceptable formal dress and had planned on just going to the buffet. They said no problem they would have coats available for the men (women had brought things that were within the guidelines). So we went, but they had given out all the coats. The other male that was in our group (not DH) felt extremely uncomfortable - he didn't even have a long sleeve shirt on - so we left even thought they were saying please come in (people at the back of the line to go into Select probably thought we were being turned away - which was not the case). The same Maitre 'd called our cabin and offered to send down plates of seabass. We thanked him, but declined as we had already had dinner in the buffet. Next night - he had four orders of seabass available for us. This maitre 'd alone sold us on Celebrity as our first choice as cruise line. Really kind of dreading going back to NCL (only cruise that worked with our work schedules) for our next cruise. We will miss that special Celebrity service.

We like a cooked breakfast served to us so we tend to have breakfast in the MDR.

An Assistant Maitre'd on Silhouette last year offered heard that we had an early excursion the following morning and offered to get the MDR open 5 minutes early so that we could have a fighting chance of getting breakfast before we left.

I thought this qualified as outstanding service.

It's not always about "doing something extra", often it's just the way in which something is done. But, here are two examples of what we've experienced. We returned to our cabin one evening to find a wonderful tray of chocolate covered strawberrys with a note from the Executive Chef thanking us for comlimenting the dinner that evening. Another time we received a call from the Maitre 'd in Murano informing us that we had a reservation for that evening. We told him that we didn't make a reservation and he informed us that a member of the Senior Staff wanted to treat us. After much effort we found out that it was from the Hotel Director.

Reminds me of a story on Millennium. DW and I knew that ordering from the menu the following night could be a problem for us. We asked our Head Waiter if it was possible to have filet as a substitute. He said that he would try. We were in Select and when we entered the diningroom we were led to a "special" table. Two waiters delivered our Ialternative dinner, the filet plate from the Olympic. I should mention that I knew all involved from past cruises.

Love threads like this since they enable us to remember wonderful events and very special people.

Orator; do you mind telling us how many cruise credits you have?

What you rec'd was above and beyond extra special service.:)

While on the Infinity, one evening my husband's back kept him from coming to dinner. Our waitstaff asked why he wasn't with me and if he had been, what would he have ordered. I thought little of it at the time and was completely shocked to find DH propped up in bed surrounded by a lovely dinner when I returned to the cabin. The waitstaff had even sent me a dessert since I skipped mine to get back to check on DH.

This was just the first of many kindnesses that have been shown to us on Celebrity.

On our recent cruise on the Solstice our stateroom ( 9338) attendant Peter always stopped what he was doing when he saw us and rushed to open our door.. He and his assistant were PERFECT!!!! .. and of course we tipped extra!! When I asked the assistant if he was getting time in port, he said no because he was too tired and needed to sleep on his hours off. He still managed to smile and do extras. At the end of the cruise Peter said that he did not feel like he was working when he did our cabin and then he hugged us!!

we moved to AQ for the next cruise and most days had a dirty cabin with things missing.

Two years ago on the Eclipse my DH had severe bronchitis and stayed in the cabin almost two days. He was too sick to eat or order anything from room service. Our cabin steward on his own initiative came in every couple of hours with hot chicken soup for him.

I thought he went above and beyond.

We were on a cruise and all the waffle machines were broken. I know, that is a tragedy for Texed. Well, when the Food and Beverage Manager heard how much I loved the waffles, he repaired one of the waffle irons. They delivered waffles to our room each morning. :)

Karynanne, I remember a wonderful sailaway party on your balcony in Alaska many cruises ago! Lovely memories.

On Millie this last Christmas time I had some door decorations on my cabin door. While we were in the theater that evening they disappeared. I couldn't imagine who would have taken them. The next day our room steward told me that he found them and put them in their station. He returned them. Now this was nothing of value, like the wedding ring mentioned, but just an example of the crew going out of their way to take

care of a passenger.

On a Hawaii cruise several years ago there were 25 foot swells, and the MDR was sparsely populated for two days. During our meal second night out, an especially huge swell caused a swaying waiter to dump his entire tray on my head and lap. I was perfectly fine but covered in food. Husband and I burst into laughter. Diners stood up to see the woman covered in lamb shank and linguini. It was hilarious.

Despite giving him lots of hugs and reassurance that it was side splittingly funny, our waiter was mortified. A huge bouquet of flowers appeared at our table when I returned after changing.

For the remainder of the cruise the young man came by every night with flowers. Each piece of our laundry was done everyday. If we didn't set it out, the head housekeeper declared the captain would be very upset. (hee-hee) Officers stopped me to express apologies several times.

It wasn't so much what these thoughtful people did, it was the care, kindness and sincerity they showed me. They were genuinely concerned that I was physically OK, and that my cruise experience was not affected. On a ship this has to be a regular occurrence, but Celebrity's response was unforgettable.

Archived