Trivia contests and other on-board activities

Snackdaddy

Greetings,

In my experience, on Royal Caribbean ships, the trivia contests have been extremely competitive with every team trying to win the logo baseball cap, umbrella or vulcanized rubber key chain. :rolleyes:

How would you describe the trivia contests on RSSC ships? Are they very competitive or are they on the lighter fun side of things? And how are teams generally formed? Do teams look for experts in specific content areas or do they tend to select people with general random knowledge.

Finally, what other types of on-board activities are your favorites?

Thanks in advance.

Whether the contest is "highly competitive" I don't know but I can say that answers are sometimes hotly disputed!! You play for Regent tokens which you can redeem a day before you disembark for logo ware. before you get excited though let me say that it is not great stuff! Things like caps, visors, bookmarks etc. The very best thing I ever managed to find (and it really IS good) is a luggage scale!

We always play Trivia and have met some very nice people while doing so... 4.30pm in the Horizon Lounge on the Mariner and the Voyager and in Gallileo's on the Navigator.

Greetings,

Finally, what other types of on-board activities are your favorites?

Thanks in advance.

These are a few of my favorite things:p (on-board activities):

• Wine Tasting
  • Single Malt Scotch Tasting
  • Mixology Lessons
  • Crew Pool Deck Carnival
  • Galley Tours
  • Dance Lessons
  • Bridge Lessons
  • About 70% of the lectures

Many of these were on longer (>14 days) cruises and on cruises with several sea days. The Scotch tasting though was on each of three Navigator Segements in the Med when we did a B2B2B.:D There are other "contest" sorts of things from time to time (e.g., Golf chipping into one of the Hot Tubs:rolleyes:)that can gain you the coveted Regent Tokens:p.

We love trivia and it is quite competitive. Teams are put together rather randomly at the beginning of the cruise and tend to stay together. It could be someone you are sitting next to that you invite to join your team. We established a team last year through Roll Call on CruiseCritic. Five members of the team will be on another cruise next year and already have set our team up (plus one new member). It really helps if there is a British person and an American on your team since that makes up the majority of passengers and there will definitely be questions that are specific to these parts of the world.

We also enjoy wine tasting and, on cruises with several sea days, we take part in the Country Faire -- a lot of fun where the passengers and the officers really let their hair down (so to speak). We always attend Liar's Club and do quite poorly in knowing who is lying.

While I am guessing that Regent is a bit more subdued than Royal Caribbean, you can still enjoy many activities on board.

sometimes it's competetive, but usually all in good spirits. We've been on a few Regent cruises and participated in the trivia..on some we had a team which established either at the beginning by where we were sitting, other times we met somewhere else and decided to be a team. We usually had a fun and so does everyone else. Especially nice if you have a group with a variety of ages (covers more knowledge :-) ).

On one particular cruise however, we had a few people who probably thought that winning was everything. One person changed teams each day, trying to join the the winner of the day before...then arguing half of the answers or demanding that an answer given in short or "somewhat incomplete like (What is the capital of Belgium? Answer: Brussels...he argued that it had to be Brussels, Belgium, etc etc). Annoying to some, entertaining for others :-)

Overall, it's fun and light hearted and the prizes are not worth getting upset over.

On the last one, we participated when we had time, other days we were out or busy with other things.

Trivia is a great way to meet new people, but don't take it serious and avoid the ones who really do :-)

Trivia can get pretty competitive sometimes and some teams take it all way too seriously and I've seen some sneaky Googling but overall it's done in the right spirit. Sessions usually take place during or just after afternoon tea and sometimes around lunchtime too on sea days. Types of question tends to be down to the cruise director, eg, Jamie Logan likes sports questions (groan) and Ray Solaire always asks a Harry Potter question!

Travelcat (American) and her DH (originally Brit)...it is so invaluable to have both, and a Canadian on your team. It is competitive, but better than being brain dead. No one will shoot you if you don't win. We LOVE it.

Travelcat (American) and her DH (originally Brit)...it is so invaluable to have both, and a Canadian on your team. It is competitive, but better than being brain dead. No one will shoot you if you don't win. We LOVE it.

Trying to remember if we won when you and Joe were on our team. Winning doesn't matter -- but being with wonderful people does. Our Voyager cruise started a true friend ship that will last forever. Very thankful:)

Ah yes, the shipboard TRIVIA contests!

We were disappointed on our RSSC cruise TRIVIA event this past April. The crew was not enthusiastic and the personnel who ran it changed daily.

We noted that the same questions were asked on the previous cruise and those who were aboard for multiple legs had all the answers and won.

It’s a trivial matter, but TRIVIA on ship is a lotta fun for some.

Seabourn has the most heated competition and toughest questions. Teams get very serious about it.

The best cruising TRIVIA contests in our opinion have been on Seabourn. And the prizes there have been quite nice (a silver pen, a mahogany jewel box and a not so impressive leather book marker).

On Regent the person doing Trivia does change a lot -- and some are better than others at it. Some clearly do not like it, and make this obvious! The worst (for our team, but not as person!) was on the last cruise when Ray Solaire the CD took over. He included a Harry Potter question on every Trivia and we could never get it right!! And we weren't the only ones. A howl of despair would go up when he announced the question! It was very funny, really!!

I don't mind the Harry potter questions as I know all those answers, but I hate trick questions.

Paul Reynolds and elda are doing trivia together on this cruise , and they clearly enjoy it. Both saw me in the hall prior and refused to show me the questions despite my offering bribes!

I don't mind the Harry potter questions as I know all those answers, but I hate trick questions.

Paul Reynolds and elda are doing trivia together on this cruise , and they clearly enjoy it. Both saw me in the hall prior and refused to show me the questions despite my offering bribes!

The heck with the questions, if you are going to bribe them, ask for the answers!!

We have played trivia pretty regularly for our last few cruises. It tends to be crowded, kind of raucous, somewhat serious, but a lot of fun. We have NEVER joined one group and stayed with it for the duration of the cruise. We just come in and sit where we can, and that means either joining people, or having people come in and sit with us. So we've never had the concept of an ongoing "team".

On Navigator this spring, the Asst CD, Chris did trivia almost every day, and he was a hoot. The questions tailed off towards the end--retreads and questions reused from the daily quiz.

Archived