First Cruise Coming Up In April 2013

JYD Hawkeye

The wife and I will be taking our first cruise next year on Royal Caribbean Mariner of the Seas out of Galveston going to Western ports in Jamaica, Mexico, and Grand Cayman. We traded thru our timeshare exchange company for this cruise. Got a small break in the price and the other couple going with us got a better deal than we did. Go figure ?? Really looking forward to the cruise. Anything anyone could tell me that would help would be greatly appreciated. Been "cruising" the internet for info and buying Fodors guides. Wife is disabled and we will be taking the electric scooter and the folding wheelchair. Hope she is able to get off at all the ports that use tenders. Splurged on the Accessable Balcony Stateroom mid-ships. We are right off the Promenade. Anyone else here going on this cruise ? Maybe we will bump into you.

Have you joined the roll call for your cruise? That is where you will find other CC members on the same cruise. Go back to the main boards page, scroll down to ROLL CALLS, click on Royal Caribbean, then click on Mariner of the Seas, then look for a thread with the dates for your sailing.

There is also a board here for Disabled Cruising, under Special Interest Cruising. You might ask about HC accessibility in the ports there. EM

Congratulations on your first cruise and welcome to Cruise Critic.

The only problem you might encounter with your wife is Grand Cayman. It is a 'tender' port which means there is no dock for the ship to tie up at. They will use smaller harbor boats or the life boats to ferry passengers to the port. The decision whether or not to allow disabled passengers who are totally dependent on a scooter or electric wheelchair lies with the captain and is based on safety concerns.

The wife and I will be taking our first cruise next year on Royal Caribbean Mariner of the Seas out of Galveston going to Western ports in Jamaica, Mexico, and Grand Cayman. We traded thru our timeshare exchange company for this cruise. Got a small break in the price and the other couple going with us got a better deal than we did. Go figure ?? Really looking forward to the cruise. Anything anyone could tell me that would help would be greatly appreciated. Been "cruising" the internet for info and buying Fodors guides. Wife is disabled and we will be taking the electric scooter and the folding wheelchair. Hope she is able to get off at all the ports that use tenders. Splurged on the Accessable Balcony Stateroom mid-ships. We are right off the Promenade. Anyone else here going on this cruise ? Maybe we will bump into you.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

You are going to be hooked once you complete your first cruise.

You may want to check this out on the RCI board -- but I think that they use the Grand Cayman tenders which are larger than the lifeboats on your ship.

Archived