First Time with Silver Seas. Anys do's or don'ts

Throast

I like your recipe for serenity--but I dont know where to buy Cachacha. Is it now sold in US? My state just went to selling liquor in grocery stores etc and the variety is less than when it was State run and I dont see that liquor sold. ON-line?

I live in IL and pretty much all liquor stores carry various brands cachaça. What state are you in? (and if you say "inebriation" I'll slap you!):D

What state are you in? (and if you say "inebriation" I'll slap you!):D

That made me giggle !!

but back on topic ... Throast, make sure you go to afternoon tea in the lounge, scones, jam and clotted cream .... YUM

And on our last cruise on the Wind, we had a fellow in a kilt on formal night - very dapper :)

Just a suggestion -- if you ask your butler to make the reservations in the specialty restaurant T's, he or she might not get exactly what you want since he or she would most likely wait till the end of the day to do it. They are very busy on turn around day. We have always gone to the maitre'd of each restaurant to make reservations ourselves. This has two advantages -- we get to introduce ourselves to the maitre D's and if a certain time slot is not available, we can see what else is available.

That made me giggle !!

but back on topic ... Throast, make sure you go to afternoon tea in the lounge, scones, jam and clotted cream .... YUM

And on our last cruise on the Wind, we had a fellow in a kilt on formal night - very dapper :)

I have to agree about the Afternoon Tea ..best two cruiselines are Seabourn and Silverseas...yummm clotted cream with strawberry jam on a scone.

I do agree with Embtsam that it's best to make your own reservations. Visiting the venues yourself will save going back-and-forth with the butler if your preference isn't available. And I'm not sure, but they may display the changing menus for the whole cruise, which might affect your choice of dates.

Oh, and if you can let go and trust someone you've never met before to know what you want, (the Butler!) have him/her unpack and pack for you. I find it a delight to toodle around the ship and come back to my stateroom and find my clothing in the closet and my suitcases missing.

On departure I also like the Butler to pack because it's SOOOOO depressing to do that for yourself!

You might also go to reception the first day or so to make sure any on board credit has been posted to your account. We found out 2 weeks in that that message hadn't been communicated, and as it was a weekend, it was a little difficult straightening out our account. Fortunately, I had documentation on Silversea letterhead of the credit and the head of guest relations was able to correct our account before Monday's disembarkation.

I second the motion that you confirm your onboard credits with the reception desk early on. We also experienced a miscommunication about that last year. It wasn't a problem, but it was also a weekend, so it took a day or so to get cleared. And, yes, it's a good idea to bring your Silversea confirmation form, with that kind of information already printed out, just in case you need it.

The bon voyage package you've read about refers to the pre-cruise documentation Silversea sends to you or your travel agent. It comes in a nice silver box and contains a leatherette portfolio that contains the cruise ticket, a cruise information booklet, insurance information if you purchased it, leatherette luggage tags, and the color-coded ID tags you'll affix to your luggage prior to boarding. It sounds like you haven't received it yet, so please contact your travel agent or Silversea right away - you can't board without your cruise ticket in hand.

I know I said this before, but much as we all love to ask and answer questions on these boards, the cruise booklet contains pretty much all the information you'll need, and reviewing it will save a lot of time, trouble, and stress.

Oh, and if you can let go and trust someone you've never met before to know what you want, (the Butler!) have him/her unpack and pack for you. I find it a delight to toodle around the ship and come back to my stateroom and find my clothing in the closet and my suitcases missing.

On departure I also like the Butler to pack because it's SOOOOO depressing to do that for yourself!

Having never had a butler before, i do not know exactly what to expect. Do many passengers have the butler pack and unpack their luggage? I assume most people have their own methods of where to store their clothing in the cabin. Do you have any trouble finding where the butler has put your things? Also how do you let him know which items you will need for a post cruise stay and what you will not need?

I feel the same way about having the butler unpack/pack, Dmgmd50. If I were invited to spend a weekEND at Downton Abbey, I could understand that the valet or lady's maid would unpack, because they also lay out each day's outfits. I think I'd find the arrangement confusing on Silversea, having to find everything myself. (And I'm not exactly boarding with several huge steamer trunks.. )

But it's a service that Silversea certainly promotes and I'm sure people avail themselves of it. Your choice probably has more to do with your own comfort level and storage preferences. The butlers might have a fairly standardized system, so you could inquire - "where do you usually put the shirts, the toiletries?" and so on. That could give you an idea of whether it fits with your travel style. I'd love to see how this service has worked for others.

Having never had a butler before, i do not know exactly what to expect. Do many passengers have the butler pack and unpack their luggage? I assume most people have their own methods of where to store their clothing in the cabin. Do you have any trouble finding where the butler has put your things? Also how do you let him know which items you will need for a post cruise stay and what you will not need?

I've never had a problem locating anything. Pretty much everything is in the closet, either hanging or in a drawer and toiletries are arranged in the bathroom and with the closet's size you're not looking at trying to figure out a large parcel of real estate.

If I'm not going directly home after the cruise and need some sort of clothing segregation I just tell the butler what goes where. ("Everything on the left of the closet goes in the suitcases, everything on the right plus toiletries in the carry-on bag, everything on the couch doesn't get packed as I'll be wearing tomorrow.") It's not too much of a challenge. More often than not it's worked out fine. As I said previously, I find packing at the end of the cruise VERY depressing so am glad to have it done for me.

CASHIPman, your tip is making this sound like a very attractive option.

Dmgmd50, if you need more feedback on this question, you might want to start a new thread specifically on butlers and unpacking, so more people see your question and can respond.

Dmgmd50, if you need more feedback on this question, you might want to start a new thread specifically on butlers and unpacking, so more people see your question and can respond.

Actually that is a good idea. I went to search and found this thread about butlers and unpacking.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1264261

Throast,

The kilt. This will be a great hit with our North American Cousins and will attract a bit of extra attention to you. Enjoy it.

Any chance you also play the bagpipes, you know just to annoy the sassenachs?

Which clan tartan do you wear?

Rocchi

You know how to take of yourself Craig.... live well....avoid stress....keep on cruisin'...... ;)

This coming from an expert, the lovely lady I'd see lounging quite comfortably in the shade on the pool deck! :D Life's too short! Hope to see you again!

Archived