Anytime Entertainment??

mikjr

So does this mean that while there might be three 30 minute shows in the theater, there won't be a commedian in explorers?

Bob

We still had comedians, magicians, singers and other forms of entertainment on board the two cruises I took this spring. It was much easier to choose what you wanted to do for the evening.

Just to affirm that our shows were 40-45 minutes, The 7:00 show came out of the theater at 7:45.

We still had comedians, magicians, singers and other forms of entertainment on board the two cruises I took this spring. It was much easier to choose what you wanted to do for the evening.

Were these in the Princess Theater or in other venues?

Were these in the Princess Theater or in other venues?

Both... An example: One night a comedian did three shows in the Princess Theater. On another night, he worked with another comedian- singer on a different show.On the night they used the Princess theater, the Beatles show was held in Club Fusion.

We have been cruising Princess since 2007. I have experienced both the old and the new entertainment schedules. I truly find it easier to do more than one venue in an evening with the new schedule.

So does this mean that while there might be three 30 minute shows in the theater, there won't be a commedian in explorers?

Bob

Yes. Explorers is reserved for game shows and theme parties. Club Fusion is music and dancing.

There was one late night comedian in (I think) Club Fusion..if you can stay up that late (we can't).

Yes. Explorers is reserved for game shows and theme parties. Club Fusion is music and dancing.

There was one late night comedian in (I think) Club Fusion..if you can stay up that late (we can't).

Guess we'll have to wait and see what the Sapphire has planned in March of next year.....:):):)

Bob

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I just got off the Sapphire Princess this morning (did b2b). The production shows were only 30 minutes.

I also did b2b on the Diamond Princess this July & the production shows were also only 30 minutes.

By the way since both cruises went to Alaska the production shows were IDENTICAL on both ships.

Just to affirm that our shows were 40-45 minutes, The 7:00 show came out of the theater at 7:45.

I agree. When I first heard of this new entertainment schedule I was worried, but I found out I like it better than the old one.

They were trying it on the Sapphire in May. There were 3 production shows at 7, 8:30 and 10:15. The show was only about 10-15 minutes shorter than the old format. I timed our first show and it was 42 minutes including the CD's talk at the end. We had first seating dinner at 5:30 in the MDR and got to the 7:00 show about 2 minutes before it started. We sat in the front row and the theater was only half full. In the past we had to get to the show at least 30 minutes in advance to get a seat. I loved being able to waltz in 2 minutes before showtime and get a front section seat! It also left us time to do so much more with our evening since we were out of the show by 7:45.

I did not experience any reduction in other entertainment as some have suggested. We still had a comedien, a magician, and a singer who played multiple times during the cruise. We were able to enjoy more of these other acts because of the improved scheduling of the production shows. I think the entertainment changes are a huge improvement and I am glad Princess is making them permanent and fleetwide.

They were trying it on the Sapphire in May. There were 3 production shows at 7, 8:30 and 10:15. The show was only about 10-15 minutes shorter than the old format. I timed our first show and it was 42 minutes including the CD's talk at the end.

I just got off the Sapphire Princess this morning (did b2b). The production shows were only 30 minutes.

Looks like the experiment on the Sapphire in May had longer shows than in August.

Looks like the experiment on the Sapphire in May had longer shows than in August.

It might have been but I never count the CD's corny jokes & announcements at the end of the show about what is going on as part of entertainment. It only allows us to get a head start on walking out.

I seriously doubt it. When these threads starting appearing about a new 30 minute show format in the early part of this year I was as upset as anyone. I loved the hour long shows and couldn't believe Princess was cutting them down by half. That is why I decided to time the show when I realized the new format was being tested on my May sailing. The show itself was 37 minutes and the the CD did his thing for 5 minutes. The old format was about 50 minutes and then the CD talk.

That is why I stated the shows have been cut about 10-15 minutes in length and not by 30 minutes as being reported in some of these threads. The 10-15 minute cut amounts to about 3 less song and dance numbers per show. I found it hardly noticeable and in exchange for the cut, we didn't have to get to the show 30 minutes early and we were able to partake of other acts we would have missed. I thought it was well worth the trade off.

If you read through some of the many threads on this topic, you will see that posters who don't like the new format are reporting 30 minute shows and others are reporting the show gets out after 40-45 minutes. In one thread, Coral reported talking to the CD who stated the show format had been cut by 10 minutes to accommodate 3 shows.

The reports that other entertainers (comediens, magicians, singers) have been eliminated are false. They had the same number of those acts on my last cruise. Just read some of the most recent reviews on these boards and passengers are still reviewing the various singers, magicians, etc currently appearing on board. In fact, with the new Piazza area on the Sapphire, I thought there was more entertainment than ever, because now there is always entertainment in the atrium.

I do not think the change to 3 production shows is a cost cutting measure. If fact, you could argue that the entertainers are in a good position for negotiating a raise because now they must perform 3 shows instead of just two. I think this is the response of Princess to the many complaints that passengers were unable to see the shows due to lack of seating. I am glad Princess was responsive and I appreciate the new schedule.

I seriously doubt it. When these threads starting appearing about a new 30 minute show format in the early part of this year I was as upset as anyone. I loved the hour long shows and couldn't believe Princess was cutting them down by half. That is why I decided to time the show when I realized the new format was being tested on my May sailing. The show itself was 37 minutes and the the CD did his thing for 5 minutes. The old format was about 50 minutes and then the CD talk.

That is why I stated the shows have been cut about 10-15 minutes in length and not by 30 minutes as being reported in some of these threads. The 10-15 minute cut amounts to about 3 less song and dance numbers per show. I found it hardly noticeable and in exchange for the cut, we didn't have to get to the show 30 minutes early and we were able to partake of other acts we would have missed. I thought it was well worth the trade off.

If you read through some of the many threads on this topic, you will see that posters who don't like the new format are reporting 30 minute shows and others are reporting the show gets out after 40-45 minutes. In one thread, Coral reported talking to the CD who stated the show format had been cut by 10 minutes to accommodate 3 shows.

The reports that other entertainers (comediens, magicians, singers) have been eliminated are false. They had the same number of those acts on my last cruise. Just read some of the most recent reviews on these boards and passengers are still reviewing the various singers, magicians, etc currently appearing on board. In fact, with the new Piazza area on the Sapphire, I thought there was more entertainment than ever, because now there is always entertainment in the atrium.

I do not think the change to 3 production shows is a cost cutting measure. If fact, you could argue that the entertainers are in a good position for negotiating a raise because now they must perform 3 shows instead of just two. I think this is the response of Princess to the many complaints that passengers were unable to see the shows due to lack of seating. I am glad Princess was responsive and I appreciate the new schedule.

Thank you Princess Patches. I couldn't have said it better myself. :)

What other performers? On the Emerald, there WERE no other performers. There were game shows, theme parties and fellow passengers singing. I do not consider these shows. Beatle Maniacs went from playing two different 45 minute shows in the Princess Theater on two different nights to doing 3 - 30 minute shows one on night and two music sets in Club Fusion on another night (Club Fusion seating about half as many people). Aside from them, Club Fusion featured the normal ship bands and dancing in Club Fusion and was mostly empty the other nights.

I wonder what these other shows are that people say they now get to see? There used to be a chance for two different shows each night...that's no longer the case. That used to be a plus for Princess...now they're down to one show like the other cruise lines, and it's a shorter one too. I don't think anyone has said that the shows were cut BY 30 minutes...people have said that the shows were cut TO 30 minutes.

It's being rolled out on the Island, and there is no shortage of seats in the theaters on this ship.

Thank you Princess Patches. I couldn't have said it better myself. :)

I actually thought we had the most entertainment on a one week cruise on the Sapphire in May that I have ever seen.

Four production shows (in the past only 3 on a one week cruise):

Born to Be Wild

Don't Stop the Music

Do You Wanna Dance

I Got the Music

We had the following comedians and magicians:

Rollin J. Moore

Steven Moris

James Michael

We had the following bands/singers:

Indigo with lead singer

Pat Juneau Trio

Oceans Quartet

Doug Tann Orchestra (Big Band)

Bruce Tilden

And in the Piazza (this was brand new to have entertainment in the new atrium area):

Rudy-Piano Melodies

Amazing Matrix Cube

Vaz and Mascio (Jazz)

Sapphire Princess Singers and Dancers

I have listed only the evening entertainment and have not mentioned any of the daytime entertainment offered.

In additon to the shows in the Princess Theater nightly, there was a second show in the Explorer's Lounge every night featuring the comedians, magicians, and/or the lead singer with Indigo except for two nights (Monday and Thursday). On those two nights there were game shows in the Explorer's lounge, but Club Fusion featured music and dancing in that venue on those two nights for those who preferred music (the Doug Tann Orchestra on one night and the Pat Juneau Trio on the other night in Club Fusion).

I've just pulled out Patter from last February on the Emerald. I chose two different nights, not including the last night of the cruise, when entertainment is always a bit light.

Here were the choices for Monday, February 13, 2012:

Princess Theater: Boogie Shoes at 7:15pm, 8:30pm and 10:15pm

Explorers Lounge: Ballroom dance class at 8:30pm; Trivia at 9:15pm; Princess Pop Star final heat at 10pm; the Yes No Game at 11:15pm

Club Fusion: 50 and 60s Dance Music 8:30pm and 10:30pm featuring Evolution

MUTS: I Don't Know How She Does It at 7pm and 10pm

Wheelhouse: Dancing with the Claudine Carle Trio at 7:30pm, 9:00pm and 10:30pm

Here were the choices for Sunday, February 12, 2012:

Princess Theater: Comedian Don Ware at 7:15pm, 8:30pm and 10:15pm

Explorers Lounge: Trivia at 7:30pm; Dancing with Xtasea at 8:15pm and 10:15pm

Club Fusion: "Live" Dance party to Evolution at 7:30pm, 9pm and 10:30pm; DJ Megan at 8:15-9pm, 9:45 to 10:30pm,

MUTS: Sara's Key at 7pm and 10pm

There was also the standard piano fare in Crooners from 9pm on and a DJ in Skywalkers from 10pm on

If you wanted to dance, there were plenty of venues. Trivia is morning, noon and night. But comedians, when there were any, were in the Princess Theater. There was no entertainment in Explorers other than trivia, games shows and theme parties/dancing. The Piazza acts, while entertaining, generally lasted 5 minutes and were performed only twice each evening.

Perhaps other ships have rolled out "modified" AE. Or perhaps they just haven't fully rolled it out yet. But there were obvious cuts in entertainment on the Emerald as soon as the new formatting was rolled out on January 17th.

If fact, you could argue that the entertainers are in a good position for negotiating a raise because now they must perform 3 shows instead of just two.

There are far, far more people who want jobs as singers and dancers

onboard, then there are jobs.

I've just pulled out Patter from last February on the Emerald. I chose two different nights, not including the last night of the cruise, when entertainment is always a bit light.

Here were the choices for Monday, February 13, 2012:

Princess Theater: Boogie Shoes at 7:15pm, 8:30pm and 10:15pm

Explorers Lounge: Ballroom dance class at 8:30pm; Trivia at 9:15pm; Princess Pop Star final heat at 10pm; the Yes No Game at 11:15pm

Club Fusion: 50 and 60s Dance Music 8:30pm and 10:30pm featuring Evolution

MUTS: I Don't Know How She Does It at 7pm and 10pm

Here were the choices for Sunday, February 12, 2012:

Princess Theater: Comedian Don Ware at 7:15pm, 8:30pm and 10:15pm

Explorers Lounge: Trivia at 7:30pm; Dancing with Xtasea at 8:15pm and 10:15pm

Club Fusion: "Live" Dance party to Evolution at 7:30pm, 9pm and 10:30pm; DJ Megan at 8:15-9pm, 9:45 to 10:30pm,

MUTS: Sara's Key at 7pm and 10pm

There was also the standard piano fare in Crooners from 9pm on and a DJ in Skywalkers from 10pm on

If you wanted to dance, there were plenty of venues. Trivia is morning, noon and night. But comedians, when there were any, were in the Princess Theater. There was no entertainment in Explorers other than trivia, games shows and theme parties/dancing. The Piazza acts, while entertaining, generally lasted 5 minutes and were performed only twice each evening.

Perhaps other ships have rolled out "modified" AE. Or perhaps they just haven't fully rolled it out yet. But there were obvious cuts in entertainment on the Emerald as soon as the new formatting was rolled out on January 17th.

While this new schedule may well satisfy some of the new cruisers who have never experienced the old style of doing things it certainly is lacking unless you enjoy entertaining yourself dancing of playing trivia. Now the singers & dancers can work a little harder one evening & get the next night off to party with their friends in the crew bar.

I hadn't noticed this on previous cruises. But the singers on our summer cruise were doing 10-15 minute quickie sets in the atrium, drawing good crowds.

Thank you for confirming what I thought that the shows were closer to 40 minutes than 30.

They've been trimming down the 40 minutes shows for a while now by a couple of numbers in each performance. Unless you've seen a particular show a number of times you might never notice the difference. I suspect it's been in preparation for the 30 minute style shows.

Archived