Transatlantic...which cruise line and when?

cruzlover

I'm just starting to look into a transatlantic cruise. There are a lot more options than I thought. I'm leaning more toward the spring rather than the fall and will probably want a larger ship with more activities to occupy my time. I'm really more about the ship than the ports so I think I'll be fine with so many days at sea.

Any thoughts?

I would use a Travel Agency's search engine to find cruises.

Often in the Spring cruises leave from Florida and go over to Europe and do a southern crossing and in the fall you'll find several that do a North Atlantic crossing from say Europe over to the Northeast.

Keith

Do you have a preference as to what port you end up in??

Some will end in Civitavecchia (Rome), London (various ports), Venice, Barcelona

Length of cruise?

Carnival, Princess & RCI all seem to lots to do onboard

Other cruise lines will have activities to keep you occupied

Maybe a TA with cruise experience would be your best bet to help narrow things down

I'm with Kitty, love those 25 hour days. A string of 23 hour days can be exhausting, and then you still have the Europe ports to do. What do you like to do on sea days? I really enjoy the enrichment lectures on Cunard, Princess, Celebrity...But really missed them on Carnival. So depending on what you like to do, the lines will be different. But prices can vary widely, too. Royal has the lowest prices, if you wait to book...EM

Going east (spring), although you have 23-hour days, you are well rested by the time you arrive at the overseas ports. If you fly to Europe and sail back (fall), you might be too tired from either the flight over, or a few days sightseeing there, to fully enjoy the ports. In either case, though, sea days are wonderful. Can't wait to do our next one.

Going east (spring), although you have 23-hour days, you are well rested by the time you arrive at the overseas ports. If you fly to Europe and sail back (fall), you might be too tired from either the flight over, or a few days sightseeing there, to fully enjoy the ports. In either case, though, sea days are wonderful. Can't wait to do our next one.

I'd agree. The flights to Europe usually leave too early to allow anything remotely close to a full night's sleep - I've got a couple of business class reservations from western Canada and the flights arrive in Europe 12a - 1a at airport of departure. Exceptions being the daytime flights from some east coast airports (YYZ, NYC, BOS, ORD) and the late-departing flights from the west coast.

Flying westbound during the day is much easier to adjust to.

Thanks for your input everyone. I'm leaning toward the Ruby Princess in April, ending up in Rome. Will probably stay on for a few days post-cruse.

I understand weather is unpredictable but just wondering if past spring cruisers have any input as to what type of weather is typical, both on the ocean and in ports.

We have done 2 transatlantics, both in the spring, and have had good weather both times. One sailing left FLL the end of April and the second left SJU around April 22. We had good weather in most ports - rained in FLorence and in Milan. Both were on Celebrity ships and were excellent and so restful!

Archived