Future Cruise Credits... expired??

mikjr

couldn't find an answer for this...

about 4 years ago, we were on a HAL cruise and placed $200 down towards a future cruise. we still haven't used the two FCCs.

I have read there is a time limit to use them, but I heard that HAL will honor them no matter how long ago they were placed, you just can't get the money refunded.

I know on Princess, they don't expire, and you can get them back after 4 years

Has anyone had any experiences with this issue.

thanks...

Last I heard.......

They do not expire, however, they are non-refundable.

thanks... that's what I was hoping for... I don't want a refund... at some point in the near future, we will cruise HAL again.

couldn't find an answer for this...

about 4 years ago, we were on a HAL cruise and placed $200 down towards a future cruise. we still haven't used the two FCCs.

I have read there is a time limit to use them, but I heard that HAL will honor them no matter how long ago they were placed, you just can't get the money refunded.

I know on Princess, they don't expire, and you can get them back after 4 years

Has anyone had any experiences with this issue.

thanks...

Hi Mikjr. May I suggest that you send an e-mail to the Mariners Society...I believe that the terms and conditions have changed from what they were four years ago. When we purchased 2 future cruise credits last May on board the Veendam, I was told to contact Holland America if we didn't plan to use those credits within 4 years. (We used them to book a cruise two weeks later :), so I have no personal experience of any extension/refund on HAL's FCC's). Regards, -S.

Last I heard.......

They do not expire, however, they are non-refundable.

Hi sail7Seas, I hope I don't get anyone in trouble by saying this, but I was told by the future cruise consultant in June while on board that FCCs were refundable if not used within four years. I have nothing in writing to prove that, however.

Holland America needs to update their website with terms and conditions regarding Future Cruise Credits or Deposits (whatever they want to call it, and it should be a uniform term used by CCL).

Regards,

Salacia

We also were told the FCD 's expire in four years, however, we have read on this board about people learning the reality is they do not expire and I have been told that directly. I think they FCC's like to 'suggest' they'll expire as an incentive for people to use them up before they forget about them and lose their money. They are on the ships to make bookings.

As to the FCC saying they are refundable...... maybe. It would not be the first time I heard a FCC gave inaccurate information but on the other hand, perhaps she is right. I would confirm if it really matters to someone. I think you may call three reps and get three responses: Yes, No and Maybe. ;)

As of right now, from where I have heard and what I have heard, I operate under the idea they don't expire and no refunds given. That certainly can change. :D

When I bought one a while back (getting close to the four year mark) I saw that they had something about the four year expiration on there. Does anyone know if you need to sail within that four years or simply book a cruise so you can stretch it a bit farther?

HAL need to get on the Princess system, they have all that information available online for you of the date you bought the credit, how much shipboard credit you will get when you use it, and when it expires.

When I bought one a while back (getting close to the four year mark) I saw that they had something about the four year expiration on there. Does anyone know if you need to sail within that four years or simply book a cruise so you can stretch it a bit farther?

HAL need to get on the Princess system, they have all that information available online for you of the date you bought the credit, how much shipboard credit you will get when you use it, and when it expires.

My understanding has been that it just has to be used - in other words, if a cruise is booked, it is now in use.:D

And if you need to cancel, the FCD is redeposited into your account?

One could, hypothetically, juggle that FCD for years. Keep booking and cancelling and booking again until you are ready to make a 'real' booking.

With all the schemers and gamers we meet, I don't doubt someone has done something like that. :eek:

That is why it makes sense, to me, they don't expire.

I was told by the FCC earlier this year that we have 4 years to use the deposits. I've already booked and cancelled one cruise using them, and booked another. But my understanding is that the deposit has to be used towards a cruise that happens within the four-year time-frame.

I agree with the others - HAL's website needs to be more informational about that and other issues.

I think you may be OK in California. It is illegal for gift certificates that you purchase to expire here. They do kind of work like a gift certificate

Our last Carnival ones listed California and another state in the small print that we were exempt from the time limit.

I expect what the Future Cruise Consultant tells you matters less than what the Future Cruise Depost receipt says.

I have my receipt from 12/15/11 in front of me, and it says:

"The Future Cruise Deposit is non-refundable and currency is non-changeable. FCD's are valid for 4 years from the date of purchase. Our Standard cancellation policy applies to Future Cruise Deposits if booking is cancelled within the cancellation period."

I have read on this board that FCDs purchased more recently no longer have the 4-year limitation on them.

I expect what the Future Cruise Consultant tells you matters less than what the Future Cruise Depost receipt says.

I have my receipt from 12/15/11 in front of me, and it says:

"The Future Cruise Deposit is non-refundable and currency is non-changeable. FCD's are valid for 4 years from the date of purchase. Our Standard cancellation policy applies to Future Cruise Deposits if booking is cancelled within the cancellation period."

I have read on this board that FCDs purchased more recently no longer have the 4-year limitation on them.

I bought one this March (2012) and it still has that wording (mind you the FCC could have had an old template - but that is what it said):D

... about 4 years ago, we were on a HAL cruise and placed $200 down towards a future cruise. we still haven't used the two FCCs.

We bought an FCD in May '12 and it states:

This Future Cruise Deposit is non-refundable and currency is non-changeable. FCDs are valid for 4 years from the date of purchase. Our standard cancellation policy applies to Future Cruise Deposits if booking is cancelled within the cancellation period.

Then we bought another FCD in June '12 and it states:

This Future Cruise Deposit is non-transferable and currency is non-changeable. FCDs are valid for 4 years from the date of purchase. Our standard cancellation policy applies to Future Cruise Deposits if booking is cancelled within the cancellation period. In a separate flyer that was delivered to our room, it was further noted: You will have up to 4 years to book your next cruise using your FCD or your deposit will be refunded.

So it does appear that HAL has recently relaxed the T&C on FCDs to allow for refunds. But I expect that any FCDs that were purchased under the previous T&C would not be eligible. I have never heard of HAL extending the usage period beyond 4 years. Best to call for confirmation.

since the answers have been all over the board, I went right to the source and called HAL this morning and spoke with the rep, Elizabeth.

She told me that my credits expired Oct 23, 2012. So I asked her if I could get an EXTENSION. she asked me to hold while she spoke to her supervisor.

She came back on the phone and informed me that, unfortunately, there was no way to provide an extension, BUT I WOULD GET A FULL REFUND if the two FCCs were not used by Oct 23.

I mentioned to the REP that I had heard they were non refundable on HAL... she said under the NEW GUIDELINES, after four years, ALL FCCs are refunded!! I just read an earlier post and they said something, that since we live in California, the law states that certificates, cash cards, gift cards, etc cannot expire. SO, I don't know if this answer was for everyone, or just those in California.

SO... there you have it...

Archived