Lufthansa Strike Threat 8/23/12

sos1720

They are saying they are going to give priority to the long hauls, but starting tomorrow the short hauls will face great disruption. Frankfurt to Venice would be a short haul. I would absolutely have a backup plan in place.

First thing I would do is to call NOW and see if US will rebook you (without charge) to Rome and then you can train to Venice, which would be less than half the cost and only about 3.5 hours. I'm assuming you are ticketed through US with Lufthansa as a code share? I would rather have a bird in the hand, know I've got a confirmed ticket and SEAT on a flight to Rome and buy a train ticket online before you leave to guarantee you'll be able to get on--they will likely begin to sell out quickly.

Second would be arrival in Frankfurt and then plan on train to Venice. Again I would probably try to buy an advance ticket. I would rather buy the ticket and throw it away if I didn't need it than not buy the ticket and be stuck in Frankfurt with no way to get to Venice. Keep in mind that your travel insurance might pay for this, I'd call to check.

I'd plan on traveling very light--only take a carry on and a tote so you can change your plans on the fly without the worry of checked bags.

Keep in mind that this will also make the trains more crowded.

Found this on a German website:

"An exact date of the first strike action was not called for tactical reasons. They would call without advance warning in the next weeks time and sporadic strikes, the union chief said Nicoley Baublies."

Great.

Oh,great. Well, at least our only LF leg is the long haul from LAX to Munich on Thursday. We're connecting on SAS to CPH.

Since I'm virtually certain that United won't be of any assistance in re-booking (we booked on saver points, but I'll try...), I guess we just don't cancel our backup flight for the next day until we're at the gate.:mad:

Oh,great. Well, at least our only LF leg is the long haul from LAX to Munich on Thursday. We're connecting on SAS to CPH.

Since I'm virtually certain that United won't be of any assistance in re-booking (we booked on saver points, but I'll try...), I guess we just don't cancel our backup flight for the next day until we're at the gate.:mad:

Why would you say UA will provide no help rebooking? Doesn't matter that they were FF tickets. But, until a strike is called and your flight is affected, no they won't do anything.

LH will try and keep the long hauls going, like your LAX-MUC flight. Since you are connecting then to SAS, I am guessing you will not have a problem. Good luck.

I was hoping to have a definite answer about our return flight before we leave home. Looks like I'll be playing the "wait and see game" while on vacation...right now the only thing I care about is boarding that ship...even the hours are flying by the past couple of days.

What German website was that information found on?

Why would you say UA will provide no help rebooking? Doesn't matter that they were FF tickets. But, until a strike is called and your flight is affected, no they won't do anything.

LH will try and keep the long hauls going, like your LAX-MUC flight. Since you are connecting then to SAS, I am guessing you will not have a problem. Good luck.

Because I have found them to be singularly unhelpful in the past. With them, I've found that it's best to expect the worst and hope for the best.

I did see the note about the long hauls, plus I would be astounded if they called the strike at 6:00 am, which (if I have my time zones correct) is the time in Germany when we depart LAX.

An I know you're right, but I wouldn't be me if I weren't fretting.:p

Because I have found them to be singularly unhelpful in the past. With them, I've found that it's best to expect the worst and hope for the best.

I did see the note about the long hauls, plus I would be astounded if they called the strike at 6:00 am, which (if I have my time zones correct) is the time in Germany when we depart LAX.

An I know you're right, but I wouldn't be me if I weren't fretting.:p

Even if they call a strike a short time before your departure, I'd say it is pretty sure that your LAX-MUC flight will operate. If the flight attendants refuse to work, they would be stuck covering their own expenses in LAX, away from home. That hotel bill will get expensive very quickly. So flight attendants, even those that would strike, tend to show up for those assignments, and only go on strike when they get back to home base.

If you fly LAX-MUC on day X, those flight attendants will have flown from Germany to LAX on day X-1 (or possibly even X-2). In other words, if yesterday's Germany-LAX flights operated, and today's flights operated too (to bring the aircraft to LAX) then odds are your flight will operate, using today's aircraft and yesterday's crew.

German website with the latest is the union website.

Even if they call a strike a short time before your departure, I'd say it is pretty sure that your LAX-MUC flight will operate. If the flight attendants refuse to work, they would be stuck covering their own expenses in LAX, away from home. That hotel bill will get expensive very quickly. So flight attendants, even those that would strike, tend to show up for those assignments, and only go on strike when they get back to home base.

If you fly LAX-MUC on day X, those flight attendants will have flown from Germany to LAX on day X-1 (or possibly even X-2). In other words, if yesterday's Germany-LAX flights operated, and today's flights operated too (to bring the aircraft to LAX) then odds are your flight will operate, using today's aircraft and yesterday's crew.

German website with the latest is the union website.

Thanks for your logical explanation. I asked a German relative to translate from the link you provided, lol (it was a computer translation, but she said it got the gist of it:)

Ladies and gentlemen,

this morning around 4 clock is the last attempt to do more with a total of Lufthansa resolve the labor dispute, has failed.

In the interview with the LH peak-board, there were in the past five days, an approximation in some particular topics. Ultimately, however, the attempt failed because Lufthansa has rejected a "rudimentary real" hedge against the outsourcing of jobs categorically. We are appalled that this is not primarily concerns about the financial sustainability of such security, but about a fundamental NO towards our cause. We have received only heavily poisoned suggestions that would have allowed the cabin savings contributions despite the outsourcing of Lufthansa jobs in a low-price platform.

Last week gave us the LH delivered her pure "VTV-demand package". This is much less than all previous negotiable, since it includes massive financial cuts for existing staff and future Lufthansa.

Negotiations failed thus overall.

More detailed information about the failure of the talks and the various reasons we will resolve in the next few days and publish. We need a bit of time. It was important to us, you who UFO members in advance to the public over the failure of the negotiations.

We will now instruct the central strike committee of the UFO to take concrete industrial action. Among these we will give you, if calling at very short notice, by e-mail and SMS.

We must now jointly prepared that Lufthansa will continue to assert themselves in their communication to the contrary, to keep the cabin staff strike. Please pursue the following day our publications and stays tuned.

It is now up to us, the Lufthansa together to show that we stand together and decided for our legitimate objectives and demands with a labor dispute are for emphasis.

Greetings

The bargaining committee of the UFO

Sorry but I think the worst place to get information about any flight changes is the UNION WEBSITE. They could not possibly know what the airline might do regarding your flight nor would they have any incentive at all to tell you. Ditto for any of the union's plans. Their objective in calling a strike is to cause maximum disruption (confusion, bad feelings against the airlines, etc.) so that they can get what they want as soon as possible.

Oh dear ....I so didn't want this to happen..yes, we are covered by travel insurance but it just adds stress to the trip. I am trying to be positve and I checked Lufthansa .com and read the posts....I hope this all gets settled before we fly home on the 12th of Sept. Now it appears we won't have any final answer when we depart the U.S.....DRAT!

I'm truly sorry for all of you that have upcoming flights before mine. It has to be so unsettling.

Oh dear ....I so didn't want this to happen..yes, we are covered by travel insurance but it just adds stress to the trip. I am trying to be positve and I checked Lufthansa .com and read the posts....I hope this all gets settled before we fly home on the 12th of Sept. Now it appears we won't have any final answer when we depart the U.S.....DRAT!

I'm truly sorry for all of you that have upcoming flights before mine. It has to be so unsettling.

I'm certainly more wound up than usual. We fly tomorrow, and I'm going to go with First Time 2008's theory that our crew is already here and aircraft will arrive today. But we're not cancelling our backup flight until the wheels are up (a TA friend is going to do it for us).

I'm certainly more wound up than usual. We fly tomorrow, and I'm going to go with First Time 2008's theory that our crew is already here and aircraft will arrive today. But we're not cancelling our backup flight until the wheels are up (a TA friend is going to do it for us).

I put a call into my TA and just got off the phone with him. He called Lufthansa. There is no strike...negotiations have come to a standsill but they did not strike. It's anyone's guess when they will strike if they do. I just wanted to make sure...even though I know this will all be taken care of for me, either by Lufthansa even if they strike, or by Azamara or my insurance company. I'm going to put this out of my head for now and finish getting ready for our cruise. My TA did say to check with the concierge a couple days before departure to see what my flight status is. He will be sending me an E-mail as well, if anything changes. As much as I don't want to, I will have to use the Internet on vacation. He told me one good thing is European airline strikes do not last long like they do here in the U.S.

So...take a deep breath and go on as you did before...and I truly hope you get on your flight tomorrow. :)

Current news:

Nicoley Baublies head of the union UFO, which represents the flight crew members, told German news agency DPA that strikes on specific flights could begin as early as Thursday. He added that an all-out strike is not currently in the cards and that several hours notice would be given. "It might not happen for a couple more days, or it might begin tomorrow (Thursday)," he said.

even though I know this will all be taken care of for me, either by Lufthansa even if they strike, or by Azamara or my insurance company.
Donning the Nomex underwear.....

Just why do you think that things will be taken care of for you?

Your INSURANCE COMPANY is going to take of this? Do you have any concept of what "Insurance" is? How it is for protection against monetary loss through after-the-fact reimbursement? Not that they will "take care" of things for you.

Reality may very well be coming along to bite you in the posterior. You can either sit back with an attitude of entitled expectation or you can actively prepare to take control of your own situation.

Lufthansa will be slammed. Azamara will have less time and information than you can acquire. Pro-active research and knowledge will help you further than those other sources.

Of course, as always, it all comes down to your choice.

From Associated Press:

"A union representing cabin crew at Lufthansa, Germany's largest airline, says its members will go on strike Thursday after talks on pay and working conditions broke down.

UFO union chairman Nicoley Baublies said on ARD television Wednesday that the crews would stay off the job for several hours on Thursday but did not provide more specific details on exactly when the strike would take place.

The strike at all German airports where Lufthansa has staff is expected to cause widespread delays and cancellations.

Baublies says workers at airports outside of Germany won't be on strike, but cautioned that the strike would still affect Lufthansa's passengers elsewhere, saying if planes aren't leaving Germany "they won't be there to pick up guests."

Latest update

UFO, the Cabin Crew Union representing a significant of Lufthansa’s Flight Attendants announced that there would be no strikes on thursday.

They did warn that strikes would begin friday and will give 6 hours notice before an work stoppage. They did not indicate which airports or flights they will target.

So at least for another day Lufthansa operations should run normally.

SWISS (a Lufthansa Group Airline) has offered to step in and help Lufthansa by increasing flight operations and making staff available for flights.

Although Thursday night in LA is Friday morning in Germany, I'm thinking that our chances of not having our flight disrupted just went to 90. We connect in Munich on Friday night, but it's to SAS, not LF, so maybe, just MAYBE, we'll be ok. I hope the rest are, too!

Find the flight number of your incoming flight so you can track it. If it leaves Germany, you'll probably be ok.

I have a Lufthansa flight on Sunday out of O'Hare. It connects in Munich. The Munich to Verona leg is a Lufthansa, operated by Air Dolomiti, flight Any slim chance the "operated by Air Dolomiti" detail may increase my luck of actually making it to Verona?!? I am just grabbing at straws here, I know:(

I am looking at other flight options, should I just avoid anything that is Lufthansa or operated by Lufthansa (United, etc)?

I have a Lufthansa flight on Sunday out of O'Hare. It connects in Munich. The Munich to Verona leg is a Lufthansa, operated by Air Dolomiti, flight Any slim chance the "operated by Air Dolomiti" detail may increase my luck of actually making it to Verona?!? I am just grabbing at straws here, I know:(

I am looking at other flight options, should I just avoid anything that is Lufthansa or operated by Lufthansa (United, etc)?

They are owned by Lufthansa--I don't know if they operate under a separate bargaining agreement.

http://www.lufthansa.com/de/en/Travel-information

Strike action by the Independent Flight Attendants Organization (UFO) on Friday, 31 August 2012, between 5 a.m. and 1 p.m. at Frankfurt airport

The Independent Flight Attendants Organization (UFO) has called cabin crews to strike action for Friday, 31 August 2012, from 05.00 hrs to 13.00 hrs (German local time) at Frankfurt (FRA) airport.

Lufthansa sincerely regrets that the labor dispute is being waged at the expense of its customers. The fact that UFO announces strike actions only at short notice creates additional problems for passengers because it will further limit their ability to make reliable travel plans.

The call to strike action may lead to unscheduled flight delays and cancellations at Lufthansa. Long-haul flights are the uppermost priority and, wherever possible, should not be cancelled. Nevertheless, delays must be anticipated.

At this stage Lufthansa cannot say for sure what exact impact the strike action will have. However, it has been confirmed that neither Lufthansa Regional nor Germanwings flights will be affected.

Lufthansa regrets any inconvenience to its passengers caused by the strike measures and will do its utmost best to minimize the impacts. Passenger support and service have paramount priority. Whenever possible, Lufthansa passengers, who have registered their contact details in their customer profile, will be informed via SMS or email about delays, cancellations and rebookings.

Cancelled flights:

Passengers can obtain information on the status of their flights as early as the afternoon of the day before their travel and should check currently cancelled flights under Cancelled flights.

Archived