Anytime Entertainment??

mikjr

While I was reading through all of this thread, my initial thought was that there's no way a shorter show would be any good.

After reading through this, and thinking about it, I do often get bored with the shows after about 30 minutes.

The other good thing appears to be that I can actually go to shows. We tend to do late seating. With only 2 shows per evening, there were often nights where the late seating show would be after dinner. By 10:00 pm, I'm often ready to think about bed, not going to a show.

So, maybe this means I can actually enjoy some shows!

While this new schedule may well satisfy some of the new cruisers who have never experienced the old style of doing things it certainly is lacking unless you enjoy entertaining yourself dancing of playing trivia.

People seem to be getting sidetracked in the "shortened show" thing. (BTW, the only time a 30 minute show is better than a 45-50 minute show is if the show is crap to start with, in which case a 10 minute show might be best of all).

But it's not just shortened shows...it's the lack of a different show in another venue. It's trivia, music and dancing, dancing, music and trivia with a few of your fellow passengers singing thrown in for some variation. It's a significant change to the traditional Princess entertainment style. If you like it better, that's wonderful. We do not.

People seem to be getting sidetracked in the "shortened show" thing. (BTW, the only time a 30 minute show is better than a 45-50 minute show is if the show is crap to start with, in which case a 10 minute show might be best of all).

But it's not just shortened shows...it's the lack of a different show in another venue. It's trivia, music and dancing, dancing, music and trivia with a few of your fellow passengers singing thrown in for some variation. It's a significant change to the traditional Princess entertainment style. If you like it better, that's wonderful. We do not.

After reading your 100 day blog, I'm really surprised to see this statement. You seemed to be having a wonderful time with the entertainment even after the new schedule was implemented.

We enjoyed the entertainment . The new schedule made it possible for us to enjoy more entertainment than the old schedule.

I have some reservations about the lack of other options in addition to the shows in the theater. Guess I'll see first hand in March.....:):):)

Bob

I have some reservations about the lack of other options in addition to the shows in the theater. Guess I'll see first hand in March.....:):):)

Bob

It helps to enjoy listening to music even if you don't dance. But we were often sitting with only 6 to 8 other people in Club Fusion during the band sets, and no one was dancing.

We never went to anything in Explorers after the change. Those sorts of things simply don't appeal to us.

After reading your 100 day blog, I'm really surprised to see this statement. You seemed to be having a wonderful time with the entertainment even after the new schedule was implemented.

We enjoyed the entertainment . The new schedule made it possible for us to enjoy more entertainment than the old schedule.

And the point of your first paragraph is what, exactly? Are you calling me a liar then, or now?

If you read my blog, you'll see several comments after January 17th about the changes in entertainment and our displeasure with it. Just remember that my blog was intended for friends and family, most of whom have never stepped foot on a cruise ship. For me to have complained ad nauseum about the lack of entertainment in Explorers would have meant nothing to them. I ultimately posted the link to my blog on CC hoping that someone might glean some information about the ship, or the islands, or how to do things on your own.

I did, however, come to CC almost immediately (while still on our cruise) to report that changes were afoot and then later to report our impressions of them. These impressions were never positive.

I'm glad you feel you enjoyed more entertainment than the old schedule. But, again, I have to ask, what entertainment, other than the Princess Theater shows which were shortened? Trivia, dancing, and games shows? Listening to fellow passengers try to sing (karaoke) or sing (Princess Pop Star)? I don't put these on par with having a second full act in Explorers...it's obvious that you do.

Perhaps it would be helpful if you posted the evening entertainment from a couple of your nights on the Emerald. If there truly were additions to the entertainment schedule after the three cruises we were on following the change, then I will be most pleased that what was tried had been abandoned in favor of something more entertaining. Otherwise, I'll just assume that you enjoy the new format because you enjoy the sorts of things that were offered in Explorers...but you must admit that the different show each evening that was offered prior to January 17th is no longer offered.

And the point of your first paragraph is what, exactly? Are you calling me a liar then, or now? No, just expressing my confusion.

If you read my blog, you'll see several comments after January 17th about the changes in entertainment and our displeasure with it. Just remember that my blog was intended for friends and family, most of whom have never stepped foot on a cruise ship. For me to have complained ad nauseum about the lack of entertainment in Explorers would have meant nothing to them. I ultimately posted the link to my blog on CC hoping that someone might glean some information about the ship, or the islands, or how to do things on your own.

I did, however, come to CC almost immediately (while still on our cruise) to report that changes were afoot and then later to report our impressions of them. These impressions were never positive.

I'm glad you feel you enjoyed more entertainment than the old schedule. But, again, I have to ask, what entertainment, other than the Princess Theater shows which were shortened? Trivia, dancing, and games shows? Listening to fellow passengers try to sing (karaoke) or sing (Princess Pop Star)? I don't put these on par with having a second full act in Explorers...it's obvious that you do.

Perhaps it would be helpful if you posted the evening entertainment from a couple of your nights on the Emerald. If there truly were additions to the entertainment schedule after the three cruises we were on following the change, then I will be most pleased that what was tried had been abandoned in favor of something more entertaining. Otherwise, I'll just assume that you enjoy the new format because you enjoy the sorts of things that were offered in Explorers...but you must admit that the different show each evening that was offered prior to January 17th is no longer offered.

On one evening we went to dinner, attended a production show, and enjoyed a jazz concert in the Adagio.

On another evening we went to dinner, saw a comedian in the Princess theater, followed by the Beatles show in Fusion.

We saw 4 production shows, three comedians, 3 movies, attended two jazz programs and other activities during our cruise. If the performers alternated nights in the Princess theater, they put on three shows a night and all diners were given a chance to see whatever they wanted. The number of acts really haven't changed, only the scheduling. I never had the time on our previous Princess Cruises to accomplish this much entertainment after dinner.

On one evening we went to dinner, attended a production show, and enjoyed a jazz concert in the Adagio.

On another evening we went to dinner, saw a comedian in the Princess theater, followed by the Beatles show in Fusion.

We saw 4 production shows, three comedians, 3 movies, attended two jazz programs and other activities during our cruise. If the performers alternated nights in the Princess theater, they put on three shows a night and all diners were given a chance to see whatever they wanted. The number of acts really haven't changed, only the scheduling. I never had the time on our previous Princess Cruises to accomplish this much entertainment after dinner.

On a 10 night cruise you saw 7 shows and 3 movies. The jazz programs (there was one on our cruises) took place later in Adagio, I'm guessing (although I think they did one in the Piazza, about 15 minutes in length). There was never a second show in Explorers. That is my point.

So it all comes down to who is playing in the Explorer's Lounge in the evening in the determination of whether Princess is providing us with satisfactory entertainment? It seems like an odd standard to me, but here are the "second shows" in Explorer's on the May 5 sailing of the Sapphire:

Saturday- Indigo with lead singer Angela Ryan

Sunday - Indigo with lead singer Angela Ryan

Monday - James Michael (comedian/magician)

Tuesday - James Michael (comedian/magician)

Wednesday - Rollin J. Moore (comedian)

Thursday - no singer, comedian or magician (two game shows)

Friday - Indigo with lead singer Angela Ryan

So on our cruise we had only one night of the seven when there was no second show (singer, comedian, or magician) in the Explorer's lounge.

There was never a second show in Explorers. That is my point.

I must have been too busy elsewhere to notice.

So it all comes down to who is playing in the Explorer's Lounge in the evening in the determination of whether Princess is providing us with satisfactory entertainment? It seems like an odd standard to me, but here are the "second shows" in Explorer's on the May 5 sailing of the Sapphire:

So on our cruise we had only one night of the seven when there was no second show (singer, comedian, or magician) in the Explorer's lounge.

I must learn to save my Patters.:)

I'd also bet that the show on Monday & Tues was the same exact show. :p

It may have been if he had not been in the Princess theater.

Before the change, there were 2 theater shows at 8 and 10. The comedian would occupy the theater one night, and do a repeat show the next in another venue for the many that couldn't get into the theater on the first night. Same for the production shows, of which two or three different shows were performed in a 10 day cruise. On the nights they performed in the Princess theater, the comedians performed in other venue. The production show would offer another performance the next day for those that didn't get to see the first night performance.

Now The shows are performed 3 times in one venue. There were 3 different comedians-magicians-mentalists, and 4 different production shows in 10 days, among other entertainment.

I think we got more entertainment for our buck after the change.:D

Well, there were two comedians in Explorers (the other nights are just dancing and game shows), so that's two better than in Explorers on the Emerald...

Some people just refuse to see the difference between pre-Anytime Entertainment and AE when it comes to having a second performer in Explorers. That tells me all I need to know about their ability to maintain any kind of objectivism when it come to anything Princess.

I thought the reason they went to three shows in the Princess Theater was to overcome crowding issues, but they're about to do the same on the Island, and I never saw any crowding issues on that ship. One of the performers suggested it was because Princess doesn't want people sitting for longer periods not spending money...better to move us around and increase the opportunity for additional revenue. As for eliminating the second performer in Explorers- I originally thought it was driven by cost savings. However, on the Emerald, they brought on board a second band to play Club Fusion at the same time they implemented AE. They need more cabins than a guest entertainer, so even if they're paid less (and I'm not certain 4 musicians would be paid less than one guest entertainer) they take up more real estate. So I'm not certain why the second act was eliminated in favor of more music/dancing.

I think we got more entertainment for our buck after the change.:D

You do seem happy with the newer format of what they consider decent ship entertainment. I suppose you just missed out on many performances prior to all the repetitiveness and elimination of guest entertainers and now have the opertunity to see everything.

When we cruise our schedule in the evenings is based upon #1. Dinner, #2 the main show and in the past, a different guest entertainer (or different material) and #3 A decent movie either in the show Explorers lounge of main show lounge.

I thought the reason they went to three shows in the Princess Theater was to overcome crowding issues, but they're about to do the same on the Island, and I never saw any crowding issues on that ship. One of the performers suggested it was because Princess doesn't want people sitting for longer periods not spending money...better to move us around and increase the opportunity for additional revenue. As for eliminating the second performer in Explorers- I originally thought it was driven by cost savings. However, on the Emerald, they brought on board a second band to play Club Fusion at the same time they implemented AE. They need more cabins than a guest entertainer, so even if they're paid less (and I'm not certain 4 musicians would be paid less than one guest entertainer) they take up more real estate. So I'm not certain why the second act was eliminated in favor of more music/dancing.

It's all driven by costs & saving money and not because someone didn't have the opertunity to see all the shows. I can remember the time when they always had a guest entertainer in the smaller lounge every evening. Then they went to showing the same main show one time the following night to everyone the opertunity to see it and at the same time cut back on the guest entertainers + the fact that they hold over the same movies for months on end.

There still showing the same flicks as they were in April.

Don't tell me that everyone really considers dancing, trivia or the newlywed game as entertainment. What's next, passing out cards to the people to play games. :p

Doesn't everyone see the reduction?

Well, there were two comedians in Explorers (the other nights are just dancing and game shows), so that's two better than in Explorers on the Emerald...

Some people just refuse to see the difference between pre-Anytime Entertainment and AE when it comes to having a second performer in Explorers. That tells me all I need to know about their ability to maintain any kind of objectivism when it come to anything Princess.

Since I have not yet experienced the changes, I would not say you are wrong. Except for the small Princess ships I have always considered the repeating of the same production show on different nights and the need to go to the show early to get a seat a negative for Princess. Perhaps the fact that you do not believe from your experience that seating for the main theater is a Princess problem helps formulate your belief that a change was not necessarly. I think you would find that many people do not agree that crowding was not an issue.

Of course the multiple shows in other venues has always been a real highlight on Princess. I hope that it does not change significantly. I guess I would see if I agree with you when I experience it for myself.

Here is Chamima's live thread of the Emerald February 2012 sailings:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1562609

She sailed B2B on February 6th and 16th sailings. She talks enthusiastically about the extensive entertainment options during the sailings. Please note in posts 48, 88, and 124 she mentions three different second shows after the Princess Theater production shows performed during the cruise (by two different comedians and a Beatlemania performance). So now we have independent confirmation of multiple second shows on the February Emerald sailings.

In all honesty, I have sailed on Princess more than 20 times and have never experienced a sailing when there were no second shows after the Princess Theater main show, including my most recent sailing on the Sapphire in May.

In all honesty, I have sailed on Princess more than 20 times and have never experienced a sailing when there were no second shows after the Princess Theater main show, including my most recent sailing on the Sapphire in May.

You will as soon as they phase the new entertainment schedule in on all their ships. Just wait & see for yourself.

We are recounting our experiences. We were on the ships both pre and post the change.

You are recounting your experiences both pre and post the change.

Objectivity has nothing to do with it in either case.

As for eliminating the second performer in Explorers- I originally thought it was driven by cost savings. However, on the Emerald, they brought on board a second band to play Club Fusion at the same time they implemented AE. They need more cabins than a guest entertainer, so even if they're paid less (and I'm not certain 4 musicians would be paid less than one guest entertainer) they take up more real estate. So I'm not certain why the second act was eliminated in favor of more music/dancing.

There are usually two different on board bands (in addition to the Princess show band). Was this new band a third band or just the second one arriving?

Also, there are costs associated with a second performer beyond salary and cabin space. There are also the costs of flying the second entertainers from dismebarkation ports to the next embarkation ports, possible onshore hotel rooms associated with this, cost of meals while traveling, and the cost of setting up the logistics for all this. And if the ship has to miss a port where a new entertainer comes on, they have to fly him/her to the next feasible port.

In the Caribbean and Alaska, the second entertainers can usually just switch ships the same day in a port, but this is not usually feasible in other parts of the world.

I thought the reason they went to three shows in the Princess Theater was to overcome crowding issues, but they're about to do the same on the Island, and I never saw any crowding issues on that ship.

Perhaps the fact that you do not believe from your experience that seating for the main theater is a Princess problem helps formulate your belief that a change was not necessarly. I think you would find that many people do not agree that crowding was not an issue.

The poster was referring to a specific ship, the Island, a ship with less than 2000 passengers and on which there are no overcrowing issues in the Princess Theater most of the time. (Sapphire is also the same.)

For this ship, the change to anytime entertainment is not necessary as the theater easily holds all those who want to see the two full length performances each evening.

Different strokes.......for us the dancing is the important part of our cruising, and if they have indeed added more music opportunity we will be thrilled, we had left Princess for 2 years because of the lack of dance music, have now booked again and hope that this is indeed the case.

I posted two examples of this on the Emerald. I could post 28 more, but I'm not accustomed to hitting my head against a wall anymore once it starts hurting.

There are usually two different on board bands (in addition to the Princess show band). Was this new band a third band or just the second one arriving?.

This was a third band, in additional to the Princess orchestra. So there was the Princess orchestra, a band in Wheelhouse, a band in Explorers and a band in Club Fusion.

Different strokes.......for us the dancing is the important part of our cruising, and if they have indeed added more music opportunity we will be thrilled, we had left Princess for 2 years because of the lack of dance music, have now booked again and hope that this is indeed the case.

Go on the Emerald...you will be thrilled. Three different bands/three different types of music to dance to every night. Unless, of course, it's changed since February 16. But I can't answer that. All we hear from posters here is that there was "lots of entertainment, more than ever". Let's hope.

But I wonder if people posting that they are 30 minute shows have actually even been on a Princess cruise with this new concept.

I have cruised 30 plus times with Princess and did a B2B2b in May and they changed the format to 30 minutes during these cruises. I sat next to the CD during the Most Traveled Lunch where he explained why they were doing it and how everyone was happy with the change on ships that had already implemented it.

I was not happy.

I sat next to the CD during the Most Traveled Lunch where he explained why they were doing it and how everyone was happy with the change on ships that had already implemented it.

What did HE say was the reason? I've heard several now...

I was not happy.

I'm sorry to hear this. And you weren't even on the Emerald, but on one of these other ships with "loads of entertainment". It appears that the Sapphire, for one, is better off, with comedians 3 different nights (although one was a repeat). And the Island in August still had two different 'prime time' shows to choose from most nights...but that's changing 9/12/12.

Here is Chamima's live thread of the Emerald February 2012 sailings:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1562609

She sailed B2B on February 6th and 16th sailings. She talks enthusiastically about the extensive entertainment options during the sailings. Please note in posts 48, 88, and 124 she mentions three different second shows after the Princess Theater production shows performed during the cruise (by two different comedians and a Beatlemania performance). So now we have independent confirmation of multiple second shows on the February Emerald sailings.

I went back and looked at her live from...the three shows she's mentioned are the late night comedians, one of each sailing (I also mentioned them) and the BeatleManiacs playing in lieu of a dance band one evening in Club Fusion, which seats fewer people, instead of a second, different Princess Theater show (ditto).

No surprises. Also no mention of a second show in Explorers.

Archived