Cruise Cancelled and not by ME!

GlobalGypsy

I would be more than annoyed. If they are smart they'lll upgrade you to a balcony or better. This is just not acceptable. At least they are not passing the blame. Please let us know if anything else develps. Wishing you the best.

She was able to get us a quad in the same area, even though there are only 2 of us sailing. That kind of sucks since we will be losing room in the cabin due to the extra beds on the side walls.

The extra beds in a quad usually drop down from the ceiling at night & are put back up during the day

You can ask your BIL about this to be sure ;)

... If they are smart they'lll upgrade you to a balcony or better. This is just not acceptable. At least they are not passing the blame...

I don't read it the same way. Princess says that it has no explanation. That is certainly not the same thing as saying that it was their fault. Go back and look at the wording that appeared with the cancellation:

This booking has been cancelled and Cruise line does not display cancelled bookings. Please contact the cruise line directly for assistance with this booking.

This does not look like it came from Princess. Princess probably would not refer to itself as "Cruise line". Unless there is something tangible linking this issue back to Princess, Princess likely views this as a problem not of its doing that it succeeded in correcting by getting the passenger back into an acceptable cabin. Problem solved. No further action required.

I would E-mail "Customer Relations" at <customerrelations@princesscruisess.com> and BCC to the CEO at <abuckelew@princess.com> Telling them everything that you know about what happened' date=' with your cancellation, and your great dissatisfaction. You should get some compensation. :eek: :mad: :D

Good luck.

Cato :)

[u']Completed Cruises ! [/u]

Pre-cruise Days - The Big Red Boat, 1993 ??

1st cruise - Coral Princess, 19 November 2008, 10 day Panama Canal, FLL to ACA

2nd cruise - Coral Princess, 15 May 2009, 3 day Repositioning, Los Angeles to Vancouver.

3rd cruise - Sapphire Princess, 25 November 2009? 7 day Mexican Riviera.

4th cruise - Golden Princes, 12 June 2010, 7 day Alaska. (Golden Anniversary Cruise)

5th Cruise - Island Princess, 04 October 2010, Vancouver - Los Angeles, Repositioning

6th cruise - Sapphire Princess, 05 January 2011, 10 day Mexican Riviera. LA to LA.

7th cruise - Golden Princess, 11 May 2011, 3 day, LA to Vancouver, Repositioning

8th cruise - Sapphire Princess, 14 May 2011, 1 day, Vancouver to Seattle, Repositioning

9th cruise - Coral Princess 19 May 2011 2 day, San Francisco to Vancouver, Repositioning

10th & 11th cruises - Coral Princess 02 July to 16 July 2011, round trip Vancouver - Whittier Alaska, B2B

12th & 13th cruises - Sapphire Princess, x2, Cabins, 18 Sep. 2011, 1 day, Seattle to Vancouver, Repositioning

14th & 15th cruises - Golden Princess, x2, Cabins, 24 Sep. 2011, 1 day, Seattle to Vancouver, Repositioning.

We have now reached Elite status with Princess Cruise Lines

16th cruise - Oasis of the Seas, 26 Nov. 2011, 7 day, Western Caribbean, Ft. Lauderdale, Ret.

17th & 18th cruises - Crown Princess B2B, 03 - 10 Dec & 10 - 17 Dec 2011, 14 Days, South & western Caribbean

19th cruise - Grand Princess, 31 Mar. - 07Jun.0212 7 Days, Eastern Caribbean, FLL - FLL

20th cruise - Island Princess, 06-16 June 2012, 10 day cruisetour Vancouver - Wittier

Future & Hopeful Cruises !

( Already booked )

21th cruise - Emerald Princess, 16 day, 10 - 26 Sep. 2012, TA, Copenhagen - New York.

22 & 23rd cruises - Sapphire Princess B2B, 04 - 11 May & 11 - 18 May, 2013, California Coastal & Wine Country

24th cruise - Royal Princess 16 June - 05 July, 2013, 19 Day Inaugural cruise, Southampton - Venice.

25th cruise - Emerald Princess, 01 Oct. - 16 Oct. 2013, 16 Day Cruisetour, Toronto Via Quebec City to New York City

Sorry, too many S's in the first address.:rolleyes: :D

Cato

I would be very upset and annoyed as well.

I'd contact Princess and tell them what they should do as a goodwill gesture for all of the stress and upset this has caused, as neither you nor your TA cancelled the cruise. You could ask for OBC or a complimentary upgrade.

Advice from a TA a while ago was to tell the cruise company what you would like, rather than leaving it open to them to offer something.

You are still on the cruise which is great, but I wouldn't let this rest until I got some recompense for what you have been through and the fact that your original cabin has now been given to someone else. Good job you noticed this early!

Best wishes.

I'm thinking perhaps the TA made a mistake and cancelled your booking when they meant to be cancelling some other one. As it is, Princess will say it wasn't them, the TA will say it wasn't them, and you have no way of proving which one isn't telling the truth.

I agree 100%. Error made. Error detected. Error corrected. Why can't that be the end of it? Why do so many always think that compensation is owed beyond a return to the status quo ante?

I'm thinking perhaps the TA made a mistake and cancelled your booking when they meant to be cancelling some other one. As it is, Princess will say it wasn't them, the TA will say it wasn't them, and you have no way of proving which one isn't telling the truth.

I'm thinking the same thing & fortunately the OP discovered it sooner than later.

I agree 100%. Error made. Error detected. Error corrected. Why can't that be the end of it? Why do so many always think that compensation is owed beyond a return to the status quo ante?

Apparently there's no way to know how this occurred & I agree with you. There are much more severe problems where compensation may be appropriate but I think not in this situation. That's how I'd feel if this happened to me although the OP may feel differently.

Perhaps a tap on the door of the cabin taken from you to meet the occupants and explain your circumstances. They may know something of the matter. I know it will be after the fact but just knowing what transpired would be of some relief.

I would like to thank everyone for their empathy, support and advice. :)

I just got off the phone with my TA, who has become a personal friend after so many years of doing business together. She said the rep knew darn well who cancelled the booking but refused to say. She asked if it was anyone from her office and was told no. Again she asks who did it and the rep says "I can't say". We both felt someone had deliberately cancelled the reservation to book the cabin for someone else.

We don't want any sort of compensation other than for Princess to admit it was their fault, but we know that is not going to happen. I am going to give those folks in my former cabin the evil eye when I see them. :D

Unfortunately we know for a fact that the beds come from the wall not the ceiling. They are cabins on the Dolphin deck, that is why we are in an inside rather than a mini. We are basically sailing to visit with our BIL, hence the importance of getting a cabin in his area. We are still in his area, but will have those annoying beds we will be clunking our heads and shoulders on. ;) Our original cabin was not a quad.

I would E-mail "Customer Relations" at <customerrelations@princesscruises.com> and BCC to the CEO at <abuckelew@princess.com> Telling them everything that you know about what happened' date=' with your cancellation, and your great dissatisfaction.[/quote']I agree. Write in a calm, non-threatening way and provide just the facts; the "who, what, where, how and when." Use the "three C's": be clear, concise and complete. I wouldn't demand an explanation or compensation but rather express your dismay, anxiety and disappointment because you had specifically booked your cabin for a reason. Let Princess sort out what happened. If it was your TA, they need to know that. Expect it to take 4-6 weeks for a response.

I'd contact Princess and tell them what they should do as a goodwill gesture

Please don't do this. You have to decide if you are going to go through life as one of the "you owe me if this or that is not done perfectly" people. You don't sound like the type.

On the other hand, the TA should be told that you will not settle for the "we don't know who cancelled" story. If they were a decent TA, they would know not to settle for it. In any case, it is up to them to get to the root of this and fix it. They can go up the supervisory network just as well as you would, had you booked it with Princess yourself -- in fact, they can probably do it better.

Contacting Princess at this point is, I believe, a big mistake. If Princess starts the "it must have been the TA" game, you will be caught in the middle. Your TA is there to fix problems -- insist that they do.

I'm glad they got you back in his area, but I'd be pressing to get the original cabin back. Someone knows who canceled your booking--and it doesn't sound like it was you or your TA. They could upgrade the people who have your original cabin in order to make room for you.

• Administrators

I'm sorry this happened to you, like everyone else. I would add a suggestion that you check availability of the specific cabin you desire (or others like it in that area, since you did your homework and know which ones that would be) on at least a daily basis on the Princess website. You have a good bit of time before final payment, so people can have changes in plans, and availability is even more likely right after final payment time. If you find one available, call your TA and ask her to move you to it.

Good luck; try to stay optimistic about finding the cabin you want at some point before sailing.

I agree. Write in a calm, non-threatening way and provide just the facts; the "who, what, where, how and when." Use the "three C's": be clear, concise and complete. I wouldn't demand an explanation or compensation but rather express your dismay, anxiety and disappointment because you had specifically booked your cabin for a reason. Let Princess sort out what happened. If it was your TA, they need to know that. Expect it to take 4-6 weeks for a response.

I agree with Pam. As nunuc mentioned above, I would leave your BIL out of the conversation, when contacting Princess. You don't want to get him in trouble, by making it sound like he's going to hang out with you during the cruise. I'm sure they want him to treat all passengers equally, though many of us would understand him treating you special. You should mention you chose that cabin for a reason. Just don't tell them you did so to visit with you BIL. ;)

I agree. Write in a calm, non-threatening way and provide just the facts; the "who, what, where, how and when." Use the "three C's": be clear, concise and complete. I wouldn't demand an explanation or compensation but rather express your dismay, anxiety and disappointment because you had specifically booked your cabin for a reason. Let Princess sort out what happened. If it was your TA, they need to know that. Expect it to take 4-6 weeks for a response.

I think that's the way to handle it & to see what happens.

OP...can they waitlist you for a cabin in your BIL's section?

And thanks for being so considerate to keep us updated on your situation. :)

I'm sorry but I disagree with some of the posters that this was not a big deal in the greater scheme of things. Somebody made a mistake. If it was an honest mistake they should admit to it and an explanation given. Mistakes do happen. This sounds more like a cover up and that's not right. A small good will gesture on Princess' part would go a long way. Perhaps a complimentary bottle of wine or an invitation to wine tasting, anything. I agree with some posters that a letter to Princess is in order.

Good luck should you decide to pursue this, GGypsy.

If somebody at Princess wanted that cabin, why not simply shuffle the OP instead of cancelling the cruise altogether? :confused:

If the OP is satisfied with the new cabin, I'd let it go...but the one thing I wouldn't do it confront the passengers in that cabin or give the impression they'd done something wrong. Without knowing the story, they may be as unaware as everyone else.

I'm honestly having a hard time figuring out why someone would be so insistent to have this particular cabin that they'd engage in the risky behavior of cancelling a passenger's cruise without any notification. This sounds more like an error that, for some reason, someone doesn't want to admit.

Well, we finally heard back from our TA. Princess told her the reservation had been cancelled on Aug 8th. The TA asked who cancelled it as it had not been the client or the TA. Princess had no explanation. She could not get our original cabin back. She was able to get us a quad in the same area, even though there are only 2 of us sailing. That kind of sucks since we will be losing room in the cabin due to the extra beds on the side walls. I think Princess will be hearing from me on this one!! I am still hopping mad and if we hadn't aready gotten airline tickets we would be cancelling all together. :mad:

That is very strange and Princess should have more of an answer. Surely their computer records would show who and why the reservation was cancelled. It is fortunate that you noticed the cancellation as quickly as you did so you could at least get another cabin.

Hank

I would like to thank everyone for their empathy, support and advice. :)

I just got off the phone with my TA, who has become a personal friend after so many years of doing business together. She said the rep knew darn well who cancelled the booking but refused to say. She asked if it was anyone from her office and was told no. Again she asks who did it and the rep says "I can't say". We both felt someone had deliberately cancelled the reservation to book the cabin for someone else.

We don't want any sort of compensation other than for Princess to admit it was their fault, but we know that is not going to happen. I am going to give those folks in my former cabin the evil eye when I see them. :D

Unfortunately we know for a fact that the beds come from the wall not the ceiling. They are cabins on the Dolphin deck, that is why we are in an inside rather than a mini. We are basically sailing to visit with our BIL, hence the importance of getting a cabin in his area. We are still in his area, but will have those annoying beds we will be clunking our heads and shoulders on. ;) Our original cabin was not a quad.

That is very strange and Princess should have more of an answer. Surely their computer records would show who and why the reservation was cancelled. It is fortunate that you noticed the cancellation as quickly as you did so you could at least get another cabin.

Hank

A follow-up post by OP indicates that apparently Princess isn't willing to officially admt to making the mistake of cancelling the cruise but certainly isn't denying that it's a Princess problem.

I'm sorry this happened to you, like everyone else. I would add a suggestion that you check availability of the specific cabin you desire (or others like it in that area, since you did your homework and know which ones that would be) on at least a daily basis on the Princess website. You have a good bit of time before final payment, so people can have changes in plans, and availability is even more likely right after final payment time. If you find one available, call your TA and ask her to move you to it.

Good luck; try to stay optimistic about finding the cabin you want at some point before sailing.

Thanks, that is a good suggestion, I will check the website everyday to see if the cabin opens back up. I guess it could happen, especially since final payment is still a couple of months away.

Originally Posted by Hlitner

Hank

You are absolutely right Hank. I/T always has a trail. User ID's go on every transaction. I work in a large I/T organization and your user ID will go on any sort of folder or doc you should happen to open. :eek: It's pretty scary stuff. Those records are documented every time you even make a simple phone call. Whether it was a mistake, error, computer program, deliberate, Princess will never admit to it.

Wow, just think if you hadn't checked!!

Maybe you can call princess, talk to a supervisor, explain what happened and see if they can offer the people in the cabin you want an upgrade. It is not the people's fault, they probably have no idea how this happened. It probably just got cancelled by accident, but I do agree that you should have gotten a refund. Very strange. I hope it works out to your liking.

Perhaps a tap on the door of the cabin taken from you to meet the occupants and explain your circumstances. They may know something of the matter. I know it will be after the fact but just knowing what transpired would be of some relief.

I sincerely hope you don't do this. The people in your original cabin don't need this on their vacation. If they requested this cabin and someone (maybe a Princess cruise planner) decided to give it to them, I'm sure they weren't aware that your cruise had been cancelled - maybe because of their booking. Let them cruise in peace. I don't think it was their fault.

This is the best advise I see when I read through this thread. From what I've read most people get a response from Princess. Sometimes it does come with some form of compensation or perk like wine, etc. If that happens in your case that would be nice as I can imagine how disappointed you were.

I think that's the way to handle it & to see what happens.

OP...can they waitlist you for a cabin in your BIL's section?

And thanks for being so considerate to keep us updated on your situation. :)

I would definitely get on a waitlist for a cabin that isn't a quad. You might be surprised how many people will cancel before final payment.

Best of luck to you.

A follow-up post by OP indicates that apparently Princess isn't willing to officially admt to making the mistake of cancelling the cruise but certainly isn't denying that it's a Princess problem.

You are absolutely right Hank. I/T always has a trail. User ID's go on every transaction. I work in a large I/T organization and your user ID will go on any sort of folder or doc you should happen to open. :eek: It's pretty scary stuff. Those records are documented every time you even make a simple phone call. Whether it was a mistake, error, computer program, deliberate, Princess will never admit to it.
It's possible it was a TA mistake in which case, does it really accomplish anything if Princess said, "Your TA canceled your booking and screwed up"? Sometimes a mistake is fixable, sometimes it isn't. Neither the OP nor we know where the mistake was made. The most important thing is that the OP has a cabin they are happy with and have a great cruise.

I'm glad they got you back in his area, but I'd be pressing to get the original cabin back. Someone knows who canceled your booking--and it doesn't sound like it was you or your TA. They could upgrade the people who have your original cabin in order to make room for you.

I agree! If you have paperwork with the original date of your reservation, you had 'dibs' on the room first. Why can't they move the new tenants to a better cabin and give you back your original. Seems easy enough to me.

Archived