seasickness on a small boat-Ryndam?

lv9777

Ryndam might be called a small Ship in comparison to 125,000 ton megaship but it is hard to call a 55,000 ton ship small.

We have sailed the "S" Class Sister ships (Statendam, Maasdam, Ryndam and Veendam) dozens of times with pleasure and comfort.

They 'ride' well and your Dad is no more likely to be seasick on Ryndam than any other ship.

We are booked on the Ryndam over the holidays. My father is worried about seasickness because it is a smaller boat. Is the stability very different than the larger boats? Can you offer any reassurance?

Thankyou:confused:

When we went to Alaska in Sept 2008 on the Ryndam we had some rough seas and none of us were sick but certainly felt the motion of the ship. Everyone is different on how they handle the seas. Like KK says-maybe he should check with his doctor and see if there is something he wants to bring just in case.

"Ryndam might be called a small Ship in comparison to 125,000 ton megaship but it is hard to call a 55,000 ton ship small."

It occurs to me that Ryndam is larger than the aircraft carrier I spent four years aboard - and we didn't have stabilizers.;)

Seriously, in high winds and heavy seas, any ship is going to do some rolling around, especially the vast majority of cruise-line ships, which are really not designed for blue water traveling.

Ginger (on board) and green apples (on board) are great. I always take sea bands but have rarely used them. DH is more prone and finally has realized that the natural healer (the ginger and apples) work great.

I won't say how many cruises it has taken to convince him:o

If you happen to be like me and prefer not to take something unless you need it - a bit of gravol helps and the ship does have tablets - 1/2 is recommended by DH.

Now, back to your question - I haven't seen much difference in the size of the ships - in fact some of my smoothest crossings on the ATlantic have been on 'smaller' ships. Smooth seas. No worries - all will be good if you are prepared.

enjoy:D

In addition to, or instead of, checking with his doctor, have him check with his pharmacist. That's what I did before my first cruise as I am very prone to motion sickness.

I've been on the Ryndam twice and a few other HAL ships and have never been sick. I've only used my seabands as recommended by my pharmacist, although for that first cruise, I also took bonine along (but never used it).

It may not hurt to tell him it's mind over matter (not that that's necessarily true) but given how much the cruise was costing, I wasn't going to spend it sick in bed, if I could help it!!!:D

We are booked on the Ryndam over the holidays. My father is worried about seasickness because it is a smaller boat. Is the stability very different than the larger boats? Can you offer any reassurance?

Thankyou:confused:

We've sailed on her "S" class sister ships, the Maasdam and the Veendam, and will sail on the Ryndam for 14 days in January. I would hardly call her a "smaller boat"! The "S" class ships are a wonderful size...not too small...and not too large. perfect, IMO!

We hit a cold front coming through with lots of velocity as we left Tampa Bay. They closed Key West due to rough weather and we missed the port. Usually the Gulf stays pretty calm but one can't predict the weather. People were sick but they were the ones that didn't take sea sickness pills on sailing. The ship did take the swells very well but some people are more sensitive to movement than others. Be prepared on any cruise.

Archived