Techie question

Izziebella

Not unless you are cruising with your own cell tower! You will need Internet minutes to get online at sea. Also, make sure you turn off everything but wireless connection. Actually turn everything off and just turn on wireless when you need to get email,etc.

You will pay international roaming rates while out at sea and then the prices your plan has for each country you stop at. You need to check with your provider on what the roaming rates are, even with an international package the prices for roaming are much higher. You will not pay Carnival you will pay your plan provider.

Are you connecting with wireless or with cellular? If you are going through wireless you will have to pay Carnivals WiFi service, if you want to make phone call you will connect with cellular at sea which is expensive. I'm not sure of the cost, hopefully someone can let you know.

Cell calls run around $2.50 per minute. If you have a smartphone it's constantly pinging for e-mail etc. That's data and it's expensive. If you want to use a device to access the internet you have to buy a plan on-board. Most people turn their phones off except while in port. If you don't check these things out with your plan or provider, you'll be very upset when you get your bill.

Cell calls run around $2.50 per minute. If you have a smartphone it's constantly pinging for e-mail etc. That's data and it's expensive. If you want to use a device to access the internet you have to buy a plan on-board. Most people turn their phones off except while in port. If you don't check these things out with your plan or provider, you'll be very upset when you get your bill.

It's the VERY UPSET part that I'm trying to avoid.

Here are two items from a previous thread I made about "Tips For New Cruisers"... hope it helps with your question....

===========

Turn off your cell phone when you board the ship, and do not turn it back on until you get off the ship. You need to understand that once the ship pulls away from land, Carnival turns on their own cellular system. It is not owned by AT&T, nor Sprint, nor Verizon. It is operated by Carnival. It matters not what type of calling plan you have, how many minuets you get each month, if you have international roaming, nor anything else. None of that matters. You will be using Carnival's cellular system – operated by Carnival - and the contract you have with your regular carrier is moot. Carnival will charge you - and charge you a lot - for each and every minute used, for every byte of data used, and for every text message sent. You will be seriously shocked at the bill you receive

and

The ship’s internet is very slow. Not just slow, but *REALLY* slow. And it is expensive. Not just expensive, but *REALLY* expensive. Don’t promise your friends that while cruising you will chat with them on Facebook. And don’t tell your boss you’ll check your office e-mail while you’re gone. And don’t tell the kids that you will purchase them Internet time while on the ship. You are on vacation. Leave all that at home

unless something has changed within the last 6 mos. when you are on the ship your are connected to your provider via a Miami based company called MTN technoligies . They provide all the connections via thier dome shaped / sat. connections . it has nothing to do with your provider ..

so you will be charged for that connection at MTN's prevailing rates..

Here are two items from a previous thread I made about "Tips For New Cruisers"... hope it helps with your question....

===========

Turn off your cell phone when you board the ship, and do not turn it back on until you get off the ship. You need to understand that once the ship pulls away from land, Carnival turns on their own cellular system. It is not owned by AT&T, nor Sprint, nor Verizon. It is operated by Carnival. It matters not what type of calling plan you have, how many minuets you get each month, if you have international roaming, nor anything else. None of that matters. You will be using Carnival's cellular system – operated by Carnival - and the contract you have with your regular carrier is moot. Carnival will charge you - and charge you a lot - for each and every minute used, for every byte of data used, and for every text message sent. You will be seriously shocked at the bill you receive

and

The ship’s internet is very slow. Not just slow, but *REALLY* slow. And it is expensive. Not just expensive, but *REALLY* expensive. Don’t promise your friends that while cruising you will chat with them on Facebook. And don’t tell your boss you’ll check your office e-mail while you’re gone. And don’t tell the kids that you will purchase them Internet time while on the ship. You are on vacation. Leave all that at home

This is a joke right?

Carnival uses WMS (Wireless Maritime Services) to provide cellphone service while at sea. It can be used by anyone with GSM or CDSM cellphones with International Service turned on. The words Cellular At Sea will appear on most cellphones. The cell tower on the ship will be on as long as you are not near or in a port. Any use will be billed through your home cell phone carrier (AT&T, Sprint, Verizon, T-Mobile). Your carrier will determine the rate. For AT&T the charge is $2.49/minute, $.50/text message out, free/incoming text message and $.0195/KB data. AT&T does not require International Calling to be turned on as long as your calls are back to the US. When the ship nears a port the ship cell phone tower will be turned off by International Law and you will be using the land cell phone towers of that port.

For AT&T customers on a Carnival ship go to this website:

http://www.wireless.att.com/travelguide/coverage/coverage_details.jsp?CIDL=1578&MNC=380

I have AT&T and when we cruise, we add an international plan to the phones on the way to the port. We dont call each other, but we do text. AND MY CHILD CAN TEXT! :eek:....I have no extra charges when I get home, just the international plan for $5 per phone and that is even prorated, because we cancel it on the way home. This is reliable communication for us on the ship. But we make sure all the data stuff is turned off. Texting between our 3 phones is free on the ship and in the ports. As everyone else said, call your carrier. We can only tell you what OUR phones do and dont do. Have fun! :D

I place my Iphone on Airplane Mode because I use it for music as well as to take pictures in case my camera battery dies or like on my last cruise...my camera died altogether. Airplane mode keeps it from recieving calls/texts and keeps it from "looking" for data (emails and such). My work deals mainly in emails and I cant imagine how much that would cost our business. :eek:

I know there was one day that we were at sea and had a few libations and thought it would be a good idea to call mom and dad. That 3 minute call cost me about $30.00. :eek:

So much misinformation on this thread. We travel internationally a lot. AT&T international texting is not free, even with the international plan. Texting is 50 cents a text, so make them long. Most Caribbean island are $1.95 a minute with the plan, about $4 a minute without. $30 for 3 minutes sounds like you used the ships phone and no cell service charges $10 a minute even without a plan. Turn off data roaming in settings and you are safe and will not incur roaming charges from the ship. I have never turned off my phone on a cruise or in any foreign country and never had any surprises.

I'm so not technically inclined....please help me understand.

If my iphone has an international package is that sufficient for me to get online while on the ship or do I still need to purchase something from Carnival?

I'm only asking because you specifically started with the fact that you're not technically inclined...

Is that international VOICE (cheaper minute rates in some countries with the plan), or do you have international DATA?

this is what my plan would be.....got if off the website....under international calling.

Plan is good or 3 weeks or less

You can use the iPhone 4S - 16GB to talk and text in all selected countries. Before you travel, contact Verizon Wireless by dialing *611 from your wireless device or (800)922-0204 from any phone to enable international roaming. Location Voice Rate Data Rate Text Rate Data Network Voice Network iPhone 4S - 16GB Tech

Carnival Dream Standard:

voice

$2.49

$0.020/KB

($20.48/MB)

text

$0.50 send

$0.05 receive CDMA CDMA UMTS HSDPA

Archived