Taking kids out of school ?

SportsMomof4

How many of you take your children out of school to cruise? If you do, does the school give you a hard time?

We have never done it but thinking it's a lot more affordable with a family of 6.

Would love to hear what others think :confused:

I have taken my children out of school for vacations a couple of times. The first time, ds was in grade 8 , dd in grade 6 and ds in kindergarten and we were gone for 2 week in May for a Disney Med cruise. The second time, I had 2 weeks off school, but the older two had one. DS#1 was left home, dd was in grade 8 and ds#2 had the week off school.

Now that my 2 oldest are in high school, there won't be any trips during school for the next 4 years - until they're both in college. I'm toying with the idea of taking ds#2 and doing a lot of travel when he's in grade 6 and the other two are gone.

We live in Canada. The school did not give us a hard time.

As a child of a teacher, our vacations were restricted to school break. I always hated the kids that would go at other times do to it being more convenient for their parents (for whatever reason).

From the people I know with young kids, once the oldest kid hit middle school, that was the end of pulling them out as it was too hard to catch up when they got back.

I've pulled DS1 (7) out of school for a few days for trips, but never a whole week or more. In 2013 they will miss the Friday before and Monday after March Break. The school doesn't give us a hard time about pulling the kids, but we always give lots of advance notice and return them to class with their assignments complete. However DH is a vice principal in our board, and many admin people pull their young kids a day or two before the official breaks to vacation, so it's somewhat accepted in our area.

I won't be pulling either of my kids out in years where they have standardized testing (EQAO) as that hear is tough enough as it is. IMHO a day or two here and there isn't a big deal, but I start getting concerned about a week or more. I was pulled 2 weeks at a time as a child and did fine, but school moves much more quickly now.

I always swore I wouldn't be one of those parents that pulls their kids out of school for a holiday but that's exactly what I'll be doing in February next year ;)

It just so happens that my annual leave was assigned to me in February & it was impossible to change it to a time that corresponded with school holidays. My girls will be at school for only 2 weeks of the new year before we take them out for 1.5 weeks. They'll be in years 7, 5 & 3. I haven't mentioned it to the school out but I hope/think they'll be ok with it.

Luckily as their grandmother I have always been able to take the boys out of school for cruises. We always included in those trips educational parts. They always had to write and often share with their class what they seen and learned. The oldest is now in high school in AP classes and we will not be taking him out.

Last summer I took them to Europe for three weeks in the summer. Part of it a cruise. When they both went back to school they both were surprised to have some of what we seen covered in their classes.

This is really a tough call. First of all- it puts a lot of pressure on the child because they will have to make up that work when they get back. Also- in Maryland it is totally frowned upon by the school administrator.

I have taken my older son on a Caribbean cruise but he went to private school and they were fine with it. In 2009 I took my son out for a few days over President's weekend. And it ended up snowing in Maryland and school was closed for two of those days- so he only ended up missing two days of school.

Now I would not do it. My son is struggling in middle school and with keeping up with all his subjects. It wouldn't be fair to him.

You have to make the decision that is best for your children. I have noticed that Easter week is not usually expensive- unlike Thanksgiving and Christmas. Also- I got great deals on summer cruises this year.

When our son was younger we pulled him for a day at each end of a long weekend (teacher conferences) for a land trip. Once he was in upper elementary grades it was way too much to miss to be gone even 3 days so won't do it anymore.

If it were a once in a lifetime trip that could only be taken while school was in session, I would possibly do it but not just to save money. No one has to have a week long or longer vacation every year to exotic locations (even though some think they do). Take a cheaper trip closer to home and save money up to pay for trips when the kids are out of school (we have to do this as I work in the schools as well and can't just take a week off when school is in session).

It really depends upon the children - how readily adaptable will they be missing classes and making up the work? And also your school system's rules.

Our DD is now 16YO and is starting her Jr year of HS. We have traditionally gone somewhere over her extended American Thanksgiving holiday. For land trips we've limited our time to coincide with the days off school, but for our cruises (five total - HI and Med) we have pulled herfrom school for a few days extra. Her schools have always been very supportive of ou decision.

DD is a good student and adapted well - has no trouble focusing on getting her work done while on the plane, working on her travel journal for class, etc. She was in independent studies for math in elementary school, so her teacher was able to adapt her curriculum to accommodate. During middle school, taking her out of classes was never a problem. Now that she is in HS we are having a really hard time - she has 2 AP classes, band and extra curriculars, and play downs for curling. She is only going to miss two band performances, one AP Chem prep session and one week's cross-country practice to fit in our family vacation this summer. The rest of the summer was just too busy ( band, soccer, work, running, curling camp, parades, prep sessions, etc.).

It really depends upon the children - how readily adaptable will they be missing classes and making up the work? And also your school system's rules.

Our DD is now 16YO and is starting her Jr year of HS. We have traditionally gone somewhere over her extended American Thanksgiving holiday. For land trips we've limited our time to coincide with the days off school, but for our cruises (five total - HI and Med) we have pulled herfrom school for a few days extra. Her schools have always been very supportive of ou decision.

DD is a good student and adapted well - has no trouble focusing on getting her work done while on the plane, working on her travel journal for class, etc. She was in independent studies for math in elementary school, so her teacher was able to adapt her curriculum to accommodate. During middle school, taking her out of classes was never a problem. Now that she is in HS we are having a really hard time - she has 2 AP classes, band and extra curriculars, and play downs for curling. She is only going to miss two band performances, one AP Chem prep session and one week's cross-country practice to fit in our family vacation this summer. The rest of the summer was just too busy ( band, soccer, work, running, curling camp, parades, prep sessions, etc.).

I agree, it really depends on the child and your circumstances. We have taken DS out of school for a few days over thanksgiving break to cruise and will do it again this year. He is a senior in HS and will be missing 5 days. 2 of the days will be internship days. I am hoping the school will let him do internship work on the ship. He wants to be in the music industry (Audio production) and can maybe interview some of the performers on the ship if they would let him. He had a chance this summer to interview 10 bands at WARPFEST and loved it. Also he will take the DJ scratch academy classes on the boat. so he would only miss 3 days. All of this will become part of his senior project. Why not wait til summer? He wants to graduate and start collage in the summer semester to get a head start. He has already taken collage classes last year and had to go to collage every day of his HS spring break. His GPA is 3.46 . i think he will be fine making up the work. Now if he was struggling and not doing well he would not go with.

Missing school for a holiday has no more a negative impact than missing school when they're ill. And children can get over that.

It's obviuosly not ideal to miss school, but it's also not ideal never to go on holiday with parents. It's a matter of balance.

Keep in mind in the US the no child left behind policy really cracks down on truancy. So it is illegal to take your child out of school now for anything other than a death in the family or illness. If you write a note saying that your child was absent because you were out of town- you'll get a letter from the school board. This is not a legitimate absence in US public schools.

So most parents tell their kids to lie and say they were sick. I have trouble with that. I did take my son on a cruise over President's weekend because I wanted to do a winter getaway and in the future I won't do this. It isn't worth the anxiety and I don't like to lie. I think it sends two bad messages- the rules don't apply to you and that school isn't really that important.

Absence policies still can and do vary by state and within states may vary by school district.

My DDs school system requests a two week advance notice and requires a plan that outlines the classes the student plans to miss with a signature of each teacher with a sentence or two outlining the plan to complete the work the student will miss.

If your child's school or state does not allow absences for family vacations, you should take that seriously into your consideration, but US federal regs for NCLB do not deal with individual states' rights as far as absences.

Keep in mind in the US the no child left behind policy really cracks down on truancy. So it is illegal to take your child out of school now for anything other than a death in the family or illness.

Surely that can't be taken literally? As an obvious "for example", what about the serviceman on leave who will only be at home during term time? He won't be allowed to take his child on holiday?

My parents used to pull us out when we were kids because it was much cheaper for our family of five. Our school system allows students five vacation days a school year in addition to the sick days, but it had to be approved by the school principal. You might want to check on that.

My teacher's never gave me or my siblings a hard time, usually it was just a special assignment that related to our trip(s).

Took our son out of school for two days for a quick NZ trip. Taking him out for about two weeks at the end of the year for a Queensland cruise. I asked to see the school's policy on absences relating to holidays (vacations), but they apparently don't have any. Just a form (that's at the front desk) to fill out with the days the child will miss, and why. That's it. Very laid back.

The system where I used to teach would have warrants sworn out for parents who took their kids out of school. No excused vacation days and only three sick days without a doctor's note.

As a former high school teacher, taking kids out from middle school on up is a poor idea. They teach so much, so fast, that kids can get lost very easily, especially in subjects like math and the sciences. And, btw, it's not a teacher's job to get your kids caught up on things they miss because of vacations.

How many of you take your children out of school to cruise? If you do, does the school give you a hard time?

We have never done it but thinking it's a lot more affordable with a family of 6.

Would love to hear what others think :confused:

We are going on a family cruise in January and have decided to take our 9yo out of school for that week. We are going the week of MLK Day so that he is only missing 1 day. We will get his school work before hand. Me and my husband were going back and forth on this but we have come to the decision that we can only afford to cruise during the "off season" plus my husband hates to be hot :-)

On another note----when my 9yo goes to high school we will probably not take him out of school. He will be exposed to more on the cruise than his classroom. And we came to that conclussion after a few families explained to me that they take thier kids out of school as well. Family time is important too

My parents used to take me out of school all the time to travel when I was a kid.

I never ever remember having a problem making up the schoolwork.

I will always remember every single one of those family vacations.

Granted, I'm 47 but my family vacations will be the things I'm remembering on my deathbed, the things that are important.

Yes, we've taken our kids out of school for vacation and all four have managed to graduate with four year degrees from very good colleges.

I think it really depends on the child and school district. My DD I would not have a problem taking out of school as I know she would make up the work, however DS is another story as he would use it as an excuse to skip the work.

On the other hand once DD was in high school we talked about taking 1 extra day for a long weekend and she actually asked us not to. At that point she was in multiple AP classes and was afraid of falling behind with just missing that 1 day. She is now in grad school and has realized what a great education she had compared to a lot of her classmates the last few years. Between our school district, one of the best in the area, and her schedule we just could not do it during high school.

Each parent needs to look at their child, consider their age and what they would miss to decide if it is truly in everyone's best interest before booking that family trip. There are so many opportunities in our day to day life to have family time, parents need to learn how to fit family in every day, not just on vacation if it is truly important to them.

I agree that every child is different. My son would love to skip school to do a cruise. But I know what happened this past year when he was sick for a week. He did not complete the make-up work and he really struggled. In the end he got a failing grade in one subject. This is his first year of middle school and the kids can't afford to miss a week of school.

Maybe some kids can- but if your child ends up struggling- then you can't really give them a lecture about the importance of school- when you think family time is more important.

You can have family time and vacation time without taking your kids out of school- so this is not a good justification for pulling them out.

My sons have been all over the US and Europe and didn't miss any school (except on the two occasions I mentioned previously).

As a former high school teacher, taking kids out from middle school on up is a poor idea. They teach so much, so fast, that kids can get lost very easily, especially in subjects like math and the sciences.

Middle school was a complete waste of time for my DD and I had no reservations about pulling her out for a couple of days each year for our annual Tgiving trips when she was in MS. Still finished the three years with a 4.0 - she took honors Algebra, honors geometry, freshman lab sciences and two years of high school credit Spanish in MS (. . . BTW no teacher ever had to help her make up any of her work).

My original point - each kid is different. Schools' policies vary. Know your kid(s) strengths and weaknesses. Will they be able to manage the extra work and the disruptions? Know you kids' schools' policies. There is no single right or wrong answer.

To the OP, consider some of the points various posters who have tried it have made and think about how your kids and your situation compares.

Maybe some kids can- but if your child ends up struggling- then you can't really give them a lecture about the importance of school- when you think family time is more important.

Family time is vastly more important than school time, IMO.

The question is, how to balance family time and school time, taking into account other factors (especially money). I would not agree with missing school every year just to save money - though if an opportunity comes up for a once-in-a-childhood sort of holiday, then go for it. But if there are other factors - such as for example one parent works in the UK tourist industry, which basically lasts only 2 months plus Easter now that school holidays have been more or less synchronised - then he has the choice: either take his child out of school, or never take his child on holiday at all. Obviously he takes his child out of school.

If sick children who take time out of school can catch up, then so can healthy children. Parents' decision IMO, not teachers'. It's the parents who have the first duty to bring up the children, teachers can only be advisers, not the supreme arbiters.

Archived