What To Do When You Lose Your Passport Abroad

dakrewser

We had no choice about carrying our passports in the Med in March. When we checked in at the Barcelona cruise terminal the ship's staff relieved us of our passports and we didn't see them again until the last night in Istanbul. Since we cruised from one EU country to the next, up until Turkey which is not part of the EU, there was no need for our passports.

A question for those who insist on carrying a copy of their passport (rather than the document itself) - what do you expect to be able to do with the copy?

*It's no good for immigration purposes either in the US or a foreign country

*It's no good for ID

So what is it good for?

A question for those who insist on carrying a copy of their passport (rather than the document itself) - what do you expect to be able to do with the copy?

*It's no good for ID

So what is it good for?

Other than having information readily available it really isn't of much good. I've read a number of posts here over the years where people have said it made getting a replacement "easier", and I take some of those posts with a grain of salt, it really isn't of much help. Guess it just makes folks feel better and from that standpoint it's pretty harmless and easy.

On the last day of our vacation to Zanzibar, a Sunday, my friend lost his US passport. We tried to report it to the police, but they just wrote the loss in their ledger and didn't give us a copy of the report so he had nothing to show he had reported it.

The British Consulate in Zanzibar is meant to provide Consular assistance to US citizens there according to our hotel. However they are closed on Sundays and could not offer emergency help.

My friend had to fly to Dar Es Salaam to go to the US Embassy there. Luckily he had a copy of the info page from his missing passport and US made passport photos so they told him it would be easy to do. They just wanted $100 in cash. He had no US cash on him. No other currency or credit card would do. He found a bank that would exchange Tanzananian shillings to dollars, but they would not do it without passport ID, which of course he didn't have...............

He eventually was able to obtain the dollars and get the new passport. However, his saga didn't end there, the Tanzanian officials were reluctant to let him leave the country as he didn't have a visa or an entry stamp into the country in his passport. The fact that the passport had been issued that day didn't calm them down.

We headed off on vacation just over a year later - only for him to discover on the day we were leaving that the passport was only good for one year! Luckily we were in Chicago and he was able to get a new one issued in a couple of hours and didn't miss his plane.

Now, traveling with Bob has many challenges, and one day I will write a book about it. But the lesson learned was that as well as having hard (and a way to get electronic) copies of your passport info page and passport photos it is a good idea to keep US $100 (or whatever the cost is now, this was a few years ago) with you as well as copies of your visas.

Alternatively, do not travel with Bob:)

*It's no good for ID

So what is it good for?

I assume you mean this to be rhetorical, as you've asked this question and I've answered it on other threads.

Other than having information readily available it really isn't of much good. I've read a number of posts here over the years where people have said it made getting a replacement "easier", and I take some of those posts with a grain of salt, it really isn't of much help. Guess it just makes folks feel better and from that standpoint it's pretty harmless and easy.

From the US State Department travel website:

"If you can provide the U.S. embassy or consulate with a photocopy of your passport identification page, that will make getting a new passport easier since your citizenship and identity information would be more readily available."

http://travel.state.gov/travel/tips/emergencies/lostpassport/lostpassport_1197.html

From personal experience, some friends traveling through Rome enroute to Tuscany were unlucky enough to be relieved of their passports at the train station. The one who had a copy of his passport scanned and available was able to get a new passport issued the same day. The other could not get a replacement until 2 days later and had to travel back to Rome to get it later in the week.

Actually, a copy is good for several things. If you try to cash a travelers check (not easy anymore) you may find that the money changing place (or bank) will want your Passport Number (a copy is good enough). If you lose your Passport, having a copy will help expedite the process at an Embassy or Consulate (it can save valuable time in the verrification process). When we rent a car (we often do this in Europe) the rental car agency will often want to copy down the Passport Info which they can get off a copy of the main page. Bottom line is that carrying a single page copy is not much of a hassle and it might come in handy. If not, no biggie.

Hank

Actually, a copy is good for several things. If you try to cash a travelers check (not easy anymore) you may find that the money changing place (or bank) will want your Passport Number (a copy is good enough). If you lose your Passport, having a copy will help expedite the process at an Embassy or Consulate (it can save valuable time in the verrification process). When we rent a car (we often do this in Europe) the rental car agency will often want to copy down the Passport Info which they can get off a copy of the main page. This recently saved us major problems when renting a car in Malaga where they needed to see our Passport (locked securely on the ship) or a copy. Bottom line is that carrying a single page copy is not much of a hassle and it might come in handy. If not, no biggie.

Hank

If you have the Global Access on your passport you get a small wallet size card, even, green card holders can get this. It also put you into the trusted fliers program, gets you through security lines, without shoe removal liquids and electronic removal. It lists your citizenship, has a picture and has a chip in it, with all your passport info. It has to carried a copper line holder though. I have used it to exchange money in EU countries, and Asia.

I had my passport reduced to credit card size and printed on plastic. But that was in Jaco, Costa Rica; the only place I've seen it advertised. I also have standard copies, but this one is easy to carry in port for ID. Remember, if you must remain in a place you didn't plan on staying, take advantage, meet the natives and have a good time.

As with many things, deciding to carry or not carry a passport while ashore is a risk/reward type of issue; some find it worth carrying while mitigating the risk as much as possible, others don't see the need to take the risk but must be prepared to deal the usually unlikely possibility of being caught in a foreign country without it.

Carry a copy. In case you've handed one to the wrong person at least you have the info.

If you have the Global Access on your passport you get a small wallet size card, even, green card holders can get this. It also put you into the trusted fliers program, gets you through security lines, without shoe removal liquids and electronic removal. It lists your citizenship, has a picture and has a chip in it, with all your passport info. It has to carried a copper line holder though. I have used it to exchange money in EU countries, and Asia.

Going by your cc name only, I am guessing you are in Canada? Is this Global Access new? We are about to renew our passports so if it's something we need to apply for it would be great to know. I didn't see anything on their website when I was getting the renewals ready.:confused: Thanks:D

Going by your cc name only, I am guessing you are in Canada? Is this Global Access new? We are about to renew our passports so if it's something we need to apply for it would be great to know. I didn't see anything on their website when I was getting the renewals ready.:confused: Thanks:D

We have a Nexus card which also had Global Access benefits. It is a different card that the one issued in the US. It has been a great help in flying back to Canada from the US or internationally. You have to have access to a major airport for the interviews though. Google "Nexus" There is a thread on the Oceania board about how to get one etc but it's from the US viewpoint but is very interesting. I noticed when renewing DD passport that Canada is starting to put chips in the book starting the beginning of 2013 for privacy protection. Hope this helps

Several people have referred to passport cards in their posts. The following information is from the U.S. State Department passport center website.

Passport cards "can only be used to re-enter the United States at land border-crossings and sea ports-of-entry from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda." Perhaps it might help prove one's identity if thei passport book were lost, but it has very limited use for re-entry into the U.S. It is not acceptable for international travel by air.

To get the global access card you must have a green card from the US. Upon entrance to the US you use a kisok, though you still give finger prints and a photo. It takes a couple of minutes at the most. The card is not a small passport, but a card, with a chip, with your passport information. It also makes you a trusted flyer, which means no inspection at TSA, though you and your cases, are still X-rayed. You don't have to take out anything of the cases or take off anything. In most airport in US and Candian you go thru a seperate line. Coming back from Asia or Eurpoe, I hold my passport up to the machine, it reads it and, as I say, I give my finger prints and a photo, all done by a machine in the c and im area.

*It's no good for ID

So what is it good for?

It's good for being able to quickly get replacement passport from Embassy if for some reason the ship leaves without you.

But that scenario which is always given to those of us who don't carry passports won't happen if you pay attention to the

All Aboard time and allow plenty of time to get back to the ship.

If stolen, it's of little use to the thief.

If stopped for some reason by police it shows you do have a passport.

I wish I had the link to the CC thread where an Embassy official said NOT to carry actual passport unless absolutely necessary.

[quote name='NMLady']
But that scenario which is always given to those of us who don't carry passports won't happen if you pay attention to the
All Aboard time and allow plenty of time to get back to the ship.[/QUOTE][FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][SIZE="3"]There's dozens of circumstances beyond your control when "plenty of time" can become "not enough time". [/SIZE][/FONT]

Archived