Bistro on 5 Question

saffy12

I haven't seen this asked before... I know Bistro on 5 costs $5 to eat there, and I see on the sample menus posted it says "$5 per person". But, if I want to get a savory crepe for an entree and then a sweet one for dessert, is that still just 1 $5 fee? Or is it $5 per item ordered?

I know, that sounds both cheap and piggish at the same time, but just want to know how it works.....

We also had really good salads as a starter with our crepes then had dinner then dessert. Highly recommended. You can eat all you want, but they are very filling so save room for dessert. It's worth it.

Tom

I haven't seen this asked before... I know Bistro on 5 costs $5 to eat there, and I see on the sample menus posted it says "$5 per person". But, if I want to get a savory crepe for an entree and then a sweet one for dessert, is that still just 1 $5 fee? Or is it $5 per item ordered?

I know, that sounds both cheap and piggish at the same time, but just want to know how it works.....

I am looking forward to eating here. Does the cover charge include tips or should we tip extra? We do happily tip for good service etc but just want to know what is the done thing when going somewhere new. Thank you.

I loved Bistro on five so much that I added a $10.00 tip. I didn't know how often we'd eat there. We ended up eating there 4 more times... I had the same waiter each time and was afraid to lower the tip- and he'd think he'd done something wrong...

So note to self... next time leave a tip- just not $10!

We are about to embark on the Summit and my son and I are both salivating about Bistro on Five.

Thanks for all the responses - I appreciate it!

We've pretty much decided against spending extra on specialty restaurants, but for only $5 for the entire meal, this might be an exception....

Thanks!

You will love it. My favorites were the "Italian"- a banana, pistachio, nutella crepe and the "Mediterranean"- a chicken, pesto and sun dried tomato crepe.

But you can build your own crepe or order paninis instead and each dish comes with either a fruit salad or little garden salad.

IMG_1101.jpg.bda238c3f05c6ba32e34315550ead992.jpg

IMG_1102.jpg.780a84c7eac58dd6372308ff76d48c24.jpg

Generally speaking, the fee at all of the specialty restaurants on X is the tip. If you want to give more, you may, but it is not required.

The cover charge for the specialty restuarants includes a base tip but it is not ALL tip money. The remainder of the fee goes to the company for costs and profit. This has been discussed quite a bit on these threads over the years but there has never been any clear indication what percentage of the charge goes for gratuities, only that some portion does.

Bistro on 5 was a life saver! The food was spot on, tasty and hot and flavourful. The service was attentive and friendly and timely. We went every day after the second day. Wish we had gone the first day for lunch as advised!

My best tip? GO FOR BREAKFAST!!

Honest. The best, by far, morning meal to be had aboard, is in Bistro on 5.

The crêpes complete, egg, ham, cheese, or with bacon, was just delicious. I had them add green onions and loved that. Another time I had the cowboy with the pesto sauce instead of the blu cheese.

They were very agreeable about modifying the fillings.

The orange crêpe was tasty but suzette fans will be disappointed, it is NOT suzette.

The fruit salad with the morning crêpes was very nice and I had that with my savory crêpes as well, as I didn't personally care much for the little vegetable salad they served. The Spouse loved it however ; -)

They will happily serve you whatever you want off the menu until you are full, but be warned, the food is so good you will fill up faster than you expect!

We took the whole family, all 11, for final dinner on the ship. Over all it was the best one we had aboard.

Special kudos go to the staff on the Millennium's Bistro; Audry, Rickelle (sp?) and the lovely woman, tall, black, smiling, who cooked there at the crêpe irons were all just super.

Do skip the English Trifle. Jello, fruit cocktail, aerosol whipped creme and stale cookies. THAT was dreadful ; -)

And do tip. Always tip when warranted, please ; -)

Thank you for the extra clarification about tipping. On our past cruises on another line we have always tipped more and viewed the cover charge as not fully covering tips in the speciality restaurant.

Threads on speciality restaurants cover charge and whether to tip as well or not always raised a few hackles with cruisers on the other line I have cruised on. Seems it would be better if the cruise lines actually made things clearer.

However I am looking forward to eating here very much.

So, are they open for breakfast and lunch every day? Or just on sea days?

All day. In february they only closed from 2-6am:eek:

The place seemed to have a small staff.

If you go when gelato is available you can even get that on your crepe, although there is an additional fee.

Bistro on 5 is a wonderful place for lunch on embarkation day. Avoids the crowds at the buffet and quickly gets you into cruising mode.

Greetings

When we boarded Equinox in Port Everglades the gangplank was located just across from Bistro on Five. With the arrival of the passengers and the staff handing out mimosas, it was very crowded around that entire area. We did hit it later during the cruise and it was very good, but it seemed undoable on embarktion day.

Good Sailing

Tom

Greetings

When we boarded Equinox in Port Everglades the gangplank was located just across from Bistro on Five. With the arrival of the passengers and the staff handing out mimosas, it was very crowded around that entire area. We did hit it later during the cruise and it was very good, but it seemed undoable on embarktion day.

Good Sailing

Tom

Have done it many times on embarkation day and no problems. Never saw even half the tables being used. You need to walk past the crowds. There are lots of lookers, but few patrons.

Greetings

Good Sailing

Tom

Interesting enough, we've headed there on embarkation day for lunch on our past few cruses and it's never been busy. Our last cruise was on the Equinox in Port Everglades last March and we went there not long after we boarded, probably about 12:30, and were the first group there.

I guess it might vary a lot on each cruise as it is not a huge place so it doesn't take a lot of people to fill it up.

ON BREAKFAST (and other meals): They have the same menu at the Bistro at all times. There are some breakfast crepes, other savory crepes, and dessert crepes as well as some other non-crepe items on the menu. Since everything there is made to order, the staff there will also make a crepe with anything you'd like if you want to mix and match a bit bit from the ingredients they have on hand.

So, are they open for breakfast and lunch every day? Or just on sea days?

Everyday....all day.....actually the hours are from early morning till

very late.

We always make a beeline right for Bistro on Five, even if staff try to direct us to the Buffet.

We saw many people walk up, look at the menu (probably see the $5) charge and walk away. Their loss!

Besides the delicious crepes, I would recommend the excellent soups - we had great seafood gumbo and lobster bisque. Another cruiser told us they had amazing creme brûlée which I will have to remember to try on Summit!

Here are some of our favorites.

Indian summer crepe:

2181435020104945102S600x600Q85.jpg

Sweet and sour crepe

2355962450104945102S600x600Q85.jpg

Italian crepe

2132552270104945102S600x600Q85.jpg

Archived