First Cruise with an Infant!

apwog1985

Hello everyone. Well, I have been on a few cruises and believe myself to be pretty decent at it, however this will be my very first cruise with an infant! I know some basic info, like most excursions have an age limit which will mean he'll have to stay in the nursery, however I don't know everything. Any advise from "Been there done that moms" or even dads?

I've got 2 recommendations:

1. check out the family board: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49 You'll find a wealth of information and will get better answers regarding the specifics of cruising with an infant.

2. duck! If you plan to leave your infant in the nursery while you take excursions, you're about to take some heat.

Since children have to be AT LEAST 6 months to cruise, you have a baby or toddler...not an "infant"...big difference!

Check out the "Family Cruising" board...lots of kid specific info there!

It's no different than at home....bring what you need (baby specific stuff....diapers, wipes, creams, powders, etc....) because the ship has nothing for babies. Entertain your child as you would at home. This will be a FAMILY cruise...not a romantic couples "get-a-way"!

Hello everyone. Well, I have been on a few cruises and believe myself to be pretty decent at it, however this will be my very first cruise with an infant! I know some basic info, like most excursions have an age limit which will mean he'll have to stay in the nursery, however I don't know everything. Any advise from "Been there done that moms" or even dads?

Jewel does not have a nursery. It is not being revitalized until 2016.

Thank you all so much! I ad no idea there was a family travel board!! See I am really new at this. Sorry also that I called him an infant. Where I come from they are considered infant until te can walk. Ooops!

Don't listen to cb at sea.

"Infant" actually means "non-speaking". If your baby doesn't speak, s/he is an infant.

:D

(and your assumption that until s/he walks, s/he is an infant, is also valid)

:D :D

"Infant" actually means "non-speaking". If your baby doesn't speak, s/he is an infant.

Sometimes "infant" can be used as a reference regardless of age or ability to speak or walk :D:D

FYI but not to be condicending :

Actually legally a child is an infant until the age of majority, generally considered 18 years old.

A lot of children and teens act like infants especially when let loose on a cruise ship.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Actually legally a child is an infant until the age of majority, generally considered 18 years old.

A lot of children and teens act like infants especially when let loose on a cruise ship.

Age sometimes has "nothing" to do with the behavior of other's regardless of location ;):D

Sometimes "infant" can be used as a reference regardless of age or ability to speak or walk :D:D

I would never accuse you of being condescending, oneputt.

And I was speaking etymologically. That is the reason that I wrote "means".

infans, infantis (present active participle) = not speaking, not capable of speech

:)

Take a baby back carrier = he can go everywhere in it with you, much easier than a stroller!

Strollers can not be stored in the hall or on the balcony = we used the bathtub = use as light a one as possible, and label it well with your name home number room number etc = they have a tendancy to disapear, but staff usually can find them again.

From day one, establish a food area in your room for snacks, cherrios, milk, juice, bananas - sippy cups etc, bring cutlery & food from the buffet, but hide it or your helpful room staff will take it away! One clean drawer works, line it with a small hand towel! We used hot sink water in a bowl to warm milk bottles - past the age of needing them heated, just took off the chill.

If you have the same server at meal times, they will bring you finger food to start - watermellon, juice (bring your own sippy cup there too)

Plan a meal or two with him in the nursery to give yourselves a break. Dinner can be too long for them to sit without being grumpy.

We would order, then one of us would go for a walk and usually appetizers were there when we returned!

You will probably only be allowed at 1st sitting.

Take a baby back carrier = he can go everywhere in it with you, much easier than a stroller!

Strollers can not be stored in the hall or on the balcony = we used the bathtub = use as light a one as possible, and label it well with your name home number room number etc = they have a tendancy to disapear, but staff usually can find them again.

From day one, establish a food area in your room for snacks, cherrios, milk, juice, bananas - sippy cups etc, bring cutlery & food from the buffet, but hide it or your helpful room staff will take it away! One clean drawer works, line it with a small hand towel! We used hot sink water in a bowl to warm milk bottles - past the age of needing them heated, just took off the chill.

If you have the same server at meal times, they will bring you finger food to start - watermellon, juice (bring your own sippy cup there too)

Plan a meal or two with him in the nursery to give yourselves a break. Dinner can be too long for them to sit without being grumpy.

We would order, then one of us would go for a walk and usually appetizers were there when we returned!

You will probably only be allowed at 1st sitting.

These are all very good suggestions but the 1st seating only is incorrect. We have cruised before on RCCL and had 2nd seating with 1 child, 1 toddler and 1 infant. We just made sure to feed the kids beforehand. Most nights the two younger ones were asleep in their strollers before dinner even started...and slept through the whole thing. I don't think we had to leave the dining room at all because of any meltdowns. Hopefully our cruise in November will be just as smooth during dinner.

Happy Travels!

Guys, oh my goodness! Please. OP asked a legitimate question and this thread has been hijacked for bashing and semantics. *big sigh*

Karen, I don't see any of this as bashing.

The OP has been directed to the family board, which is the best and really only advice she needs.

I simply didn't want cb at sea's post to be what OP remembers about her question. :)

Well, I agree that the term infant is in reference to whether a child is able to speak or walk. I'm an R.N. and we refer to children up to one year of age as an infant.

I know this is unsolicited, but I just couldn't imagine leaving my very young child with 'stranger' employees on a cruise ship...especially if I were planning on leaving the ship for an excursion. Maybe it's just me, but I couldn't enjoy myself for worrying so much.

..I just couldn't imagine leaving my very young child with 'stranger' employees on a cruise ship...especially if I were planning on leaving the ship for an excursion.

Since there is no nursery, I assume OP is looking at in-room babysitting which can be very expensive. I'd actually take baby, if I was her, and just deal with it. Babies are portable. :)

Will the cruise line even allow a young child to be left in the nursery (or kids' club or whatever it's called depending on the cruise line and the age of the child), while the parents are off the ship? I'd think at least one parent would have to be on board in case there was a problem.

It's been a while (my baby is at NYU now), but I would look into doing your own excursions. Maybe rent a car or private cab. Car safety will be a concern though. It depends on your ports though in order to recommend one in particular.

The private beach getaway like the one in Labadee comes to mind. Short boat ride over and a nice quiet beach with little waves if any. Not sure if there's an age limit with that one.

My son was 8 months old on our April cruise on the Allure. You can read my review in my signature if you'd like! If you are going to take the child then my advice would be to center it as a family vacation and not a couple's vacation. The nursery is helpful but you have to anticipate (what if the child doesnt like it or has too much fun/doesnt get a good nap and has a fussy night). Make plans but dont be upset when they dont work out exactly like you wish! You may miss shows, time at the bars, peaceful formal night dinners, but you will have memories that last forever! We took our son on all of our excursions at all 3 ports (thankfully we had 3 extra sets of hands along with us! As much as I love dressing up and going to all the different options for dinner, I wish some nights that I would have just grabbed a burger and sat by the pool when the crowds were at dinner! Hope this helps a little. The family boards were really helpful for us too!

Ok so let me clear this up... I will not be using the nusery (they dont even have one hehehe) but anyways, We are only doing excursions he can go with. There is one that he can't and my mom will be staying back with him. So anyways, this will be a full "Family Vacation" as many have said and we plan on using it as such.

I guess this will just be a learn as I go experience. Never done a cruise with a baby, but I am sure we can figure it out!

We used babysitting on Explorer however it was pricey - $19 per hour - they send 2 sitters and they were excellent. Not sure if there is a required about of hours. If your interested, go to guest relations as soon as you board and inquire. I do not believe there was a penalty for cancelling. However, if you are gone for say 1 1/2 hours - you are charged for 2.

We also had an inflatable baby tub which I believe you can get at target/babies r us for probably around $10. It was great to use to bath the baby in the shower stall and fit well. Its small.

No bashing please, we also brough it up on deck, it fit between our loungers and was out of the way - since baby can't go in the pool, it helped entertain and keep cool.

Archived