Wll Princess ever come back to NYC with Caribbean itineary

crusin fools

I asked the very same question of the future cruise consultant while aboard the Golden earlier this month. She said no because Princess couldn't fill the ships. I really don't understand that since NCL and RCI manage to do it. It was be easier for me to achieve Elite status if they did. All you west coasters have a great advantage. :-).

Follow the money. With two or three cruise lines sailing out of NY, the market is considered saturated. The issue isn't that Princess can't fill the ships; it's that in order to fill the ships, Princess has to charge reduced fares. Good for passengers but bad for the bottom line. Princess can command higher prices and make more money sailing in Europe or other markets. It's as simple as that.

Follow the money. With two or three cruise lines sailing out of NY, the market is considered saturated. The issue isn't that Princess can't fill the ships; it's that in order to fill the ships, Princess has to charge reduced fares.

Same reason they left Galveston in 2007. Now they are back.

It will be interesting to see if they stay in Galveston after the spring of 2014 as they are competing with three other cruise lines that offer the exact same itinerary.

Follow the money. With two or three cruise lines sailing out of NY, the market is considered saturated. The issue isn't that Princess can't fill the ships; it's that in order to fill the ships, Princess has to charge reduced fares. Good for passengers but bad for the bottom line. Princess can command higher prices and make more money sailing in Europe or other markets. It's as simple as that.

And the same reason that Princess, the only non-luxury line sailing out of San Francisco on a regular basis and therefore having the market pretty much to itself, is home-porting the Grand here.

That, and because they like me.

I think NY would be better than Galveston. Who wants a 2 hr ride from the airport to the cruise terminal?

Yes, there is a long rive to Galveston, but you don't spend a day or two of your winter cruise sailing to and from the warm weather.

Yes, there is a long rive to Galveston, but you don't spend a day or two of your winter cruise sailing to and from the warm weather.

New York was only offered May-October, and some of those were New England cruises. As someone who did the 9 day Crown/Caribbean Princess itinerary from NYC 3 times, but refuses to sail on some of the other cruise lines that sail out of NYC weekly, they are missing a huge market up here.

New York was only offered May-October, and some of those were New England cruises. As someone who did the 9 day Crown/Caribbean Princess itinerary from NYC 3 times, but refuses to sail on some of the other cruise lines that sail out of NYC weekly, they are missing a huge market up here.

Then why did they only sell out when they slashe prices?

Plus, Galveston taps into a market that is relatively under-served to cruising: Texas and the mid-West.

Follow the money is right. I truly wish that there were more sailings out of NYC (a purely self-centered wish!), but I'm guessing that the bottom line didn't support them. However, market conditions change over time, so offerings could change "someday":).

It has to be the money. Take for instance the cruise from Quebec City in Oct(Emerald Princess) to Florida is no where near full with just 2 months to go. This cruise does go to NYC too.

and we are waiting for a flash promotion because the ship is still wide open

However, market conditions change over time, so offerings could change "someday":).
Never say never. Princess cruises out of NY, then leaves, comes back, then leaves again. Unlike hotels, ships are mobile and move to where the money is.

I live in New England and was thrilled when the Crown started to do the 9 day out of NYC and we booked. I do not understand why people keep talking about the bottom line. For the most part these were higher priced cruises and we not heavily discounted until the end of the second season, beginning of the third. Princess should not have looked solely at that but rather their errors in having absolutely no variation in the itinerary for these cruises. They marketed the new home port with a new ship (Crown) then moved in an older ship. Princess fell down in maximizing NYC as a home port. They could have easily mixed it up the way they are now in the Caribbean market. HUGE missed opportunity and this is coming from someone is is a devotee to Princess.

As a TA from the NY area I must say that many of my clients booked this cruise evey summer and were devastated to learn it was not available anymore...my thoughts about it not selling out are that Princess needs to step up their advertising...RCCL and NCL and Carnival are always advertising their cruises on local TV stations...never see Princess ads....I truly believe their is a market for Princess here in NY

I've done 6 NE cruises, If Princess would change one or two ports per season they would get many more repeat cruisers. There are a many ports as good or better than where they currently stop. 10 years and no changes = stale. Same with Alaska they need to mix it up.

framer

Plus, Galveston taps into a market that is relatively under-served to cruising: Texas and the mid-West.

Underserved by Princess, but with three other lines offering the exact same itinerary out of Galveston, it is not under-served in totality.

As a TA from the NY area I must say that many of my clients booked this cruise evey summer and were devastated to learn it was not available anymore...my thoughts about it not selling out are that Princess needs to step up their advertising...RCCL and NCL and Carnival are always advertising their cruises on local TV stations...never see Princess ads....I truly believe their is a market for Princess here in NY

There is a market and I never saw any bargains or last minute deals like I see for Europe and Alaska. As a TA did you see any price discounts for the Caribbean out of NY? I can't believe what people are willing to pay for the 4 day Bermuda cruise out of NY in late Oct. Not worth it but the ship is practically sold out.

Very much want to book another Princess cruise for 2013. We have enjoyed the 3 we have been on so far, but because of the jump in prices, stale itineraries and the fact they gave up on us in the NE, I don't know when we will be using our future cruise credit we paid for on our last Princess cruise.

Not giving up hope yet, however.

Have you checked prices for Princess in Europe this summer? European market is so over-saturated prices were ridiculously low this summer!

My friend sailed 24 days SOLO on Crown Princess in Med this past May-June for 1000 Eu. Other friend sailed on Celebrity Silhouette for 12 days 600 Eu. I can go on and on.

You cannot put 80% of most fleets in Med/Europe and commend adequate prices. I have a feeling that many of the ships will return to Caribbeans very soon.

Princess doesn't do many ads. Why should they pay to market a cruise that they can make more money on if the ship is in Europe?

Have you checked prices for Princess in Europe this summer? European market is so over-saturated prices were ridiculously low this summer!

My friend sailed 24 days SOLO on Crown Princess in Med this past May-June for 1000 Eu. Other friend sailed on Celebrity Silhouette for 12 days 600 Eu. I can go on and on.

You cannot put 80% of most fleets in Med/Europe and commend adequate prices. I have a feeling that many of the ships will return to Caribbeans very soon.

that's june. why don't you look at july and august. i paid over $6K for two of us for a 12-day caribbean princess british isles cruise in the cheapest baja balcony cabin????? baltics cruise prices are even more prohibitive. celebrity is getting $7.5K for two people on their constellation baltics cruise next summer in the cheapest balcony cabin. princess prices for europe and alaska are very high and they are selling out those cruises.

Archived