Help Discount TA ?

Lrob

Lrob, you really should have kept on shopping around. Having to pay $100 to cancel a booking is a good reason NOT to use that TA. It takes all of 2 minutes to cancel a booking.

I agree it is much better to use a TA that does not have a cancellation charge, but if there is a charge, it covers more than the 2 minutes it takes to cancel a booking. It includes compensation for all the work the TA did when booking the cruise and possible work for the client after that.

A TA that does not have a cancellation charge values the client and expects to have future business from him/her.

$100 Cancelation Fee is excessive even for most TA's that do charge a Cancelation Fee . :(

Agree.

There was one b2b2b I recently booked but did not use a TA which promised a nice amount of OBC because there was a $200/person/segment cancellation charge. No way was I going to risk $1200 for the promise of some OBC.

Cabin fares are loss leaders. Cruise lines barely break even, if they do at all, based on cabin fares. Profit comes from onboard spending. That's why there are so many "for fee" restaurants and services.

Understood. It's like cheap printers that use expensive ink.

On any Travel Agency make sure they are ASTA, which requires a 1/2 Million $USD Bond to belong.

That way you well know it will not disappear with your monies.

Same as in anything READ everything and well.:cool:

Remember it is your own money your spending.;)

I'm confused. When people say they save this huge amount of money by using an online TA, do they mean off the brochure price or off a special sales price?

I am (actually the whole family is) booked on a 7 day November Caribbean cruise and my TA's price is still over 10% below the cheapest price I have seen it for if booking directly through Princess.

Hello All: Reading these boards I learned that a discount online TA can save money on Princess bookings. Thank you all. I have looked on the net and found a BB A plus rated agency in the US and noted here on CC website. They do have a good discount on a room I just booked for a Panama Canal cruise. I would like to tranfer the booking. BUT - I am nervous about this. When I worked as a DA (what most people call them - in my home state it is assistant state's attorney, but most people don't use that term) there were several criminal cases involving travel agencies who made off with the goods and did not provide the service. Even absent criminal intent,the economy stinks and bankruptcy could be an issue. What is the best way to protect myself and use the discount TA? I would love to book with TA and pay Princess directly, but this doesn't look like an option from reading the website.

I may be paranoid. A real hazard of my work (criminal law). Please talk me down, affirm my concerns or offer solutions - all ideas welcomed and appreciated.

I would be nervous about working with an online TA. We like going in and talking one on one with the TA. There are other CC members who have no problems with online TA.

I'm confused. When people say they save this huge amount of money by using an online TA, do they mean off the brochure price or off a special sales price?

I booked with Princess and transferred the booking to a TA about 10 days later. Savings over 15%.

They mean off the price Princess currently offers (as if you had booked with Princess that day).

I would be nervous about working with an online TA. We like going in and talking one on one with the TA. There are other CC members who have no problems with online TA.

The TA I use is not online, but lives across the country and works what seems like all the time. I can call her and email her but she gives online pricing. I know a lot of people who book with agents like this. We want a real person in case something goes wrong (weather, cancellations, etc..) and we want to build a relationship so that if the agent sees something that we are possibly interested in (a great deal), they will let us know.

You're confusing an online TA with a discount TA. They are not the same thing. Like Coral, my discount TA has an office and gives great prices... but they're online as well.

I have already booked directly with Princess for a suite in 2013. If I transfer to a discounted TA, will I get a new price and a new balance owed? Or am I locked in to Princess. I don't want to cancel, because there are no more suites like the one I booked. Thoughts?
You are not locked into Princess. Once you find a TA you want to use, give them your booking number and they will assume the booking and give you a confirmation with their pricing. You won't lose the cabin if you transfer the booking to a TA. Your booking # is your booking #, whether it's with Princess or a TA, and doesn't change. You do not have to cancel and rebook.

[quote name='GrandCanyon2005']I have already booked directly with Princess for a suite in 2013. If I transfer to a discounted TA, will I get a new price and a new balance owed? Or am I locked in to Princess. I don't want to cancel, because there are no more suites like the one I booked. Thoughts?[/QUOTE]

Shop around and ask questions until you find the best discount TA. The price you are paying for that suite will save you beaucoup bucks when you transfer.

[quote name='fyree39']What is the advantage to switching a booking to a TA after booking with Princess? I don't understand. :([/QUOTE]
If you find a good iscount TA, you can save a significant amount. I booked a cruise while on a Princess cruise in May. Got home and checke prices. Transferred the booking to a TA about 10 days after booking and saved nearly 20%.

[quote name='fyree39']What is the advantage to switching a booking to a TA after booking with Princess? I don't understand. :([/QUOTE]Easy: you can save 10-20%, depending on the cruise and cabin category, plus get OBC and other perks. Plus, you have an advocate if anything goes wrong or you have a question. A Princess rep or PVP will always take Princess' side.

Archived