Embarkation Day Lunch MDR

AAAAmerican

Live from California, USA at HQ Princess.Com

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::***:::::: ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

1st Day Dining

Shortly after we welcome you onboard your spectacular Princess ship, you're invited to relax and dine at the Horizon Court or in one of the ship’s multiple dining rooms.

Join us in one of our main dining rooms for lunch served up by a staff -- from chefs to waiters -- dedicated to making your dining experience something special.

Together, Princess' unique combination of gracious dining staff, fine continental cuisine and new friends make every meal onboard a memorable occasion.

I've heard ( as of last year ) that some ships play dumb and tell people the dining rooms are NOT open on embarkation day. Is that no longer true?:confused:

On my most recent two cruises in spring it was just the opposite...more openly publicized without the previous problems of being told it was for in-transit only. It has been in one of the AT dining rooms in the Atrium & recently has been a more limited menu but with better choices than a normal lunch & more like dinner selections. It's a great relaxing way to begin a cruise however remember it's generally only open from noon until 1:30 PM on embarkation day.

Edited by Astro Flyer

It's always whichever dining room is open for breakfast each day and for lunch on sea days. The last time we had difficulty getting past someone was several years ago on the Emerald Princess. Unfortunately on our most recent Sapphire Princess cruise, we did not board until late. We headed straight to the dining room, but it had closed. We ate at the International Cafe instead--which is a great alternative to fighting the crowds in the buffet on the first afternoon.

Dear ChrisB123/Tina and Darryl,

Yes they always try to make people go up to the Ship Lines...on the Lido.

Just say "make-way matey.. we know better.":D

I found the reason why they do this too.

Pure ignorace and bliss simply.

You know the Bon-Voyage Program ?

They have the Best Wait Staff in the MDR serving to show off and get bookings.. ;)

On B2B it is as well a great benefit to partake in and sets Princess ahead of the pack of Cruise lines again and again, IMHO.

I've heard ( as of last year ) that some ships play dumb and tell people the dining rooms are NOT open on embarkation day. Is that no longer true?:confused:

Having only eaten in the MDR for breakfast once I was wondering what the hours were. Our Alaska cruise starts with 2 sea days for glacier viewing so we will have lots of time for a leisurely breakfast. We have booked a balcony guarantee so no worry about snagging a deck chair for the best view.

Sue

Having only eaten in the MDR for breakfast once I was wondering what the hours were. Our Alaska cruise starts with 2 sea days for glacier viewing so we will have lots of time for a leisurely breakfast. We have booked a balcony guarantee so no worry about snagging a deck chair for the best view.

Sue

I don't know which ship you're sailing but if you click on this link then on the right side on the Princess page you can choose your ship to view the standard hours for dining options but check the Princess Patter daily for any changes.

http://www.princess.com/learn/onboard/food_dining/index.html

Edited by Astro Flyer

Our experience is that it is the dining room on deck 6. You must present yourself before 1:00 and be relatively forceful in order to be seated.

Was your problem recently? On the Sapphire in March & the Island in April we were cheerfully greeted for lunch unlike some other times in the past.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Our experience is that it is the dining room on deck 6. You must present yourself before 1:00 and be relatively forceful in order to be seated.

This summer on the Golden we definitely showed up after 1:00 but before 1:30. We only just set foot on the ship at 1:00, went to our cabin to drop our carry-ons, then went to the dining room. Probably 1:15 by the time we got there, and no problem getting in. In the past they have questioned whether I was sure we wanted to eat there, but they never told me we couldn't. We've done it 3 out of 4 trips (the other time we had a pre-honeymoon brunch with family right before boarding) and it is definitely the best way to start a cruise!

Having only eaten in the MDR for breakfast once I was wondering what the hours were. Our Alaska cruise starts with 2 sea days for glacier viewing so we will have lots of time for a leisurely breakfast.

This year on the Island the dining room breakfast hours those two days was 7:30 AM - 9:30 AM. Just need to be in the door by 9:30.

The head waiter will cheerfully seat everyone up to the point that the dining room begins to reach capacity of the wait staff and at that point will try nicely to divert people to the buffet unless they insist on being seated.

We find it to time consuming to eat lunch there on the first day since we're unpacking, checking out our table with the Maitre D', etc. which we like to have finished before early dinner.

We recently had a cruise on the Golden to Alaska. For the first time (thanks to these CC boards) I pursued having our embarkation lunch in the MDR. It took me talking to 4 different crew members to find out which dining room to go to. The first 2 crew told me that lunch was only on the Lido. We did get to our lunch in the MDR, and it was the best lunch we have had on embarkation day. So calm, quiet, and good too!! I would hope that the first crew members were just uninformed, but could they have been told not to give out the information? Anyway, my point is this: don't give up if they tell you to just go up to the Lido..... keep asking or request a copy of the Patters, which lists the dining room where they are serving lunch upon embarkation. Enjoy!!

When they announced embarkation lunch in the MDR a few years ago, we started going right away. They used to try to guide us to the buffet, but we always pushed forward and got in. I used to print out a copy of the memo from the Princess site and bring it with me. On more than one occasion, I was asked to show it. We always got in...and it's sooooo worth it.

Oh, each time the lunch was in the MDR on Deck 6

• 1 year later...
Any updates from Houston departures as to which MDR will serve lunch? Palm, Coral, Island? Thank you.

As the names run together in my head, I can only I only give you location-on the two Caribbean Princess cruises I was on in 2013, the embarkation lunch was in the mid-ship dining room on deck 6!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Any updates from Houston departures as to which MDR will serve lunch? Palm, Coral, Island? Thank you.

When we sailed on her in Nov. lunch was served in the Coral on deck 6.

We have always been graciously and happily greeted at the MDR on turn around and have never had to forcefully request to be seated.....

On the CB ( Caribbean Princess )

Which MDR is the Emarbarkation Lunch served?

On the Caribbean Princess, lunch is served from 12 to 1:30 in the Coral DR. Take Midship lifts to Deck 6. It's opposite the Passenger Services Desk so I go sign up for 'whatever' (Ship Tour, increase auto-tip, etc) while DW gets our table. Funny, but whomever we get seated with, become really good Cruise Buddies for the whole trip.

December '13 they still had the great menu with Salmon, Medallions... yum!

~sent using Cruise Critic app~