Porter question

Does the tip for the porter go exclusively to the one that handles the luggage at the curb to the ship personnel or is it divided up with the ship crew that deliver it to the stateroom? I have always wondered who was recieving the tips.

The porters work for the port authority not the cruise line. The tip you give the folks that check in and handle your bags at the port goes solely to them. On the ship you luggage is delivered by housekeeping and cabin stewards. Your gratuity at the end of your cruise compensates them for that.

In a few occassions I have had a crew member - not our steward - knock on our door and carry in our luggage - gave him a few dollars - most other times its either sitting in our cabin and who knows who brought it in or its sitting outside our door for us to bring in ourselves. We have also been walking the hallway and spotted our luggage and just grabbed it - no problem.

• 2 weeks later...
How much do you tip the porter when you disembark? Since they usually get you through the custom line much faster.

WE usually tip them $5 for 3 bags. We have tipped as much as $10 for the same 3 bags if they get us all the way out and to a cab in a timely manner.

I've never seen a ship's baggage delivery person. We tip the porter who takes our bags when we arrive at the ship. The bags magically appear in our cabin....I've never seen anyone TO tip! Same with leaving the ship...the bags go in the hall....I've never seen anyone pick them up.....we retrieve them once off the ship.

Nothing I worry about at all.

Oh..if you hand someone cash, you can bet it goes straight into their pocket.

What do you tip the porters that take you bags at the terminal? I usually do $15 for a family of 6 (maybe 10 or 11 bags, some small).

That sounds more than fair. I usually tip $5 for 2 of us. I have seen the bags moved 2 feet for that tip, literally, they just turn around and put it on a cage. Now I realize that someone else comes along and rolls that cage to the staging area. It's all a process handled by the port authority porters. I've also seen the tips immediately handed over to a supervisor - pooled. The curb side porters are not allowed on the ship, so no, they are not taking your bags to your cabin.

I tip more when returning to port, where they walk me through customs. $20 for 4 of us, $10 for 2.

Archived