Pros and Cons to Official CC Cruises?

NovCruisin

Anyone mind sharing an honest pro & con list of sailing on a designated official CC cruise?

Is there better or worse service? Is it more crowded? Are there special events hosted, aside from the traditional meet and mingle? Etc.

One of Host Andy's proposed dates is a cruise DH and I were considering before there were talks of an Official CC Cruise (11/16/2013 Reflection). We prefer more quiet, calm and relaxing atmosphere...does that change if it's a CC cruise?

Thanks everyone!!

I think the pro is I bet it be a lot of fun, the con is that none of the dates on Andy's list are doable by anyone working at a school... like me

I liked kelmac's suggestion for a Bermuda cruise late May early June 2013

20132zyaexi.jpg

1z3p861.jpg

2eqdlqo.jpg

2czyb6x.jpg

One has to answer this generically because a group of CCers are no different than a group on a company paid vacation.

If you ask a group, of course they are angels :) but groups of any size tend to "take over" bars or venues (if the group actually groups together). Some groups are large enough that they can take over an entire dinner time...or a large part of it. You may find that you aren't part of the group, but 3/4 of the dining room at your seating is, etc. Hopefully no one addresses the group on a PA during dinner....and hopefully the group doesn't yell between tables (and there is no way to know if CCers are any different from any other group).

Generally, the ships being discussed ar pretty large and if the CC group is reasonable sized, it won't matter. While you see lots of enthusiasm here at this point, the number of folks that actually sign up for the trip may be relatively insignificant vs total passengers....but you just don't know.

My general feeling is that affinity groups on a cruise are not a good thing and I find that if there is a group on board a cruise, I run into them at some point causing me to change my plans. It's sort of a flag that maybe I want to find a different cruise.

Clearly, those in the group would disagree....

One has to answer this generically because a group of CCers are no different than a group on a company paid vacation.

If you ask a group, of course they are angels :) but groups of any size tend to "take over" bars or venues (if the group actually groups together). Some groups are large enough that they can take over an entire dinner time...or a large part of it. You may find that you aren't part of the group, but 3/4 of the dining room at your seating is, etc. Hopefully no one addresses the group on a PA during dinner....and hopefully the group doesn't yell between tables (and there is no way to know if CCers are any different from any other group).

Generally, the ships being discussed ar pretty large and if the CC group is reasonable sized, it won't matter. While you see lots of enthusiasm here at this point, the number of folks that actually sign up for the trip may be relatively insignificant vs total passengers....but you just don't know.

My general feeling is that affinity groups on a cruise are not a good thing and I find that if there is a group on board a cruise, I run into them at some point causing me to change my plans. It's sort of a flag that maybe I want to find a different cruise.

Clearly, those in the group would disagree....

My last cruise with the RCMP (Mounties) on board was one of the best of forty/fifty cruise we have ever done so I'm curious, what groups were you cruising with that "took over"?

124bmvs.jpg

9tn695.jpg

My last cruise with the RCMP (Mounties) on board was one of the best of forty/fifty cruise we have ever done so I'm curious, what groups were you cruising with that "took over"?

My point was that you never know....you can be on a ship with a group and never know it....or they can meet every night in the martini bar at 5:30 so you can't even get a drink....etc.

I have no reason to believe that the CC group would be any better or worse than any other group...and when you are a part of the group, you just assume that what the group is doing isn't bothering anyone else (or you forget that maybe you should care).

My point was that you never know....you can be on a ship with a group and never know it....or they can meet every night in the martini bar at 5:30 so you can't even get a drink....etc.

I have no reason to believe that the CC group would be any better or worse than any other group...and when you are a part of the group, you just assume that what the group is doing isn't bothering anyone else (or you forget that maybe you should care).

My late husband and I once sailed with a very large group celebrating a major anniversary for the organization they belonged to. They reserved the main lounge half the nights of the cruise. No one else was allowed in. And they virtually took over most of the bars on the other nights, often holding court there until early morning. For many of the passengers, that certainly took away the enjoyment of those areas for much of the cruise.

I much prefer to have a group-free cruise. I also wouldn't want to be part of a group that in turn causes the same problems to the other passengers that I don't appreciate when it happens to me. It doesn't make it OK because it is me that is now benefiting from those group activities.

Anyone mind sharing an honest pro & con list of sailing on a designated official CC cruise?

Is there better or worse service? Is it more crowded? Are there special events hosted, aside from the traditional meet and mingle? Etc.

One of Host Andy's proposed dates is a cruise DH and I were considering before there were talks of an Official CC Cruise (11/16/2013 Reflection). We prefer more quiet, calm and relaxing atmosphere...does that change if it's a CC cruise?

Thanks everyone!!

Hi NovCruisin,

I truly do not believe the Guests onboard a Cruise Critic Hosted Cruise, are any different than Groups onboard other Group sailings. The big difference is, you know we will be there. At times, other groups are unadvertised... and you may not know, until you are onboard the ship.

IMO, the Guests that will be a part of our group, are some of the nicest people you will ever meet. You mention a calm & relaxing atmosphere. We all want the same thing, and I cant see how that's going to change due to our Group being onboard. If you are set on the November 16th Reflection sailing, and if that becomes the Cruise that is selected, why not consider joining the group ? I'm sure we will have a wonderful time.

Hope this helps !

Hi NovCruisin,

I truly do not believe the Guests onboard a Cruise Critic Hosted Cruise, are any different than Groups onboard other Group sailings. The big difference is, you know we will be there. At times, other groups are unadvertised... and you may not know, until you are onboard the ship.

IMO, the Guests that will be a part of our group, are some of the nicest people you will ever meet. You mention a calm & relaxing atmosphere. We all want the same thing, and I cant see how that's going to change due to our Group being onboard. If you are set on the November 16th Reflection sailing, and if that becomes the Cruise that is selected, why not consider joining the group ? I'm sure we will have a wonderful time.

Hope this helps !

Did you say Bermuda??!!! :p:p

I much prefer to have a group-free cruise. I also wouldn't want to be part of a group that in turn causes the same problems to the other passengers that I don't appreciate when it happens to me. It doesn't make it OK because it is me that is now benefiting from those group activities.

I agree completly. Anytime a large group is present I find the dynamic is to "take over" a venue, either intentionally or not. How is this fair for those who booked the cruise with the expectation that all options would be available?

The "Pro" as I see it is that we will know which cruise is the Cruise Critic cruise, and can avoid booking it.

I don't know if an official "CC CRUISE" has a minimum amount of

people needed to make it "Official";)

Andy would probably know that answer. But lets say (for argument

sake) it is 100 people. That is 50 cabins. Is that considered a "Big Group"?

Or is that only an opinion....?

I don't think a cruise critic group on a cruise would impact anyone elses cruise that was not part of the group. On our Silhouette cruise last year and on Equinox this year we had over 100 people on our roll call most of which showed up for the sailaway party, the meet & mingle and a few other functions, but we were 100 people on a ship that holds nearly 3000. We were insignificant to the overall cruise, although Celebrity did treat us all very well especially at the luncheon party they threw for us on our Equinox sailing. I'd love to join 7 night Reflection if its picked for this cruise, would complete our sailings on all the "S" class ships!!!!:D

Pros: you get to meet more of the nice posters you've been talking with.

Cons: The posters who you've given a hotfoot to meet you!

As to the concern over this group interfering or taking over some venue? This isn't a group w some focused interest such as collectors or bikers or such, just a very generalized group. Been to the martini bar at times and couldn't find a seat there. It happens. And you've probably been on a number of cruises and didn't even realize you were cruising with some group.

The only real 'con' I could think of is you know for sure the Capt Club will be in the Sky Lounge. Other than that.....???

Real pros will be seeing what things this group organizes on the ship such as cabin crawls and such, and some interesting private tours. Our S American roll call used private Conf rms to meet for wine tastings and Spanish classes and such. No interference w those not involved.

Den

From my experiences with the inconsiderate, loud, unruly, selfish and obnoxious people here on CC, can you just IMAGINE what an entire SHIPLOAD of them would be like?. :eek:

WHEN AND WHERE DO I BOOK ?!?:D

From my experiences with the inconsiderate, loud, unruly, selfish and obnoxious people here on CC, can you just IMAGINE what an entire SHIPLOAD of them would be like?. :eek:

WHEN AND WHERE DO I BOOK ?!?:D

OH YA!!!! And the tender you rode in on!!! :p:p:p

LOL:D

I don't think a cruise critic group on a cruise would impact anyone elses cruise that was not part of the group. On our Silhouette cruise last year and on Equinox this year we had over 100 people on our roll call most of which showed up for the sailaway party, the meet & mingle and a few other functions, but we were 100 people on a ship that holds nearly 3000. We were insignificant to the overall cruise, although Celebrity did treat us all very well especially at the luncheon party they threw for us on our Equinox sailing. I'd love to join 7 night Reflection if its picked for this cruise, would complete our sailings on all the "S" class ships!!!!:D

Very good summary above, plus other comments on this thread. Overall, on a ship with 3000 people, plus staff, a few hundred people are not going to cause that many problems. Clearly, there are pluses in connecting with others on such a cruise. For us, it's still about the ports and how those stops fit our needs and interests. A good ship is a plus, but not the main reason for doing a specific cruise. PLUS, how the timing fits our schedule and other personal desires. Lots of factors at work as we seek to explore and conquer this big, diverse world. So much to see and do!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 98,900 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

I can't see this being much different than an active roll call. We've been on many ships with CC groups with over 100 people. Yes, we met at the martini bar- usually 20 or so at a given time. Off in the alcoves, rather than at the bar, and there were no issues with space for others. The "gang" that hangs out at the bar is more of a group than we were.

The Elite lounge crowd would be larger, but I would be surprised if the were more than 50 couples who were actually able to make this(whichever cruise it is) cruise from CC specifically because we'd meet other prolific posters. Andy, is there a history of numbers for this type of cruise?

Andrew

I can't see this being much different than an active roll call. We've been on many ships with CC groups with over 100 people. Yes, we met at the martini bar- usually 20 or so at a given time. Off in the alcoves, rather than at the bar, and there were no issues with space for others. The "gang" that hangs out at the bar is more of a group than we were.

The Elite lounge crowd would be larger, but I would be surprised if the were more than 50 couples who were actually able to make this(whichever cruise it is) cruise from CC specifically because we'd meet other prolific posters. Andy, is there a history of numbers for this type of cruise?

Andrew

Once the date is set, I'm sure the momentum and numbers would grow. Like a previous poster mentioned, even with 150 CC people, we would be only occupy 5 % of the ship.

Archived