inside midship stateroom vs. oceanview guarantee

We are scheduled to go on the 9/10 4-night monarch cruise out of Port Canaveral. We had booked an interior stateroom a few months ago, hoping prices would drop as it got closer so we could upgrade to an oceanview stateroom.

Well prices dropped significantly- but only for an oceanview guarantee. I've never done this before so I figured I'd put it out here to get your opinions on this. I called C&A and got some answers from them too.

They did tell me that once your room is assigned (and she said you could call a few days prior to the cruise if you still haven't received a email with your assigned room) if that room is forward or aft, you can switch to a midship room WITHIN that category you are assigned if there is availability. Has anyone successfully done that?

I'm not picky at all about where we are at on the ship really, but I would like to try to get midship, mainly for my parents who are coming with us since this is their first cruise and I'm not sure how my mom will handle the seas, especially if there is some rough weather which seems pretty likely at this point.

So I'm trying to decide should we stick with our midship low deck 2 interior stateroom for best hope for a comfortable ride, or take a chance and get some natural light. :)

Thoughts are much appreciated!!! Thanks everyone!

I would recommend an OV guarantee over any interior. Some have an interior on a high deck and don’t want to take a chance of getting a lower deck. The particular deck often makes no difference to me

You will likely get a cabin on deck 2. If the particular cabin is not convenient, you MAY be able to call and get another cabin in that category (if one is available) . A few weeks ago RCCL told me they would not change my guarantee to another in the category. I hung up, called back, got a different operator who gladly changed the cabin.

The OV and inside cabins are just about the same until you get to deck 9 (which are larger).

good luck

M

We had midship oceanview deck 2 and rebooked it again for our cruise next summer. Found having a oceanview window helps for any feeling of seasickness - apparently looking at the horizon can help when you are feeling sick from the motion.

It isn't always easy to get up on deck when you don't feel well. The location worked out great, one night a little rocking and rolling but it helped put us to sleep! :) We never felt that front to back pitching, just a little rocking. Hope this helps, happy cruising! :D

Your seas could very well be calm 2 weeks from now....but, yes...you can change location within your assigned catagory, if something is available.

On Monarch, you're going to feel the motion, pretty much anywhere on the ship, unless it's really smooth.....

If someone is prone to motion sickness, there are many medications that can help A LOT!

Since this is your parents first cruise and you don't know how they'll do with the motion, personally I'd stick with the inside. I really prefer an oceanview, but my husband suffers from motion sickness and we've found that there is a really big difference in how he feels when we are mid-ship.

RCCL is generally really good about allowing you to change cabins within a category if you book a guarantee... In fact I just did that this morning. The thing is though, there has to be a better cabin available. When you book a guarantee, you could get an assignment immediately, or anytime up to sailing. It's very likely that by the time you get your assignment any mid-ship cabins will be gone.

I actually wouldn't pay a penny extra for an ocean view, especially if you like your current room location. The views are not much to be excited over.

If it was a Balcony guarantee, I would say go for it. You and your parents would find that special.

Speaking of parents, are your rooms currently near each other? If you change to guarantees, you probably won't end up near each other.

Thank you everyone for all the feedback. We decided to take the "plunge" and went for the OV guarantee!

To clarify- this didn't cost us any extra! :)

When we are assigned a room, will we be notified? Or will it just show up in our online cruise check-in info?

Thank you everyone for all the feedback. We decided to take the "plunge" and went for the OV guarantee!

To clarify- this didn't cost us any extra! :)

When we are assigned a room, will we be notified? Or will it just show up in our online cruise check-in info?

You can log in and look at your "My Cruises" on RCCL's website it will show you if it is still a guarantee or a room number. I can't remember if I got an email when they assigned my room or if I just looked it up on the site, and yes I was able to change my originally assigned room. Have fun.

I went on yesterday and they had already assigned me!! My parents and I were actually right next to each other on deck 5, forward. I called and there were plenty of midship rooms available so we are now in rooms 5556 and 5562- two rooms apart. I'm pretty excited, I think it worked out perfect!!! I didn't want to be too high up but it'll be cool to be on a deck that has some of the lounges and stuff right there- last cruise we were deck 2 so I'm used to having to walk a lot of stairs to get up to the promenade and stuff.

Any input on these two rooms/location?

Now if only the seas would calm down a little bit, I'm getting a little worried about the area of 90% chance of cyclone formation behind Kirk! lol. Oh well, it is what it is! :)

Archived