First Time with Silver Seas. Anys do's or don'ts

Throast

:confused:Hi, we're doing our first cruise with Silver Seas on the 24th of this month, any do's or don'ts also can anyone advise about tipping. (I know tipping is personal but any guide lines would be appreciated):)

There is no tipping on Silversea. None is expected by the crew. Those who insist on tipping create a bad situation. However, there is a crew fund which goes towards activities for all crew members not just those who are visible. We always make a contribution to the crew fund and receive a very nice thank you note from the HD as well as thank yous from a number of crew members. One way you can "tip" a crew member is to mention him or her in the customer satisfaction survey. For extraordinary service, you can write a note to the HD.

:confused:Hi, we're doing our first cruise with Silver Seas on the 24th of this month, any do's or don'ts also can anyone advise about tipping. (I know tipping is personal but any guide lines would be appreciated):)

Don't spell the name wrong

It's Silversea :)

Welcome to Cruise Critic and the Silversea board Throast!

Absolutely agree with Victoria/Embtsam no tipping necessary, you can generously donate to the crew fund. Silversea will automatically deduct from your account for the Silversea Owner's fav (Maruzza Foundation) charity. If you care not to donate--you can opt out during your voyage.

No worries about John's/Mr. Luxury's grammar lesson, took me a while to write just Silversea too.

Have a terrific first Silversea Spirit cruise. Suggestions:

--Immediately after check in (getting your suite card, quaffing y'alls champagne) would head to La Terraza (Italian Specialty restaurant), Seishin (Asian specialty restaurant), Le Champagne , and finally Hot Rocks and speak to the Maitre'D's of each restaurant for the night your would like to reserve. These restaurants have a tendency to book up shortly after embarkation--thus the sooner the book the better your chances of getting a reservation for the night you would like.

--if you are not touring in your embarkation city, suggest you board about noon, you could check in, make specialty restaurant rsvns then enjoy a leisurely lunch.

--Make friends with the Panorama bar tender soonest and let him/her know y'alls drink preferences (e.g., we like our martini's w/blue cheese stuffed olives) from that night on, they will ensure your drink is ready when they see you enter the Panorama.

--Do you have any special dishes you would like to order (e.g., Steak Diane, Dover Sole, Mushroom/Leek Pie, Crepe Suzzettes) just give The Restaurant Maitre'D 24 hours notice. Our experience consistently shows that the Silversea dining team excels when you make a special order.

--If you like to take a sauna or steam bath, you can enjoy a complimentary sauna or steam bath at the ship's Spa.

--The veranda outside La Veranda is a wonderful place to enjoy a morning cup of joe, or an adult beverage or two.

--Tho your itinerary is port intensive, if you have time to relax in a lounge..back of deck eight is not well known and a perfect place to

watch the sea, port, read, or catch a nap.

--If you have time, the Observation Lounge (fwd) deck 11 is also a nice place for a morning coffee or pre dinner drink in a more subdued atmosphere than the Panorama Lounge. Also, during sail in to special ports, you can take the outside stairwell out of the observation lounge to a viewing area on Deck 12--may be windy tho.

--In La Terrazza, our fav dishes at dinner are the Pappardelle w/Duck Ragu, nine course special appetizer and at lunch we enjoy the

daily sushi selections w/wasabi.

--Finally, since you do have a port intensive itineary with 8 a.m., arrival times except for your overnite in Venice, you may consider ordering room service for breakfast the night before your port stop vs the hustle and bustle of La Veranda at breakfast. Another option

after 6:30a.m., for breakfast is the Panorama Lounge where you can get fresh fruit, pastries and warm coffee. I love having my first morning cappuccino here followed by a light fruit plate. Once the SS crewmember who waits on you recognizes you the following morning, you can also expect intuitive service here.

Absolutely agree about tipping. Also, watch your account to see if they are adding a daily(?) charge for their charity. Assume they are still doing this. Since many of us prefer to be asked if we would like to donate rather than having it automatically charged, we go to Reception and politely ask that they remove the charges.

You will have a wonderful time on Silversea. It is a great experience:)

I'd like to add 3 suggestions. We all pay handsome per-day rates to cruise on Silversea and, even on a port-intensive cruise, I recommend carving some time out simply to enjoy the ship during the daytime. It's what we're paying for. Mornings and early afternoons are very quiet, with everyone else off the ship. It's an excellent time to unwind and allow the staff to pamper you with superb service.

We often ask the Maitre d' to seat us at a table he's assembling, with other diners. It's a wonderful way to meet fellow passengers. These are usually tables of 4 or 6, and the other diners are as interested in meeting you as you are in meeting them. You can do this in the Terrace Cafe at breakfast or lunch, and in the Restaurant at dinner. It's always a great experience.

If you need anything, anything at all, please don't hesitate to let the staff know, whether it's more hangers, a different pillow, a different entree or a second dessert. They really do want you to be happy.

Bon voyage, and I hope you enjoy your first Silversea experience.

I just wanted to post to mainly wish you a wonderful cruise.

We sailed with Silversea in 2009 and we read through the final documents as well as the web site to help us prepare for the cruise. We booked the specialty restaurant as soon as we got on the ship since we had heard that at times getting a reservation might be difficult and we used the information on the web site and in the final documents to finalize our clothing list.

Enjoy the cruise.

Keith

Keith is right. Most of the questions you'll have are answered very clearly on Silversea's website and in the pre-cruise booklet (you should have received it by now): boarding time; daytime clothing suggestions; number of formal, informal, casual nights (and the definition for each); dining options; excursion info, etc. Since this is your first time on Silversea, read the whole booklet. You'll feel so smart when you're done!

Absolutely agree about tipping. Also, watch your account to see if they are adding a daily(?) charge for their charity. Assume they are still doing this. Since many of us prefer to be asked if we would like to donate rather than having it automatically charged, we go to Reception and politely ask that they remove the charges.

You will have a wonderful time on Silversea. It is a great experience:)

This is a biggie. I finally had to go to AMEX to get it removed from my bill. They said they would take if off, but they did not. Frankly I think it is a tax scam.......I know this has been addressed many times, but be sure to watch your bill.

I will refrain from any other comments.

This is a biggie. I finally had to go to AMEX to get it removed from my bill. They said they would take if off, but they did not. Frankly I think it is a tax scam.......I know this has been addressed many times, but be sure to watch your bill.

I will refrain from any other comments.

Wow, still can't believe that Silverseas is still applying that "charity" charge to people's accounts.

Wow, still can't believe that Silverseas is still applying that "charity" charge to people's accounts.

On explorer in June, they were very upfront about it, and encouraged people who didn't want to donate to make sure it was taken off. I got the impression that the management on that ship didn't like that it was automatically charged.

On explorer in June, they were very upfront about it, and encouraged people who didn't want to donate to make sure it was taken off. I got the impression that the management on that ship didn't like that it was automatically charged.

I can't understand for the likes of me why they are still automatically adding this to everyones account?:confused:

Yes, but don't make a big deal of it. Just go to Reception, smile, and tell them to remove you from the automatic donation. They will happily do it, end of problem. Enjoy your cruise without angoing angst.

You have to admit it's annoying to have to do something that shouldn't be there in the first place.

You have to admit it's annoying to have to do something that shouldn't be there in the first place.

ADVICE FROM NOT A DOORMAT:

It is what it is -- acceptance -- the key to serenity -- just follow Wellseasoned's advice and be done with it.:)

I like your recipe for serenity--but I dont know where to buy Cachacha. Is it now sold in US? My state just went to selling liquor in grocery stores etc and the variety is less than when it was State run and I dont see that liquor sold. ON-line?

Many thanks to all for the advise, No tipping??? well when in Rome...

Mr Luxury, sorry my spelling has always been suspecticon7.gif

Colonel Wes and Seafarer.. Thanks for the indepth replies, (not had the precruise booklet as yet)

Keith, Travelcat and Silver Spectre, thanks for your welcome and good wishes

Can I ask a couple of follow ups;

On the formal nights is dress kilt in order?

Can we book the Restaurants with our butler or do we need to see the Maitre'D

Lastly... Not a good one.. I like a cigar with my whisky.. but I would hate to give anyone second hand smoke.. where is smoking allowable, and more important, where is it alowable that won't bother other travellers?

Many Thanks in advance

Throast

Throast, if your cruise is on Sept. 24th, the pre-cruise documents should have been sent out already. I suggest asking your travel agent to follow up on this. In addition to the fact-filled cruise booklet, the package includes luggage tags, insurance information (if you purchased it), and the cruise ticket, which you must present upon boarding.

A dress kilt on formal night will be magnificent and appropriate. Wish I could see you.

Thank you for your considerate question regarding cigars. Indoors, you can enjoy your cigar and whiskey in the specially-designed Connoisseur's Corner. Outdoors, there are designated areas for cigars and pipes on Decks 9 and 10. Smoking is not permitted in the cabins or on the private verandas (a safety precaution).

And, yes, your butler will take care of your specialty-restaurant reservations You'll have the best choices if you do this on the first day. The butler can handle whatever you need, and will always do so with a smile.

I hope you have a wonderful cruise.

Since you also questioned the no-tipping policy, I thought I'd respond to that, too. In their General Information, Silversea clearly states that "all hotel service gratuities are included in your cruise fare." There is no necessity to tip anyone while on board, and it's not expected. Silversea pays its staff higher than the going rate, both to retain good employees and to compensate for lack of tips.

That said, some passengers do elect to discreetly tip the butler and his assistant at the end of a cruise for exceptional or personalized service. It's certainly not expected, but if you wish to provide a gratuity, you may do so. However, from what I've seen, Silversea passengers don't normally tip other staff, such as bartenders, Maitre d', waiters, etc.

Archived