Behind the scenes tour on Explorer?

We're sailing on Explorer soon and I was wondering if RCCL offered a behind the scenes tour like CCL is now doing? And how do you book it? We're a little geeky and very much enjoy these tours. Did one on CCl and now it's an every cruise thing for us - we enjoy seeing the differences in the ships. Thanks!

We're sailing on Explorer soon and I was wondering if RCCL offered a behind the scenes tour like CCL is now doing? And how do you book it? We're a little geeky and very much enjoy these tours. Did one on CCl and now it's an every cruise thing for us - we enjoy seeing the differences in the ships. Thanks!

Royal charges $150 per person for the All Access tour. Sign up at Guest Services.

I read on Middle Aged Drama Queen's review that you have to wear long pants during the tour. Make sure you pack some. :D

I don't even OWN a pair of long pants. let alone pack them on a cruise. In case others are like me, I thought I'd throw this info out there.

I read on Middle Aged Drama Queen's review that you have to wear long pants during the tour. Make sure you pack some. :D

I don't even OWN a pair of long pants. let alone pack them on a cruise. In case others are like me, I thought I'd throw this info out there.

Why? Where do they take you that you need to wear long pants? And what would you be doing on the tour that requires long pants?

I know to go ice skating you need a pair of long pants because you will fall down on the ice (count on it!) and having some protective coverings on your legs is a necessity.:(

MARAPRINCE

Why? Where do they take you that you need to wear long pants? And what would you be doing on the tour that requires long pants?

I know to go ice skating you need a pair of long pants because you will fall down on the ice (count on it!) and having some protective coverings on your legs is a necessity.:(

MARAPRINCE

If they take you through the kitchens where food's being cooked and prepared, I could see them (or their insurance carrier) requiring it.

I have absolutely no idea. Sorry.

You must also wear closed shoes(no sandals).

Oh, yeah, I forgot to mention this. She did say they needed those also.

Royal charges $150 per person for the All Access tour. Sign up at Guest Services.

Maybe I am more of a frugal person but can someone please explain what would be included on the tour for it to cost that much? I am sure it is very interesting, but guess I am thinking it includes just visiting areas not open to passengers.

Any details are appreciated, thx

We did the special chefs luncheon can't remember the cost maybe $50 per person that included a galley tour, a special menu portifino lunch w the exec chef and a signed copy of the rccl cook book. Limited seating we saw it announced outside windjammer boarding day. Highly recommended

Maybe I am more of a frugal person but can someone please explain what would be included on the tour for it to cost that much? I am sure it is very interesting, but guess I am thinking it includes just visiting areas not open to passengers.

Explorer does have a free tour for more frugal cruisers - it's backstage in the main theatre. It was announced in the Compass, and held on one of the last sea days. Only about 30 people attended. It began with a Q&A session with some of the dancers/singers/skaters and some of the stage technicians (lighting, sets, etc). Then they broke us into smaller groups, each led by two of the above. We went behind the stage, where they showed us all the different sets, curtains, how the computer operates the props (they actually activated the computer and moved the sets and curtains), the dressing room, costumes, shoes, schedules, etc. It was VERY interesting, and a highlight for us!

Thanks for the replies! It is outrageously priced, but since we don't drink, we'll probably pay it. CCL also requires closed toe shoes, which is not a problem for me since I have to wear sneakers anyway. The long pants requirement is interesting, but if you ever saw my legs after all these decades of life, you'd know why I don't wear shorts :eek: :D :D :D so that's not a problem either!! The chef's lunch sounds interesting, too...hmm...

I actually have been on several tours, and certainly wear what is asked (as well as leave my cell phone and camera in the cabin). As a guest in the working areas, that is the proper thing to do. BTW, I don't recall a long pants requirement on CCL's Behind the Fun tours (several women wore capris), just closed toe shoes. My comment was not protest - it was curiosity. As a retired medic, I'm well aware of safety. If long pants and closed toe shoes are requested, that is what we will wear.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

I agree. This is way too expensive. :eek: No way am I going to pay 6 x $150 = $900. I rather spend that in port. :D

I actually have been on several tours, and certainly wear what is asked (as well as leave my cell phone and camera in the cabin). As a guest in the working areas, that is the proper thing to do. BTW, I don't recall a long pants requirement on CCL's Behind the Fun tours (several women wore capris), just closed toe shoes. My comment was not protest - it was curiosity. As a retired medic, I'm well aware of safety. If long pants and closed toe shoes are requested, that is what we will wear.

On our tour cameras were allowed. No videos, still shots only.

Check with your regional AAA office to see if they offer a tour. DW and I had a wonderful tour on EOS while she was in port. We did not go into the ships private areas, but otherwise received a very comprehensive tour that included a super lunch in the MDR. We dressed just like the rest of the normal passengers and took all of the pictures we wanted. We were even on board when they raised the piece of the World Trade Center that officially made it the highest building in the western hemisphere and photographed that. The tour and motor coach to and from the port cost us $59pp. We had such a great time that we booked another tour for next month on the Grandeur of the Seas while she is in port in Baltimore.

Bob

The long pants and closed toe shoes are USPH requirements for entering food handling areas. Also, the stairs are steeper than in guest areas, and steel, not carpeted, so some shin barking can be expected. There are also some areas where there are obstructions that need to be stepped over (the crew have learned to deal with these almost unconsciously), so you might stub a toe.

They tend to stay out of the crew accommodations (the actual passageways where the cabins are located, off the main I-95 corridor), except if there is a spare cabin available to show, but please try to be a little quiet, as regardless of what time of day the tour is, there is always someone sleeping in the crew areas. Try to treat the crew areas as you would when visiting friends' houses, they are the crews' home, not a tourist attraction.

I'll admit that the RCI price seems high, but I think every cruiser should do these tours at least once, so you get an idea of what it takes to give you your vacation. On NCL, our CD was making videos to play on the ship's TV channels of areas that were not covered on the tours, like actual crew cabins, that have crew stuff hanging everywhere, and down in the engine room area, showing the noise (voice over), and the guys working. I thought it was a great idea, but don't know if it has continued.

We were lucky enough to have an all access tour on Navigator of the Seas, and it was very interesting, particularly the Bridge and Galley parts of the tour, where we met the Captain and Executive Chef. We were asked to wear closed toe shoes for hygiene ans safety reasons, but there was no requirement to wear long trousers.

We were also allowed to bring cameras, but no video footage could be taken. The security officers at the Bridge area just scanned our bags and asked to check our cameras. We thoroughly enjoyed our tour!

WOW!!!! NCL only charges $55.00 for their's, and it is free for Platinum Lattitude Members.

It encompasses tours of the kitchen, laundry, bridge, and backstage.

We've signed up for the All Access Dining Package on FOS. This includes a dinner at Chops, a dinner at Portofino, and a 3-3 1/2 hour ship tour behind the scenes.

We've had a galley tour before, but we're looking forward to seeing some of the other areas. Only 15 people are in a group, and I was only offered the next to last sea day; I don't know if the tour is offered more than once per sailing.

Barb

Archived