Elite Hours

grammyandpoppy

WOW! Bula. Take a chill pill. You are overreacting. Your jealousy is showing. A nice person asked a simple question and you are all over this cruiser with bitterness and nastiness. Good grief! Cruisers like to talk to other cruisers. It's fun and we learn a lot from them. Believe me, we are not all filthy rich. I'm 71 and still work parttime to pay for my cruises. The Elite lounges are a way for Celebrity to show appreciation for loyalty. Now......go away please.

Leaving a recent cruise, there were several first class seats and Economy Plus seats available on the plane. Passengers were chosen to get free upgrades to the most comfortable seating. Who were they? The most frequent flyers, who were being upgraded for their loyalty.

At the rental car desk, frequent customers had their own check-in line, skipping the long lines the other customers stood in. Loyalty was rewarded here as well.

Just sayin'..........

WOW! Bula. Take a chill pill. You are overreacting. Your jealousy is showing. A nice person asked a simple question and you are all over this cruiser with bitterness and nastiness. Good grief! Cruisers like to talk to other cruisers. It's fun and we learn a lot from them. Believe me, we are not all filthy rich. I'm 71 and still work parttime to pay for my cruises. The Elite lounges are a way for Celebrity to show appreciation for loyalty. Now......go away please.
Best post I have read,thank you.;)

Interesting thread to say the least.

I am Elite - don't brag about it but not afraid to bring it up if it is pertinent to the discussion. I do confess to hating posters who have to list all their many cruises but that is more a point of making reading the pages so looooong instead of giving a darn one way or another how many cruises they have taken (my personal pet peeve is when someone posts multiple pictures and then people responding re-post the same pictures over and over and over - and I am not referencing the one picture on this post BTW:)).

There was a comment made about closing the Sky Lounge. My experience has been that only one side is closed for the Elite party - perhaps others have been on cruises where the numbers were so large they needed to close the whole thing? Just wondering.

Yes, sometimes the numbers of Elites on board are so large that the entire Sky Lounge must be used to handle them all. Transatlantics often get 800+ Elites.

Sometimes the numbers are such that only one side of the Sky Lounge is roped off for the Elite cocktail hour participants.

On the other hand, sometimes there are so few that Michael's Club is used for the evening cocktails. This was the original plan, prior to adding all the new Elite level crossover Royal Diamond members who began to cruise on Celebrity, adding to the numbers of Elites dramatically. You often see reference to the cocktails in Michael's Club, even when other venues are actually used.

I often wonder why they restrict the Elite hour to one bar. Why not just allow them to get any of the drinks allowed drinks at any of the bars during that time. ...

Tom

My understanding is the cocktails are not to be brought with you when you leave the Elite venue. I really doubt the bar tenders in the regular bars would be able to "police" the Elite passengers and prevent them from taking their cocktails when they leave.

Who seem to complain continually that the session only lasts for two hours.......................

And I've suggested to staff on board that the time change on westbound Transatlantics take place at 6pm rather than 2am in order to properly celebrate a 25 hour day. ;)

That request would not apply to Eastbound sailings however..

Hope you all have the pleasure of meeting Donnette the CC hostess we met on the Silhouette. I understand she is on another ship right now but we enjoyed her out going personality and that she could recall everyones name was amazing!

And I've suggested to staff on board that the time change on westbound Transatlantics take place at 6pm rather than 2am in order to properly celebrate a 25 hour day. ;)

That request would not apply to Eastbound sailings however..

Now that's a great idea!! :D

Hope you all have the pleasure of meeting Donnette the CC hostess we met on the Silhouette. I understand she is on another ship right now but we enjoyed her out going personality and that she could recall everyones name was amazing!

She is very nice. On Solstice August 3rd. Hope to see her again.

My understanding is the cocktails are not to be brought with you when you leave the Elite venue. I really doubt the bar tenders in the regular bars would be able to "police" the Elite passengers and prevent them from taking their cocktails when they leave.

They could glue the glasses down to the tables :)

If this was implemented as an "elite plus" benefit, then it would matter less. I can't see Celebrity implementing "drink anywhere" for those who are just "elite".

Donette is on Solstice till the end of the month when Melissa Snow will take over for the Australian season..

I have rarely met any host(ess) that has not been an asset to Celebrity. I think they have the toughest job on board. Just imagine putting up with some of the posters who like nothing better than to upset or insult their fellow cruise critic members.

I found a wonderful piece of advice yesterday:

Don’t argue with idiots because they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. —Greg King

They could glue the glasses down to the tables :)

If this was implemented as an "elite plus" benefit, then it would matter less. I can't see Celebrity implementing "drink anywhere" for those who are just "elite".

This has been debated before. One suggestion that pops up from time to time is to provide drink coupons for Elites that can be used during the Elite Hour to get drinks. Of, course some like the idea, some hate it. Right now the policy is the policy so just enjoy it.

Honestly, I'd rather get a complimentary drink and skip the socializing. Visiting with passengers is an option anytime we're on the ship. Breakfast and lunch are better times for me to gab.

Just curious, why do cruisers want to visit with the Captain's Club Hostess, the Officers, the Captain, or more experienced cruisers?

Just curious, why do cruisers want to visit with the Captain's Club Hostess, the Officers, the Captain, or more experienced cruisers?

Guess that some just want to have an interesting conversation with really nice people whether they be fellow passengers or staff.

Honestly, I'd rather get a complimentary drink and skip the socializing. Visiting with passengers is an option anytime we're on the ship. Breakfast and lunch are better times for me to gab.

We think that the opportunity to talk to people from different parts of the world, people that have already experienced other places greatly expands our understanding of the world and other cultures.

We have found that the mingling encouraged by the elite social gathering is the highlight of the cruise. We've been to most of the ports before but the journey itself is its own reward.

As James Michener stated:

“If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay at home.” – James Michener

For us a new experience and new people is always interesting and educational.Why wouldn't you want to?:confused:

Like wines, different ones for different taste. Some like a wine that's predictable, others variety samplings makes a more interesting social hour.

She is an incredible person all around. By the end of the cruise we felt like we'd been friends a really long time. She is a huge asset to any ship she works on.

Tom

Here's an example-- the CC host (Graeme) in the Baltic had much better info about walking around the ports than anyone else on board. The excursion staff are there to tell you about excursions, but don't know much else. He had actually been off the ship at each port and could share tips and tricks that made independent exploration much more time- and cost-effective than anyone else we consulted.

Here's another -- the Hotel Director stopped by our table while we were enjoying the Loyalty cocktail hour to ask if everything was ok in our staterooms. He remembered us from an earlier cruise and knew that we like the A/C turned very cold and he was checking to make sure we were comfortable. Nice to be remembered, nice to have personal service. We might have run into him in a passageway or somewhere but he was circulating through the frequent passengers getting his own face-to-face feedback on how his staff was doing on that cruise.

We will be on the Summit 11/12. We will be visiting a different island every day and leaving port at 5pm. so if elite happy hour is at 5-7pm- is there a dress code? I think we probably will still be in our day clothes- bathing suit and cover up and probably will do late dining. Do they serve mojitos at the cocktail party or is there a specific drink menu?:)

We will be on the Summit 11/12. We will be visiting a different island every day and leaving port at 5pm. so if elite happy hour is at 5-7pm- is there a dress code? I think we probably will still be in our day clothes- bathing suit and cover up and probably will do late dining. Do they serve mojitos at the cocktail party or is there a specific drink menu?:)

You will need to change into business casual to get into the happy hour. They are pretty strict about it. You may get by with a colored t-shirt, but shorts are a no-no.

is there a dress code?

Yes -- smart casual and above every night (including formal). No shorts, flip flops, beach wear, bathing suits/cover ups. Men will need long trousers and collared shirts. Women can probably wear a sundress but nothing extremely casual.

Do they serve mojitos at the cocktail party or is there a specific drink menu?

There is a specific drink menu. Mojitos are not on it.

There is drink menu, but there are a lot of choices and you can get some other things too. I drink gin and tonic (not far off from a mojito) and they are pretty good.

As others have mentioned, they are pretty picky about the dress code. The Captain is sometimes there and I think they want us to look good for him ;)

It's a lot of fun for those who get to participate. We typically go every night. We just come back an hour early to get ready.

Tom

Archived