Last Minute Deals

NJPrisonCop

Anyone have solid advice for saving significant money on last minute deals? I am thinking of a cruise out of NYC next year for my family of 5. I posted earlier, but apparently I couldn't use my email address for advice. So I will ask it here.

How much time do you consider last minute? A few days, weeks, or a month. I have done two last minute cruises booking within a two to four weeks of the cruise. One was at Thanksgiving, and the savings were good compared to if I had booked it months or a year in advance. The smaller the group or party, the better chances you'll have or getting a cabin. I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to get off for one of the days during the cruise, but I started watching it months in advance. I saw cabins closed/booked, and then be made available, during the time I was researching my options. I knew what ship I wanted to go on, what cabin category (any), and the locations (as long as its between two passenger decks). The price also went down, during the times I was looking to book. Another thing to consider is how close to the port you are. I was a two hours drive. if your really interested in booking last minute, I would say have the cash/credit card immediately available or the number to a good travel agent that could hold the reservation until you could get access to the cash/cards. I was watching mine on the cruise website and an online agency, and booked with the agency due to the amenities being offered.

We generally book at least a year in advance and I've just kept my eye out for price drops. To date, I've never seen a last minute price as low as what we've paid. Correction, there was once (this year) a drop of $30 for new bookings to our cruise, it was in place for a few days, then disappeared and the fare went up.

Because we want cabins next to each other, I'd never take a chance on last minute bookings.

Just get on the mailing lists of all the cruise lines you would like to consider and also on the mailing lists of travel agencies.

You can find a bunch of them above under Cruise Deals right here on Cruise Critic.

Then you will be bombarded with offers of Last Minute Deals every week, so it would be a good idea to use a special email address just for this purpose.

Also check for any special discounted rates for which you may be eligible, such as senior, military, resident, union, teacher, police, etc. Different types of discounts are offered by different cruise lines at different times so there is no telling when they may appear or disappear.

Just to give an example of last minute deals being offered right now:

Holland American is currently having sales on 7 night Alaska cruises

starting at $349 pp for inside and $399 pp for obstructed ocean view on

the Statendam for Sept. 2.

We book last minute specials pretty much every time we go (2-4 weeks out) and have gotten some great deals. This works well for us for a couple of reasons

1) we live within a 4 hour drive of several ports so have flexibility

2) we're not loyal to any one line

3) not fussy about the destination either - as long as its warm and has a beach we're happy

4) don't really care about cabin type or location - we usually end up with an inside but have occasionally booked A balcony if the price is within 100$ of an inside cabin price.

We're the perfect family to take advantage of last minute specials because we're not fussy. The more expectations you have the less chance it would work for you.

Carnival will credit you back price drops all the way to the day of your sailing if you book in advance.....they will reduce price up to final payment and give room credit after.....

RCCL.....you are locked at 60 days....no refunds, no reimbursements

Some more examples of good last minute deals now being advertised by some of the well-known travel agencies

- Majesty of the Seas 4 night Bahamas cruise Sept. 3

Inside from $169, Oceanview from $189

- Carnival Imagination 4 night Western Caribbean Cruise Oct. 29

Inside from $179, Oceanview from $199

There are some good prices available on 7 night Norwegian Jewel cruises from New York to the Bahamas in December that could be worth watching because the prices may go even lower as the departure dates get closer.

Carnival will credit you back price drops all the way to the day of your sailing if you book in advance.....they will reduce price up to final payment and give room credit after.....
That applies if you book under Carnival's Early Saver program, which has a lot of restrictions and loopholes, as we found out.

In some cases it can be a good deal, but anyone who books that way should read the entire agreement carefully so that you are aware of all the conditions and restrictions in the small print.

Many people have been burned by booking Early Saver and swear that they will never sail with Carnival again, even though their disappointment was their own fault for not reading the terms carefully and being unaware of the limitations imposed when booking under that plan.

Sometimes this can work to your advantage and other times you may find the cruise will cost more.

Very true. We have met people onboard before who are boasting about their last minute pricing. We've never fessed up that we paid less for our balcony cabin than their last minute inside cabin. On several cruises.

Very true. We have met people onboard before who are boasting about their last minute pricing. We've never fessed up that we paid less for our balcony cabin than their last minute inside cabin. On several cruises.
Then why not share the specific details and state just where you find balcony cabins for less than the $110 - $350 price range frequently charged for last minute inside or ocean view cabins.

There are lots of us who would love to know where you find those balcony cabins for which you pay less.

Archived