Car Services New York

Solara

I have used Aricebo and they were fine. Also dial 7 and carmel are fine. Use whomever of the 3 that will give you the cheapest prices. I live in Manhattan, and find Carmel to usually be a few dollars cheaper than the other 2, but you would have to call for yourself given your particular route.

I would not recommend Carmel. Dial 7 is much more reliable

Why would you not recommend them? Just wondering as there have been many good reviews for them on this board. We booked them based on the board reviews and now you have us wondering if we should cancel and to with another service. Thanks.

I notice that Carmel gets poor reviews on Yelp, especially the most recent reviews.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/carmel-car-and-limousine-service-new-york

http://www.bbb.org/new-york-city/business-reviews/limousine-service/carmel-car-limousine-service-in-new-york-ny-1519/

Dial 7 reviews are not that great either, but it sounds better than Carmel.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/dial-7-car-and-limo-service-long-island-city-2

I notice there are several reviews where the driver tried to overcharge. Is it best to pay in advance? Do you need to give a credit card with a reservation? Is it best to pay cash after your trip?

I can recommend Dial 7. We just used them for our July 22 cruise. The service was fantastic! We originally were supposed to fly into LGA and then had to change to Newark. I called and the driver was there in 10 minutes. He took us right to our hotel in Manhatten. Very nice and gave us some good advice. Again, we booked them to take us from the ship to LGA. The driver was waiting for us when we got off the ship.

I was a little skeptical because the reviews on Yelp were not that great. I risked it and was very happy with the service.

Good luck!

Why would you not recommend them? Just wondering as there have been many good reviews for them on this board. We booked them based on the board reviews and now you have us wondering if we should cancel and to with another service. Thanks.

Living in the area we have had alot of opportunities to judge the service and they have been not exact stellar service the past 2 years or so. I think you sometimes need to look past these boards to other local sights when it comes to hotels and transportation. The opinions of someone who is in NYC for 1 or 2 days pre or post cruise is always different from those who live in the area or maybe spend more time on vacation. I am sometimes amazed at how much advice people in Chicago, Boston or Miami give people about NYC.

I am sure you will be fine just confirm the time and the price with them more than once.

Living in the area we have had alot of opportunities to judge the service and they have been not exact stellar service the past 2 years or so. I think you sometimes need to look past these boards to other local sights when it comes to hotels and transportation. The opinions of someone who is in NYC for 1 or 2 days pre or post cruise is always different from those who live in the area or maybe spend more time on vacation. I am sometimes amazed at how much advice people in Chicago, Boston or Miami give people about NYC.

I am sure you will be fine just confirm the time and the price with them more than once.

Thank you. We do have the printed confirmation of our reservation showing time and cost. Do you think we would still need to confirm a few times? Our cruise is in October.

Thank you. We do have the printed confirmation of our reservation showing time and cost. Do you think we would still need to confirm a few times? Our cruise is in October.

Just confirm a few days before you will be fine..have a great cruise :)

So I think we will go with Dial 7. How much should we expect to pay? We will go from LGA to Time Square, on the website they say $29 + tolls and tip. On the return trip, we go from the Manhatten Pier to LGA, the website says $33 +tolls and tip. We also have an $5 off coupon from the web that we can add for each trip.

I've seen several reviews for Carmel and Dial 7 when people made a reservation, and they were surprised by the final cost. They added $20 in tolls, an evening surcharge, a weekend surcharge, a luggage surcharge, a waiting surcharge, a traffic surcharge, a parking surcharge. It sounded like the driver was trying to scam them. So how do we avoid this kind of a problem?

Do we need to pay in advance with the web reservation? Can we pay cash? Which is better? Any help is appreciated.

Has anyone used Arecibo Car Service? We have used them in the past but its been a few years. Any other recommendations are appreciated. Looking to go from LGA to Brooklyn hotel.

Thanks!

We've used them three times in the past two years and they have been great!

One driver got a bit lost going from Mid-Town out the the Bayonne Cruise ship terminal, but other than that, things went well.

They have drivers stationed in Manhattan, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Enjoy!

Kel:)

When we used Dial 7 we didn't pay any extra charges. Only the price to/from the airport plus the tolls, and of course, tips. Each driver told us ahead of time how much the tolls would be. No extra charges.

We've used them three times in the past two years and they have been great!

One driver got a bit lost going from Mid-Town out the the Bayonne Cruise ship terminal, but other than that, things went well.

They have drivers stationed in Manhattan, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Enjoy!

Kel:)

Good to hear about Arecibo from someone who used them recently since we haven't used them in over 3 years.

When we used Dial 7 we didn't pay any extra charges. Only the price to/from the airport plus the tolls, and of course, tips. Each driver told us ahead of time how much the tolls would be. No extra charges.

That is correct you will know ahead of time exactly what the tolls are, and whatever you tip. Just do not let anyone ever think you believe it to be any other way. the savvy traveler wins every time. This is my quoted price, this is what you get should be your attitude with all car services.

We've used Dial 7 twice and will be using them again in Nov. We have them take us from Cape Liberty to Manhattan. Once to Times Square and once to the NY Penn train station (easier to get seats on the train at the same cost and the distance to NY Penn is about the same as the distance to Newark Penn. Anyway, the drivers have been professional and the cars clean and on time.

We've used Dial 7 twice and will be using them again in Nov. We have them take us from Cape Liberty to Manhattan. Once to Times Square and once to the NY Penn train station (easier to get seats on the train at the same cost and the distance to NY Penn is about the same as the distance to Newark Penn. Anyway, the drivers have been professional and the cars clean and on time.

Just so our readers aren't misled, while the fare on Amtrak to, for example, Washington, DC may be the identical from NY Penn Station and Newark Penn Station, NJ Transit fares are not identical from these stations. Fares to or from NY Penn will always be higher than fares from Newark Penn. (I bring this up because we frequently recommend the use of NJ Transit for more local travel.)

Also, if you're coming from Cape Liberty, NY Penn Station is further away than Newark Penn Station, and the car service fare should be higher to NY Penn. (Even if the car service fares were the same, you'll pay much more in tolls to get into NY).

Can anyone confirm if there are tolls between LGA and the Brooklyn pier? Also does the car service add the tips as mandatory or do we just pay. We will tip but do not want to over tip if it is part of the pricing.

Archived