Requesting no solicitation onboard

MJinAK

I have not sailed on Princess before, but one of the big detractors for me on Celebrity was that the staff would interrupt us by the pool or during breakfast to try to sell us stuff (usually drinks, sometimes souvenirs). It reminded me of being hounded on the streets of Mexico.

I've read in some reviews that Princess does this as well. Is there a polite cue I could give on my upcoming cruise to let the staff know that if I want something, I will ask? Something akin to a "no solicitation" sign you might find in an office window?

Thanks.

In my experience after you say No Thanks to the drinks on the first several days the barwaiters soon stop approaching you.

Often if you are sitting at a table where there is a bar the first bar waiter who asks if you want a drink will leave a paper napkin on the table as a sign to the other waiters that you have already been asked.

I have not sailed on Princess before, but one of the big detractors for me on Celebrity was that the staff would interrupt us by the pool or during breakfast to try to sell us stuff (usually drinks, sometimes souvenirs). It reminded me of being hounded on the streets of Mexico.

I've read in some reviews that Princess does this as well. Is there a polite cue I could give on my upcoming cruise to let the staff know that if I want something, I will ask? Something akin to a "no solicitation" sign you might find in an office window?

Thanks.

i would say every ship would be the same so as Tracieabd said just say no thanks and they will walk away

I've only seen Princess staff selling the first day for the drink cards After the first day the other sells are for the wine tasting and asking if you want any of the speciality drinks in the dining room on certain nights. A simple no thank you and they are gone. I've heard that they do try to sell you products in the spa. I've also been told that putting on the card you fill out NO UPSELL and they will not ask after your treatments.

After the first day the other sells are for the wine tasting and asking if you want any of the speciality drinks in the dining room on certain nights. A simple no thank you and they are gone.

If you are in traditional dining, just tell your waitstaff the first evening that you do not want to hear about any offers from them any evening.

It is true that a simple 'no, thank you' does the trick. But, I have asked a waiter if he'd mind asking the photographers or others not to interrupt our meal if he happens to notice them moving through the dining room. While a waiter can't be everywhere, it is sometimes possible for them to run a little interference for you on this.

I can't help you with the spa, but I can tell you that earbuds and sunglasses have done the trick for me when I sit on one of the poolside loungers.

I've never seen any souvenir sales in the dining room during mealtime/ Seriously, I would be near fainting if someone tried to sell a trinket at the dinner table. That's going too far, in my opinion. Photos, drinks, I can understand (although I'd rather not have the intrusion) but souvenirs? Goodness, no.

We have always found a no thank you with a smile:) works very well.
I agree. I've never felt that Princess staff were persistent. They stop after a "No thank you." In the dining room, if the photographer approaches, I just shake my head and that usually stops them. I also don't remember any of the staff pushing products in the spa. I've had hair cuts several times and had to ask for product.

We have always found a no thank you with a smile:) works very well.

I agree. I've never felt that Princess staff were persistent. They stop after a "No thank you." In the dining room, if the photographer approaches, I just shake my head and that usually stops them. I also don't remember any of the staff pushing products in the spa. I've had hair cuts several times and had to ask for product.

I've had the same experiences & have never felt it was a problem. There's probably a fine line between those who feel it's excessive & those who think they're being ignored and I think that Princess does a good job keeping both types of passengers happy. :)

On our recent Island Princess cruises we were approached quite a bit more often than we had been on the Emerald last winter, especially during meals, for wine tastings and cookbooks. It was a bit bothersome, but then I realized that this crew didn't know us, didn't know that we got the wine tasting for free and had cruised enough to have at least one cookbook. Of course they were just doing their jobs, but it made me aware of what new or infrequent cruisers might face.

The only interruption that I still resent is photographers during dinner. I really don't want to have to say "no thank you" to that. I would rather that didn't happen at all.

The only interruption that I still resent is photographers during dinner. I really don't want to have to say "no thank you" to that. I would rather that didn't happen at all.

I would happily say 'no, thank you' to it about once a cruise. But, it's happening several nights a week. I really don't care for interruptions to dinner when I'm at home and my time with my husband at dinner is even more sacred and holy on a cruise! :D

One cruise we said "no thanks" with a smile and were still hounded many times throughout the cruise.

Another cruise we said "no thanks" with a smile and no one bothered us again.

Each cruise is different. Our attitude is the same. We just roll with the punches. Love being on vacation regardless.

-Andrew :)

If nobody had ever approached me, I wonder how long it would have taken to learn about wine tasting, coffee card, etc. They don't know if it is my first Princess cruise or not. The solicitation is certainly nothing like Mexico, Jamaica, or Cartegena.

Just a wave of a hand kept them from even asking to take a photo.

Several times when the photographers approach I have called them over (they usually come running because they think I want a special photo). I then whisper in their ear, "No photos, please. She's not my wife."

I've never been bothered a second time.

I remember being asked if I wanted a drink if I sat at a table on deck or in a lounge. I thought that good service. If I ordered a drink, in time, I would be asked if I want another. If not, I do not recall being asked again.

I remember walking past display tables for various things like flowers and spa treatments. Staff would ask as you made eye contact. It was never what I considered pushy.

The photographers never bothered me in the MDR. I would say no thanks and that would be that. I can not recall any asking a second time.

I did find the photographers in the way as I went ashore asking if I wanted a photo taken with whatever lame caricature of a costume they thought funny for that port. I wish they would get people who wanted it to step out of the path.

Later when the photos were on display it was back to walking up to talk to you only if you were looking at your own photos. Often giving options for what they could do with the photos such as print with a border or as a poster.

I guess each cruise could be different but I never felt Princess was hounding me. Always willing to make the sale yes, but not undue pressure.

Only 1 cruise was I actually annoyed when I was having lunch and every waiter or waitress asked it I wanted a drink from the bar, and that wasn't on Princess. On Princess, I have found that the first day they will sell the drink or coffee cards during the afternoon of boarding; I have found that the wine steward will come around the first night and when I tell them I don't drink, they don't ask again; the photographers are merely taking your picture, not your money. I always have the photo taken and rarely buy, but it's a nice option; generally the head waiter announces to the entire table if there is a special or a wine tasting. This is how they make their money. I do know how to say, 'no thank you, but thanks for asking' with a smile. I like to think that I'm not so full of myself that I'd find anyone doing their job intrusive. This is also how they find out if you want a drink or soda As for the islands, I hate the constant barrage of sales requests. They don't take 'no thank you' for an answer.

If I saw a 'no solicitation' sign on a table I'd probably fall of the floor laughing. Not because I'd think it was funny.

Maureen

Often if you are sitting at a table where there is a bar the first bar waiter who asks if you want a drink will leave a paper napkin on the table as a sign to the other waiters that you have already been asked.

The napkin works great! in fact, when I leave a table and move to another room, I will take my napkin with me and place it on the next table.

As others have said, a napkin on the table tells the waiters you have already been asked or served. It is normal when visiting a restaurant on land for the waiter to ask you if you want bar service so I expect it on a cruise as well. It also is normal when sitting down in a bar for the bar tender/waiter to ask what they can get for you. I have found that simply shaking my head or even a wave of the hand will suffice telling the waiter you are not interested. Of course there is always the "no thankyou" comment.

Meeting photographers in the MDR I have found the same procedure above works well. My only complaint is their desire to take my picture when I first board and later every time we leave the ship in a port call. I just walk on and they go to the next pax. I have always found them to interpret this as a no which they accept.

These people are there to provide servce to the pax. Expect them to ask if they can help you.

Archived