How do you handle price drops after final payment?

Anemix

My upcoming 32day cruise just had a price drop of about $200 for the balcony category that I had booked. I am not freaking out because I still think we got a great deal and lots of OBCs. However, I wonder if I would have the same reaction if the drop was much bigger :eek: I remember I used to book my cruises and never check prices again... didn't worry about prices drop or asking for the latest rate... it's true that sometimes "ignorance is bliss"... :p

How do I handle it? Really? Because this just happened to us this past week also.

Usually I glower at DH who insists on booking early and getting a specific cabin. Then I move on. It's a fact of life, and since we have the cabin we want and good air fare and the pre-cruise hotel we want, it's probably a fair tradeoff.

Probably.

We always take advantage of price drops before final payment. We have only booked one cruise after final payment - many years ago.

Now days, I never look after final payment because I know I have booked the most direct flight if air is involved - have the cabin I wish and the best deal I could have gotten in advance. Sometimes we have booked air with miles, meaning we had to book well in advance, which is a good savings for international travel.

If there's a higher category cabin for the same price you originally paid, you can see if they will upgrade you. If you like where you're at....then be happy you got the cabin you really wanted. Sometimes it happens that the price goes up and then you can pat yourself on the back that you booked early. Sometimes the price goes down and it's a little bit of a disappointment, but you're still going on a great cruise. I love the roll calls and all the fun it is to look forward to a cruise. When I book late I miss out on all that "daydream" time looking forward to my cruise. Hope you have a great time.

I usually just ignore it. But most of the time we're the one booking cabins after final payment date to take advantage of sales. I'm already looking at a couple of different cruises for December--waiting to see if their prices go down the first week of October. If DH can take off from work, we may be able to drive to Fort Lauderdale for a Sunday cruise and drive back home to North Carolina in time for Christmas--so last-minute airfare won't be a problem.

We have had our TA call about price drops after final payment. If the price is not "new bookings only" she requests the new price. While it hasn't happened often (twice, once "new booking") we have had the price reduced and a credit to our credit card.

Almost every price reduction after final payment time is "for new bookings only", so the only way to get the price reduction is to cancel your booking paying whatever penalty is required and then rebook.

Usually the price reduction will be less than the penalty for canceling your booking. Even if the reduction is worth paying the penalty, you will likely lose your assigned cabin, shore excursions booked and, if you had it, a confirmed traditional dinner seating time.

If there's a higher category cabin for the same price you originally paid, you can see if they will upgrade you. /quote]

We are in exactly that situation for our 14 day Grand Princess cruise in November. The insides are now $100pp less than we paid and outsides are $50pp less. I tried to be upgraded to an outside, and told them I wasn't looking for any money back. No Luck! I was looking at the discounted prices from my TA, but the official Princess price hasn't changed. To pay for an upgrade to an OS would cost us $300. Since the lower rates are "new bookings only", I guess I am out of luck. They did say they put a note in my booking asking for an upgrade to an OS, but at these prices, I'm sure they will go quickly, before thet assign us a cabin. (guar) Oh well, only 53 days till our next cruise :).

Got the same RD a few times when we were more restricted on travel dates, now we just wait for what seems like a great deal. Problem is those great deals are getting less and less. We have been noticing a patern where the so called great price reductions don't really exist. They are advertised on the site but when you try to book it those prices you will find that those cabins don't exist, you are directed towards different category with a higher rate and guaranteed cabin; and it is not because they sold them out before you booked because those same prices will be listed days later, but those categories with that rate are never shown, you will only see the remaining categories at higher rates with guarantees only.

Kind of a bait and switch marketing and selling ploy.

I have read about others calling and getting a bit of OBC to offset some of the difference.:)

We have had such an experience and while it is not 100 cents on the dollar it has been a significant gesture and suspect it relates to what kind of a relationship your TA has with Princess.

Archived