Passenger List

Silver Spectre

Is this fact or a rumor about being taken to court? If taken to court, did the person win?

I ask this becaus say someone took them to court. I am not sure it's the first time that someone took a cruise line to court or tried to sue them.

Seems funny that some lines still do this. They all know what each other does and they would all know about a court case too.

The disclaimer was very clear on how this worked.

Keith

I agree with Herman. You would think that if they couldn't last passenger names (which I still find hard to believe) that a list of the officers/staff would be nice. And if one wants to save costs on another cruise line that we sail often in order to address this rather then sending it to all cabins you just let them know if you want it. I think that is a smart move because it cuts down on waste for those who prefer not to get them and cutting costs benefits all of us in the end.

On a personal level my wife and I have saved all of the guest lists from our cruises. We do go back to this from time to time to reflect on who we sailed with in terms of officers , etc. And I happen to have the guest list from the first cruise I ever went on at the ripe "old" (well young) age of 12. It's a nice memory as are many of the daily programs that we save.

Keith

Keith1010, I actually knew this was coming. We cruised the NF 6 years ago and the pcs or nonpcs depending on your opinion were talking about an invasion of privacy. Personally I'm outraged, because, like you we saved our lists to remember names and with written notes later contacts. What does this say about our world today?

There is nothing but stinginess to stop them from supplying us with a booklet like we used to get with the list of staff/crew, details (i.e. # of passengers) and space to fill in the contact details we want to keep record of, having got names from the passengers directly through conversations.

Still, given that there is an opt out option, there should be an opt in option on the website.

And, I too, am appalled that they can opt out automatically with this but not the charity.

• 2 months later...

I believe whatever legal reason that was explained is just plain BS from SS. What is it with hotel desk people that allow them to lie so easily and keep a straight face? On SS it has progressed to several departments.

And how can the very few that sailed with this company during the 90's continue to keep a straight face today?

I believe whatever legal reason that was explained is just plain BS from SS. What is it with hotel desk people that allow them to lie so easily and keep a straight face? On SS it has progressed to several departments.

And how can the very few that sailed with this company during the 90's continue to keep a straight face today?

All due respect Oregon, all you do is whine ,if you don't like Silversea, try another line.😰

Let's face it. As much as we all love Silversea, we have to admit they have chosen to evolve into a sub Luxury line rather than a true luxury line. They compete on price rather than luxury. After our most recent cruise, earlier this year, we wrote to Kenneth Watson expressing our disappintment (Didn't even receive a form letter acknowledging our letter which is probably another cost saving.) We pointed out that luxuury on Silversea was suffering a death by a thousand cuts. First timers might not notice it but those of us onboard our last cruise who are lon time Silversea veterans compiled a list of changes over the years. Each of these things taken alone are no big deal but taken together it dimishes the luxury product. The list we came up with included:

Elimination of free caviar, champagne no longer waiting in your suite upon arrival (you must request it), a thimble size serving of nuts in the bar rather than a nice bowl with cocktails, elimination of fresh flowers in public areas, elimination of hors d'orveres during cocktail hour in the bar, elimination of the cheese trolley at dinner, miniscule serving of berries with cereal, premade hash brown patties at breakfast, linen mats next to the beds at turndown, deteriorating quality of the free wines. In addition, they have not invested enough in some modern amenities such as an up to date internet service which can actually be used. Also, they delay drydock visits so ling the ships are limping through some cruises with plumbing problems etc. Now they have eliminated the passenger list. Admittedly, some of these things may come and go on various cruises. We continue to sail Silversea, primarily because of the staff and service.We realize Silversea Cruise line is not a charity and are in business to make money. As they compete on price they have to cut service. We suggested to Mr. Watson that some passengers (we're not speaking for everyone) would be willing to pay more to have a true luxury experience. We're not suggesting a two class passenger system on each cruise, but perhaps they could have some true luxury cruises which are not as deeply discounted but provide a real luxury experience. Apparently, Silversea is satisfied with their current strategy and therefore will continue to depend on the "bean counters" to come up with new cost savings. At some point even the most loyal Silversea passengers will think about trying other lines.

Thanks Duct Tape. We wrote much earlier in the year when, we think Watson was still there. We also copied Manfredi Lefebre D'Ovidio but also got no response. We really don't think writing will change anything, it just felt good to get it said. We met a couple that had over 450 nights sailing on Silversea and they said they had written several times(they were from the UK) about some of these issues and never got a reply. Silversea is getting what they want full ships and probably making money. They have no incentive to restore the true luxury experience.

(Also posted on the Xmas Gift thread)

We received our Judith Ripka "gift" card today.

Does anyone find it ironic that we can't get a passenger list because of confidentiality issues, but Silversea has no problem giving our names and full addresses to the folks at Judith Ripka?

(Also posted on the Xmas Gift thread)

We received our Judith Ripka "gift" card today.

Does anyone find it ironic that we can't get a passenger list because of confidentiality issues, but Silversea has no problem giving our names and full addresses to the folks at Judith Ripka?

I couldn't have said it better Victoria. Bravo!

ScottToronto

From what I understand, SEVERAL times, men (not woman from what I know) have brought their Girlfriends.....NOT their wives onboard (imagine that?) AND were caught based upon the printed passenger lists....It is a small world.

In my past SS cruises we met only two couples who we found out later in the cruise were not married to each other.......still nice people. To each their own...we are all adults. We make our beds......and then we lie in them.

Cheers!

From what I understand, SEVERAL times, men (not woman from what I know) have brought their Girlfriends.....NOT their wives onboard (imagine that?) AND were caught based upon the printed passenger lists....It is a small world.

If this is true, it's a ridiculous reason for eliminating pax lists -- risky behavior tempts fate -- I resent suffering the consequences of others' bad judgment. :mad:

If you are stupid enough to take a girlfriend on a cruise and not check the "withhold name from passenger list" you deserve what you get.

Besides, if someone you know is on the cruise, or you meet up with a friend of a friend coincidentally, you are in trouble, whether or not your name is on the list.

Many married couples don't share last names (and in the Province of Quebec a married woman CANNOT take her husband's last name without going to court and legally changing her name) so different last names means nothing; one can't figure out marital status based on the passenger list.

• 1 month later...

Very disappointed to learn that Passenger List will not be reappearing. It was produced for the world cruise as an exception.

Have tried the line that this is a long cruise and it should be available, but it seems that the VP Operations is the one who made the decision (probably on cost cutting grounds) and that is where any effort to get it it reinstated must be addressed.

I'm sorry but I don't understand why some of you want a passenger list? It does seem very unusual practice and I'm not sure I'm comfortable with it at all.

I've only done one SS cruise and we met some great people, some of whom we will keep in touch with.....so we just exchanged email addresses. We don't have anything to hide but I wouldn't feel comfortable with the whole ship knowing our details.

I'm sorry but I don't understand why some of you want a passenger list? It does seem very unusual practice and I'm not sure I'm comfortable with it at all.

I've only done one SS cruise and we met some great people, some of whom we will keep in touch with.....so we just exchanged email addresses. We don't have anything to hide but I wouldn't feel comfortable with the whole ship knowing our details.

Knowing DETAILS? All that's printed is name and home town.

Archived