Lufthansa Strike Threat 8/23/12

sos1720

Just got off the phone with United. I am using miles from UA to travel to Athens on Aug. 24, mostly on LH. Guess what? They had no idea that LH personnel were contemplating a strike this week. Great! The agent how I know this and I told her there was a artilce in Rueters about it. She said that if it does happen, they will make every effort to get me to Athens. Fortunately, my cruise does not leave until Aug. 28.

Pray LH and their workers get things worked out.

Bill

We fly LH home from Rome on the 12th of Sept. Since it was booked by Azamara free air, I'm sure they'll have to deal with finding us another flight. How unfortunate for those who are leaving soon....let's hope for the best.

Unfortunately it may be the exact opposite on what you're "sure" of. The tickets are quite likely consolidator tickets or a non-published fare. If that's true, you're the airline's last priority for re-booking since you aren't their customer. If your tickets are non-endorsable, another airline will *not* accept your tickets and you must fly LH and usually on the original routing of your ticket. Big problem if they are on strike!

Email (don't call) Azamara right away with specific questions on what they will do for you specifically should LH go on strike. That way you have something in writing, not "feel good" language over the phone.

What is the fare code on your ticket (not just the Y, Q, etc. but the full code?) Others on this board can pull up your fare rules and tell you how restricted the tickets are. In the best scenario you have a published-fare ticket.

We fly LH home from Rome on the 12th of Sept. Since it was booked by Azamara free air, I'm sure they'll have to deal with finding us another flight. How unfortunate for those who are leaving soon....let's hope for the best.

Why are you sure? Does it state this in your contract?

I don't know what will happen with LH, but think of this logically. If LH goes on strike, and flights are actually cancelled, there will be thousands of displaced passengers.

Where will those people go? They'd have to be placed on other airline's flights. Those already holding a confirmed reservation will not be "kicked off" the flight. If LH is willing to place their passengers on another airline, you'd have to wait for available space. And, passengers usually are prioritized, depending on their fare class/frequent flyer status, etc. As stated, some tickets are not endorseable to other airlines. I have no idea if yours are or not.

Hopefully, LH crew will not strike and this wll be a moot point.

Just got off the phone with United. I am using miles from UA to travel to Athens on Aug. 24, mostly on LH. Guess what? They had no idea that LH personnel were contemplating a strike this week. Great! The agent how I know this and I told her there was a artilce in Rueters about it. She said that if it does happen, they will make every effort to get me to Athens. Fortunately, my cruise does not leave until Aug. 28.

Pray LH and their workers get things worked out.

Bill

"Every effort" doesn't comfort me much - we also booked award travel, in business class to boot, and I suspect that we are very far down the list of travellers that UA will feel the need to accomodate in the event of a strike. Our flight is scheduled to depart on August 30 for a September 2 cruise. I am hoping first that the strike doesn't happen and second that, if it does, it's over quickly with a settlement or back-to-work order. Until Thursday all I can do is hope for the best.

Unfortunately it may be the exact opposite on what you're "sure" of. The tickets are quite likely consolidator tickets or a non-published fare. If that's true, you're the airline's last priority for re-booking since you aren't their customer. If your tickets are non-endorsable, another airline will *not* accept your tickets and you must fly LH and usually on the original routing of your ticket. Big problem if they are on strike!

Email (don't call) Azamara right away with specific questions on what they will do for you specifically should LH go on strike. That way you have something in writing, not "feel good" language over the phone.

What is the fare code on your ticket (not just the Y, Q, etc. but the full code?) Others on this board can pull up your fare rules and tell you how restricted the tickets are. In the best scenario you have a published-fare ticket.

I spoke with Choice (Azamara advised me to do that) and they cannot/will not give me any information about the fare code on my ticket. I do not see a fare code on my E documents. I will have to find that out from my TA since I booked with him and not Azamara. The only thing I found out was that I have a "contracted fare". It all sounds a little confusing to me and I could barely understand the woman I was speaking with. I can't worry about this tonight...I'll just wait and see what happens...no need to worry in advance.

I spoke with Choice (Azamara advised me to do that) and they cannot/will not give me any information about the fare code on my ticket. I do not see a fare code on my E documents. I will have to find that out from my TA since I booked with him and not Azamara.
Hopefully you have a real travel agent and not just a cruise order taker. The lack of transparency should be a red flag to you.
The only thing I found out was that I have a "contracted fare". It all sounds a little confusing to me and I could barely understand the woman I was speaking with. I can't worry about this tonight...I'll just wait and see what happens...no need to worry in advance.
Contracted = consolidator/bulk ticket. And you are right....why worry in advance. Just show up for your flight on the day of departure and you can start to worry then. Read your contract and see just how little "protection" you are entitled to.

Kenish and 6rugrats are giving you good advice.

Lufthansa fare code on my ticket is Economy (K) Anybody know the fare rules and how restricted the tickets are.

K is your fare inventory bucket. The actual fare code has a number of letters/numbers after starting with K. Unfortunately, K by itself means little.

found at: http://boardingarea.com/blogs/theglobaltraveller/2009/03/flyer-tip-3-booking-classes/

What are booking classes?

For airlines to maximise revenue they need to limit availability of their cheaper fares. They do this by way of booking classes. Every single fare has within its rules a constraint that it books into a particular booking class. Every booking class is designated by a single letter.

Booking class is not the same thing as class of travel or cabin. Every class of travel may have several booking classes associated with it. Some are for expensive, super flexible type fares. Some are for cheap fares. Some are for frequent flyer awards.

Example booking classes

Unfortunately booking class designations are not standardised across all airlines (although alliances are trying to make these more aligned within an alliance). Some common booking classes (although not universal) are:

F = first class

J or C = business class

Y = economy class

As an example, here are the booking classes for Lufthansa. They are listed in order of class of service, and then flexibility within each class of service.

F = first class full fare

A = first class discounted fare

O = first class awards and upgrades to first

C = business class full fare

D = business class discounted fare

I = business class awards and upgrades to business

R = business class industry travel (not available to general public)

Z = business class sale fare

Y = economy class full fare

B = economy class very flexible fare

M = economy class fairly flexible fare

H = economy class fairly flexible fare

X = economy class awards

Q = economy class moderately flexible fare

N = economy class industry travel (not available to general public)

V = economy class fairly inflexible fare

W = economy class fairly inflexible fare

U = economy class fairly inflexible fare

S = economy class inflexible fare

P = economy class inflexible fare

G = economy class inflexible fare

K = economy class inflexible fare

L = economy class inflexible fare

T = economy class inflexible fare

E = economy class sale fare

Not all booking classes are offered on all flights. As well as the obvious cases where no first class or business class exists, some routes may not offer some of the more heavily discounted fare classes (eg longhaul tends to have less economy booking classes than shorthaul due to more competition on shorthaul/domestic translating into a greater need for differentiation on price and terms). Codeshares often have a narrower range of fares. Some business-oriented shuttle flights may be restricted to just a few flexible booking classes.

What fare codes look like

The letter that denotes class of service is only one in a string of letters and numbers the airline puts together to describe the fare you've bought. You'll find the fare basis code in the fare basis box on a physical ticket, or on most e-ticket confirmations. Here's an example: Say you bought a ticket with the fare basis code KL14LNR. The letter K refers to the class of service for booking; the L refers to low season; the 14 refers to a 14-day advance booking; and the NR means non-refundable. More than one fare may exist for each class of service. For example, there might be two "K" fares - one for midweek travel and one for weekend travel.

Searching by class

The first letter of the string is the one you'll want to search for. Generally, first class fares are coded as F or P, business class is C or J, and full-fare coach is Y. After that, economy class fares run the gamut of alphabet letters, with the hierarchy varying from one airline to another. Here's a chart of major airlines' codes

Airline First Restricted First Business Restricted Business Coach

Delta F A J,C D,I Y,B,M,H,Q,K,L,U,T

US Airways F P,A C D,Z Y,B,M,H,Q,N,V,W,U,S,T,G,K,U,E,R

Northwest F F,P J C,Z Y,H,Q,V,K,L,T,V,W

Continental A C,D J Z Y,H,I,K,L,N,O,Q,S,T,U,V,W,X

American F P,A J,D I Y,B,C,G,H,K,L,M,N,Q,S,V,W

United F P,A C,D Z Y,B,M,H,K,L,Q,V,W,U,T,S

Here's a chart of major airlines' codes

Airline First Restricted First Business Restricted Business Coach

Delta F A J,C D,I Y,B,M,H,Q,K,L,U,T

US Airways F P,A C D,Z Y,B,M,H,Q,N,V,W,U,S,T,G,K,U,E,R

Northwest F F,P J C,Z Y,H,Q,V,K,L,T,V,W

Continental A C,D J Z Y,H,I,K,L,N,O,Q,S,T,U,V,W,X

American F P,A J,D I Y,B,C,G,H,K,L,M,N,Q,S,V,W

United F P,A C,D Z Y,B,M,H,K,L,Q,V,W,U,T,S

You may want to update your chart. There is no longer a Northwest or Continental airlines. Also, I don't know about the others, but the UA codes have also changed since this list was made.

Does anyone have experience with how to make alternative plans should the strike occur?

Buy a fully refundable ticket on another carrier and cash it in if you don't end up needing it. Be prepared to spend a lot of cash for it though.

The best thing to do is pay attention and know your options. Know who your carrier code shares with, know what your fare bucket is, and be willing to be flexible.

The minute the strike happens, get on the phone with whoever booked your flight--UA, LH, US, whichever *A carrier it was and try to get re-ticketed.

Give THEM options like, "I see that there are seats available on the PHL to LHR flight, then connect to FRA and then connect to ATH. (I made that up, I'm not sure any carrier does that, but just giving an example.) Don't expect to get great seats, expect to be split up, and don't take your frustration out on the person on the other end. Be willing to take multiple connections, pack light so you can carry on and avoid lost luggage, and keep in mind that if you can get across the pond, you can take a train or train/ferry combo from pretty much anywhere to Athens.

As an add-on to ducklite's advice.

1) Make up a list of Star Alliance carriers that serve within the USA, TATL routes and within Europe (meaning forget about Thai et al).

2) Research all of the TATL routes on Star carriers....which routes each has over the pond.

3) Research all of the Star carrier routes into ATH.

4) With this combination, you can handle the two toughest parts of the puzzle - getting across the Atlantic and getting specifically into ATH.

I would even get a subscription to ExpertFlyer for the period, so that you can access real inventory numbers without going through dummy bookings.

Repeating....be flexible. Be willing to separate. Be willing to get lousy seats. Be willing to fly crazy "illogical" routings.

Good luck.

I asked my stepmother, who subscribes to some online German newspapers, to see if she can find anything, since it's bigger news in Germany than in the U.S. so far, all she has seen is a small article that management wants to have further talks on Friday. The new salary offer is due today, so we shall see if there is any news tonight...

And thank you, Ducklite and Flyertalk, for your advice.

Archived