Oosterdam?

sunnydaze

Just wondering why the Oosterdam was so late getting into Victoria tonight? I feel so sorry for the poor passengers. Victoria is so beautiful, and I think they must have only had about 1 1/2hr here. So dissapointing!

Does anyone know what happened?

Just wondering why the Oosterdam was so late getting into Victoria tonight? I feel so sorry for the poor passengers. Victoria is so beautiful, and I think they must have only had about 1 1/2hr here. So dissapointing!

Does anyone know what happened?

Oosterdam has been running very late all season. First the ships really have to move it between Ketchikan and Victoria due to the distance and many times the winds are quite severe delaying the ships as they get closer to Victoria but the major reason is the Oosterdam has been running slower due to a mechanical problem all season (this started at the end of Hawaii season) which keeps her from going at full speed, when she does she has severe vibration. So for the comfort of the passengers she has a delayed arrival into Victoria.

This must be why she will be out of service for a few weeks once she gets down to Australia. I remember reading a thread here a few months ago about a woman who had her cruise from Sydney to New Zealand cancelled and the new dates that were offered didn't suit her schedule.

This must be why she will be out of service for a few weeks once she gets down to Australia. I remember reading a thread here a few months ago about a woman who had her cruise from Sydney to New Zealand cancelled and the new dates that were offered didn't suit her schedule.

Does anyone know when the dry dock is scheduled?

Does anyone know when the dry dock is scheduled?

I believe it is from December 5th till December21st, but I cannot seem to get my hands on an updated schedule from HAL that actually shows this but there is no sailing that starts Dec 5th when the Nov 21st sailing ends.

It was calm + very beautiful here last night. So it must have been a mechanical problem. We were walking around the inner harbour and went over to Ogden Point to watch her dock about 9:45PM and passengers still had to get off the ship yet. What a shame the passengers missed out on the most beautiful port! She left at 11:59PM! That's terrible!

I believe it is from December 5th till December21st, but I cannot seem to get my hands on an updated schedule from HAL that actually shows this but there is no sailing that starts Dec 5th when the Nov 21st sailing ends.

Close Ma'am! 05-15 Dec 12 at Thales Australia, Garden Island, Sydney, NSW

Let me pose a hypothetical question to those who seem to know more about this sort of thing than I do. If you were already booked and fully paid to sail on any of the two or three cruises before drydock, particularly the long trans-Pacific cruise starting Sept. 30, would you be worried?

Let me pose a hypothetical question to those who seem to know more about this sort of thing than I do. If you were already booked and fully paid to sail on any of the two or three cruises before drydock, particularly the long trans-Pacific cruise starting Sept. 30, would you be worried?

Worried about what? :confused:

Nothing to worry about!

I was on The Oosterdam for this cruise. departed Ketchikan 10 mins late, also where told of strong winds (did not feel it). Also I beleive the the ship was running on one screw( prop)

I think that is what posters were wondering about. Is running on one screw and the reported resulting vibrations anything to worry about whether you are crossing the Pacific or maneuvering the Alaskan inlets?

It's not hypothetical to me. I'm booked on the cruise that ends on December 5. I'm not worried at all. Distances between ports in New Zealand are not great so I'm not concerned about missing out on time in port. The long stretches between Australia and NZ are two sea days each, which I am confident allow us plenty of time to get where we're going.

To be on the safe side, we booked a cabin forward of midships to avoid any vibration which we understand is felt more in aft part of the ship.

They canceled all of the shore excursions, but had free shuttles to town (big deal...)had to back onboard at 2330.

I agree. HAL is disappointing travelers that paid for a full 4-stop cruise, frustrated vendors and providers in Victoria, and overall not delivered what travelers paid for. Why not skip Victoria entirely, keep passports at home, and leave more time in Ketchikan?? Sell it as a true 3-stop cruise and have everyone walk away happy rather than end a wonderful cruise with frustration? Management is asleep at the helm!:o

Dh and I had similar situation two years ago. Coming into Victoria it was quite windy (often, I guess) and it delayed us a bit. We were still able to take our tour to Butchart Gardens, but it was pretty dark by the time we got there. It was a little disappointing, but we made the most of it. We live in the Seattle area and have been to Victoria several times. We did, however, feel badly for cruisers that had never been there before and would probably not make it back for quite a while, if ever. This was Oosterdam, also.

Archived