Car Hire

safcftm

Hi All.

I need some advice on car hire hire in the following places.

• Naples
  • Civitavecchia
  • Livorno
  • Cannes
  • Provence

I am not looking to hire a car in every port as we might do some ship organised tours aswell but we just love getting in a car and driving to see what we can find.

Basicly I would like to know which car hire companies have offices very close to the ports (I know some even set desks up at the port entrances).

Oh and I dont need to be told where I shouldnt be driving :)

The worse driving conditions the better.

Thanks for the help.

I have two suggestions: as the previous reply said, go to ports of call pages and ask the question there. Many people have done and they can give you very specific information. Also, go to roll call section and find your specific cruise. You may find fellow cruisers who have been to the same ports before and have the information you need or someone may be organizing private tours doing exactly what interests you.

Hi All.

• Naples
  • Civitavecchia
  • Livorno
  • Cannes
  • Provence

Livorno - When you arrive there will be taxis all lined up near the pier. The Taxi Drivers in Livorno are very organized and most have books of pictures showing the individual tours they can do. You also can arange your own itinerary.

Have no info on the other ports as I used ship excursions for those.

Hi All.

• Naples
  • Civitavecchia
  • Livorno
  • Cannes
  • Provence

I am not looking to hire a car in every port as we might do some ship organised tours aswell but we just love getting in a car and driving to see what we can find.

Basicly I would like to know which car hire companies have offices very close to the ports (I know some even set desks up at the port entrances).

Thanks for the help.

Livorno - When you arrive there will be taxis all lined up near the pier. The Taxi Drivers in Livorno are very organized and most have books of pictures showing the individual tours they can do. You also can arange your own itinerary.

Have no info on the other ports as I used ship excursions for those.

Once again, this appears to be a case of the usual confusion between the British term "car hire" and the US term "rental car" or as the old saying goes, two nations divided by a common language. :D

I agree with CruiserBruce's excellent suggestion to go to the board for the

Mediterranean Ports

but would only add a suggestion to make it clear to readers on both sides of the pond whether you are looking for advice about renting a car that you will drive yourself, or hiring a car that comes with a driver. :)

As CruiserBruce recommended I would visit the ports of call boards to get the specifics.

And as fleckle mentioned be sure to clarify whether you want to rent a car or get a taxi or private car. I think based on your post you are saying rent a car but if that is the case I would use those words just because there are so many from the USA who post to Cruise Critic.

Keith

Hi All.

• Naples
  • Civitavecchia
  • Livorno
  • Cannes
  • Provence

Thanks for the help.

A man of my heart since we also love to drive in most European ports (and on lengthy driving trips. So lets talk about these ports based on our own experience,

Naples - There are quite a few rental car companies that have offices within walking distance of the port. Hertz actually has an office inside the port gates (it can still be a several block walk depending on your docking location.

Civitavecchia - Here again Hertz is the most convenient. You can take the free port shuttle bus from your ship to the main port entrance and then walk about 2 1/2-3 blocks (along the water keeping the water on your right) towards the train station and you will see the Hertz agency right on your left. Europcar and Avis also have local offices but they are a bit further from the main port entrance.

Livorno- For some reason some of the rental car companies are not permitted into the port while others are able to get rental cars right to the pier. The winner here is again Hertz who seems to always be able to deliver cars right to the ships. The local Hertz franchisee can be contacted directly through their web site.........Sifracar.com

Cannes - We have used both Europcar and Hertz here...but they are both located a long walk (about a mile) from the port. However somebody told me there is now a rental car dealer much closer to the port which is a company called "Mistral" so you might want to google them. Although we have not tried Mistral their location sure looks convenient and others have said they are OK.

Provence- There is no such port as Provence is a large compartment (region) or France. There are two ports normally used in the region ...Marseille and Toulons. In Marseille there are many rental car offices near the St Charles train station but you would need to use a shuttle bus (plue long walk) or a taxi to get to that area. We have never been to Toulons on a ship so cannot help.

If you want more specific info on any of the ports or regions just post on the Ports of Call/Europe and then the appropriate board where a few of us will help.

Hank

A man of my heart since we also love to drive in most European ports (and on lengthy driving trips. So lets talk about these ports based on our own experience,

Naples - There are quite a few rental car companies that have offices within walking distance of the port. Hertz actually has an office inside the port gates (it can still be a several block walk depending on your docking location.

Civitavecchia - Here again Hertz is the most convenient. You can take the free port shuttle bus from your ship to the main port entrance and then walk about 2 1/2-3 blocks (along the water keeping the water on your right) towards the train station and you will see the Hertz agency right on your left. Europcar and Avis also have local offices but they are a bit further from the main port entrance.

Livorno- For some reason some of the rental car companies are not permitted into the port while others are able to get rental cars right to the pier. The winner here is again Hertz who seems to always be able to deliver cars right to the ships. The local Hertz franchisee can be contacted directly through their web site.........Sifracar.com

Cannes - We have used both Europcar and Hertz here...but they are both located a long walk (about a mile) from the port. However somebody told me there is now a rental car dealer much closer to the port which is a company called "Mistral" so you might want to google them. Although we have not tried Mistral their location sure looks convenient and others have said they are OK.

Provence- There is no such port as Provence is a large compartment (region) or France. There are two ports normally used in the region ...Marseille and Toulons. In Marseille there are many rental car offices near the St Charles train station but you would need to use a shuttle bus (plue long walk) or a taxi to get to that area. We have never been to Toulons on a ship so cannot help.

If you want more specific info on any of the ports or regions just post on the Ports of Call/Europe and then the appropriate board where a few of us will help.

Hank

This is the best advice ever.

You have sorted all of my reserch in one post.

Even guessing the fact that we were stopping in Marseille (when I stupidly wrote Provence).

Mistral looks good for Cannes and I have booked with them so I will report back.

Hertz looks to be the winner with everything else.

Thanks again Hank.

Archived