question on flight times

TMS9539

We will be flying out of Ft. Lauderdale on Dec. 8th. How soon do they start disembarking? Can we make a 10:20am flight if we choose to walk off the ship carrying our own luggage? Our TA says we can do it but I thought I'd check with the experts here before booking the flight. Thanks.

We will be flying out of Ft. Lauderdale on Dec. 8th. How soon do they start disembarking? Can we make a 10:20am flight if we choose to walk off the ship carrying our own luggage? Our TA says we can do it but I thought I'd check with the experts here before booking the flight. Thanks.

In May to FLL walk-off disembarkation began before 8:00 & we were in one of the 1st groups to go to the pier soon thereafter to claim our luggage. We got there very easily for an 11:45 flight which was after the Princess recommended earliest time of 10:30. We were the only ship in port without any embarking passengers as the ship as headed to a brief drydock. Check-in was a breeze but security still took about 20 minutes even in a very empty terminal.

You probably won't have any problems but it there are any unanticipated delays or tens of thousands passengers at the port, it could be tight. We prefer a more relaxing disembarkation & a less hurried trip home which may not be an option or something desirable for you.

I had asked this question previously and got mixed responses. I believe the thread was "self-disembarkation in Fort Lauderdale" so if you want to read those respones, you can search for that.

The consensus did seem to say that, if things go smoothly, you can certainly get there in time for your flight as the airport is very close to the port (about 15 minutes). I had booked a 945 flight after reading the responses and felt comfortable with that, although I did realize I was taking a risk. (my flight time was since changed by the airline)

The one piece of advice I got which was super helpful is that if you are going to walk off, make sure you have a hand free to go down the stairs/escalators (this is something that I have heard is enforced by the staff at the port).

Good luck!

If you choose to do self-disembarkation, you should make it. And, the one hand free on the escalator has been enforced every time I've disembarked in FLL. If you have a big suitcase, it's not easy to keep that and your carry-on steady on an escalator.

If you are on a T/A that ends in FLL, then that changes everything. Any time a ship is re-positioned, it takes a lot longer for the local authorities to clear all of the passengers and crew.

If your ship is in by 7am and everything runs smoothely, you should be okay. However, if there are delays, you will have a long miserable day, hoping to get on another flights. It is possible, you will have to overnight in FLL and fly the next day

You should make it with no problem. If you self disembark you can be at the airport before 8am and avoid the long lines for check in and security.

I just checked and there are 6 ships turning around in Ft. Lauderdale including the 5,400 Oasis of the Sea on Dec 8th. As long as you prioritize your departure from the ship with Guess relations and everything goes OK then you should make it. The port and airport are only 15 mins away. However, security line at FLL can be long on turn around day. Personally, I would NOT be comfortable with a 10:20A. However, if that's the only convenient/cheapest flight home then go for it. Just make note that if you missed that flight most other flights will be book solid for the remainder of the day. So if you absolutely have to be home that day I'd consider a later flight.

Long as there are no delays, you should be okay. If it were me, I would never book a flight before 1:00pm. I just wouldn't want to be rushed and would also want extra wiggle room in case of unforeseen delays.....:):):)

Bob

We've returned to Fort Lauderdale on a cruise about 30 times. There has only been one time we wouldn't have made a 10:20am flight out of FLL with early disembarkation, so I'd say your odds are very, very good.

Our ship was detained one time at Princess Cays when weather required that the tender operation be shut down. That time, we sailed into Port Everglades about 10am the next day. We hauled a$$ and made an 11:17am flight by the skin of our teeth, but that was enough to convince my husband to never book anything before noon.

We've made a 10:30 flight with no problems, but of course there are no guarantees. The vast majority of the time you will be fine with an early flight in Ft. Lauderdale, but there's always that danged exception.

Noonish would be much more comfortable.

Thanks for all the responses. I forgot to mention that we are not checking luggage - we travel very light, even on cruises. I think we'll go for it since it sounds like unless we're very unlucky we'll be okay.

Do the self walk off and you will be fine. ;)

We are usually at the gate by 7:45.

Is the construction finished? that created havoc with people and taxis/cars/buses last time I was through ...

you can ask the purser to expedite your departure - we were able to get off with the entertainment and crew once - for a 10AM flight -- but one just never knows

Archived