Is Food Really that Bad on HAL

Funsun60

The MDR food is generally fine. We prefer to dine in the specialty restaurants; more for a quiet meal unrushed meal and truly outstanding service than for the food. The MDR on any ship is a more rushed experience because of their serving time constraints to serve hundreds at the same time. The specialty dining is more like an upper end restaurant experience in food and atmosphere. Every HAL ship that I've been on has a very good buffet that we normally do for breakfast and lunch.

We've never been disappointed in the MDR...certainly, like any land based restaurant (thinking of the $300 dinner last night for my birthday at an island restaurant that was extremely disappointing...one thing, when the server brought the dinners for the rest of us last night for my birthday, he informed my DH, "oh, we're out of baked haddock". HELLO???) , sometimes things aren't what we consider perfect, but overall, with almost 100 days on HAL, it's been 99% great...can't ask for more. For a gourmet quality steak, I would suggest the Pinnacle...it's a wonderful dining experience.

Anyone who knows me well, knows that I am super critical when it comes to food and service. Sometimes to a fault. That said I think the food on HAL is just fine for what it is. Of the four cruise lines I have been on, its been significantly better than two of them, Carnival and Norwegian. The other one is Seabourn and considering the difference in price, its unreasonable to expect HAL to be at the same level as they are. I think the food in the MDR is good for the most part. I do feel they don't do a good job with steaks, but everything else has been quite satisfying. Some things are better than others, but I have not had anything that was truly bad or comparable to "fast food". They are not going to compete with your favorite land-based 5 star restaurant, but most places cant. It's your favorite for a reason, right? My biggest gripe with the MDR is in the service. Its just not as good as it used to be or as it should be.

The Lido is as good or any other buffet I have experienced, and better than most. They have a good variety, everything seems fresh enough and its well prepared.

IMO, the Canaletto should just be avoided. I find it to be very much on par with Olive Garden. But, its been my experience that Olive Garden is always quite busy, so they must be doing something right. Its just not my favorite thing.

The Pinnacle is the shining star of HAL dining. I feel its as good as most higher-end land based restaurants. The food is consistently good and the service is attentive, but not obtrusive. Sure, I've dined at better restaurants, but the list is not very long. I think its a great upgrade for the price and dine there often.

So, if your expecting something that's going to blow you away, you're apt to be disappointed. But if you accept what it is, a restaurant trying to serve hundreds of people at once, you should not be unhappy with what you get onboard HAL.

Wish I'd said that - very well put. The only thing I'd disagree with is Ca naletto, it's not as good as Olive Garden...

Hi

I was on HAL Amserdam June29-July13 I am a very picky eater all I can say the food was outstanding. I ate all my meals in the MDR. The selection was excellent. The cold soup was outstanding I am going to see if I can find a reciept for those. One night at dinner I asked for seconds it was so good.

Mary

Are you referring to the cold blueberry soup? Love it, love it, love it! Does anyone have the recipe for it? I made it once from some recipe (not HAL's), but it wasn't as good.

I am getting the impression from some posts the MDR meals almost equate with fast food cafes as opposed to medium/high range restaurants.

Expecting medium-high range dining on a mass market cruise line serving thousands of meals to passengers who have paid about $100 p/p, per day seems a tad unrealistic. It's banquet food, very good banquet food and some outstanding dishes.

We were very happy with the food on HAL, but we are not foodies. We noticed some differences between 2008 and 2011, but mostly in the fresh fruit category and the dessert category. I really missed the berry bowls in 2011. In 2008 we could ask for them at any meal and get a nice bowl of berries for either an appetizer or a dessert. Not available in 2011. :( Main entrees seemed to be similar in quality best we could remember. The only "real" complaint I had about the food was the high sodium content. However, that is pretty much par for the course in these kinds of dining situations.

In 2011 we had one meal in the Pinnacle, compliments of our TA. My husband said the filet he had there was the best he has had anywhere. I am vegetarian and found the veggie option in the Pinnacle underwhelming. Definitely not as good as what I was able to get in the main dining room and the Canelleto.

It sounds like I am in the minority, but I loved the Canelleto. We ate there several nights on our 14 day cruise and was always very pleased. I loved their vegetarian options. I guess we were also fortunate that we had excellent service there. We had no complaints. Sorry to hear others did not have the same experience.

I've always found the food on HAL to be good enough for me. The beef in the Pinnacle might be better if they could get it from Argentina, Japan, or Australia. You know, the places that produce the best beef without question. ;)

Of course if you are from some other beef producing area, I'm sure that's the best.

Sometimes slow in MDR, Sometimes the wrong things are brought, BUT Always Great to Exceptional food on HAL. Wish they had Warm Chocolate Melting Cake & Bitter & Blanc then I would be in HEAVEN...

We Love Tamarind, and Canaletto and really really like MDR when the order is right.

Sometimes slow in MDR, Sometimes the wrong things are brought, BUT Always Great to Exceptional food on HAL. Wish they had Warm Chocolate Melting Cake & Bitter & Blanc then I would be in HEAVEN...

We Love Tamarind, and Canaletto and really really like MDR when the order is right.

Next cruise eat in the Pinnacle and order, if I remember the name correctly, Grand Marnier Chocolate Volcano Cake - something with all those words in it. Heaven.

Next cruise eat in the Pinnacle and order, if I remember the name correctly, Grand Marnier Chocolate Volcano Cake - something with all those words in it. Heaven.

We have ressies for the first time in the Pinnacle and I already have the volcano cake highlighted in yellow!! Can't wait.

I think HAL MDR is good to very good with an occasional excellent. And that is fine with me since I don't have to cook it, serve it, or clean up afterwards. The meals are always enjoyable and I can find something that I like on every menu that is presented. I don't expect outstanding food because I have not paid a huge price. Call me content with HAL food.

Thanks again for all your opinions/shared experiences. I am sure we will be satisfied with the meal offerings. We have reservations in the Pinnacle for our anniversary dinner, so we are looking forward to a nice evening. When we get back, I will be sure to include our thoughts on the meals when I do our cruise review. However, food is not the primary focus for our cruise; we are on it for the great Med itinerary, so I know we will have a great time and enjoy it all. Have already printed our boarding passes, so departure date will be here before we know it. Happy cruising to everyone.

Thanks again for all your opinions/shared experiences. I am sure we will be satisfied with the meal offerings. We have reservations in the Pinnacle for our anniversary dinner, so we are looking forward to a nice evening. When we get back, I will be sure to include our thoughts on the meals when I do our cruise review. However, food is not the primary focus for our cruise; we are on it for the great Med itinerary, so I know we will have a great time and enjoy it all. Have already printed our boarding passes, so departure date will be here before we know it. Happy cruising to everyone.

Yay! Have a great time!!!

We cruise to eat for sure. To read, rest and relax is second, and sleep is third. :)

I want to hear all about your food in detail. :)

As to the OP's original queston.....No, the food is not that bad.

So, are you saying its bad, just not that bad? :D I always laugh what I hear the phrase "It's not that bad". I think the phrase "it's not bad" is a little better. But if it's not bad, I prefer to say it's good. I guess that equates to the old glass half full or half empty thing.

HAL's food is good. It's not great, but it's good. And it's much better than not that bad. :)

When they serve Meatloaf I just smile and groan just like at home when DW serves meatloaf! Try asking yourself a question when you dine on a cruise ship. Would you be willing to drive to a restaurant and buy dinner at restaurant that serves the meal you get in a cruise ship MDR? To be blunt, I would not drive 5 seconds for a Holland America steak (in the MDR) or for HA meatloaf. As to HA desserts, well we did have one great dessert (and it was at lunch in the MDR) in 62 days (and nights). Many other desserts served on the Prinsendam were actually frozen desserts (not even made on the ship). We do enjoy cruising on HA...but we no longer cruise for the food :)

Hank

Even in the best of all possible worlds that just wouldn't be possible.

We have been sailing HAL for almost 20 years which is not as long as many here. In that time we have noticed that things have changed in the dining room.

There is no doubt that quality is different from ship to ship. It can hardly be any other way, but what I refer to is different. The overall standards and quality and experience in the MDR has deteriorated.

The staff is wonderful. The dinnerware premium. The food, however, is far too inconsistent these days to justify your observation.

Is the food terrible? Well as long as we are laying our cards on the table - a terrible meal could be served. I think it doesn't happen often but overall I can sum up by what a passenger I have never met before said to me on our last cruise: "I don't don't look forward to dinner anymore". That was on the fourth night. Many of us agreed.

I think HAL has work to do in the MDR and if it is ignored or sugar coated or denied on these boards it will not bode well the the future of the MDR experience.

I do believe HAL ships are well maintained, the staff is hard working and friendly, and itineraries are interesting. The MDR is HAL's "Achilles Heel" in my view. I note it not to denigrate HAL, but in hopes it will improve.

Smooth sailing...

I think the problem is the adding of anytime dinning. On a NCL trip at the captians party he said the freestyle deal takes more crew. On the Dawn he said was 200 more than if it was traditional. HAL put it on their ships that do not have a kitchen designed for it and cut the MDR staff at the same time and I bet the kitchen staff is cut also.

Archived