Baseball Hats in the MDR

FloridaGators

p.s.

I'd like to also say my dh is very much a southern gentleman. You wouldn't find a better man.

Who cares if he wears a cap inside or not? Don't we have better topics to discuss?

I would consider it disrespectful only if it was at your house and you asked him to remove it. But then, if that offended you to begin with, I doubt we'd be dining with you.

some men wear a cap because of balding to hide it. Some women wear black to hide their fat or to look/appear smaller. same thing.

i'd rather complain about the man wearing a tank top at dinner...now that's gross seeing pit hair :eek:

That's actually a reason that I'd be disinclined to wear a hat all the time. It's always a shock to people when your hat comes off and you're bald. Even I, having lost much of my hair at a fairly young age, have this reaction when I first discover that somebody is bald (or much balder than I expected).

To whom? My assumption when I see older guys wearing a cap is that they are covering their insecure head.

I'm more surprised when the older guys take their hat off and they have hair.

Once I also brought this up (agree strongly with OP and others...no hats while you're singing the National Anthem, no hats while dining).

However, if something negative is brought up, oftentimes we're told that we're complainers or we're letting someone ruin our cruise or to lighten up or to take a land vacation.

So, thanks for saying it out loud.

Maybe someone brave will try again with muscle shirts and shorts below the fanny in the MDR.

I know Carnival doesn't want to offend anyone but by doing so, they turn the blind eye to the many who might be offended by those who are breaking the rule.

Anyway, thanks OP.

As we all know, at least on the Carnival cruises that I've been on, there has been at least one "elegant" night and the dress code is explained in the Fun times.

On our last cruise, on Elation, the Fun Times defined the dress code as usual but left out the part about wearing baseball caps in the MDR.

We had a table near the Matre'd's desk and couldn't help but notice several men wearing baseball caps being admitted without comment on Elegant night.

I must admit that I've never completely understood why men would find it necessary to wear a ball cap or any other hat inside.....especially in a dining room.

I asked the Matre'd about this after dinner and he basically said that "they don't want to offend anyone". I suggest that Carnival should either start enforcing the dress code or drop it completely.

Can anyone explain why men wear ball caps to dinner?

You already said it.... They dont want to O-F-F-E-N-D---- Anybody.. As Niel Boortz would say.. Since the majority of the people that sail the older smaller ships and short cruises are people of a differnt class.. Redneck, Hillbilly, Wally world, trailer types... Im not speaking for everybody, but the majority is... At least the ones that dress that way..

Military regulation. Military members are to uncover when entering a building but there are exceptions like a formation in an armory. When outside military members will be covered. This is the general rules.

In the west men wear hats inside along with their blue jeans, long sleeved shirt and coat. Different parts of the country have different customs.

Same here for 12 years.. After the navy. I havent had a hat on my head.. That was 1995. i cant stand wearing hats..

cruisinhillbilly totally understand but the percentage of somebody that is on a cruise right after chemo is very low maybe 1%

It may not be right after the chemo. It can be months after chemo. Hair just doesn't grow back nice and neat. It grows back in patches and strings and strangles. For some people it may never grow back into a nice head of hair.

I used to be one of those folks who thought someone did not teach that man in a hat any manners. Until cancer came to my family. No more judgements by me.

It must have really ruined your dinner to have to be subjected to such blatent hat wearing behavior. I have heard in rare instances it actually taints the flavor of food just being in the vacinity of hat wearers. I hope you were able to get past this and enjoy your cruise. I somehow doubt it though.

You already said it.... They dont want to O-F-F-E-N-D---- Anybody.. As Niel Boortz would say.. Since the majority of the people that sail the older smaller ships and short cruises are people of a differnt class.. Redneck, Hillbilly, Wally world, trailer types... Im not speaking for everybody, but the majority is... At least the ones that dress that way..

Okay. smh :rolleyes:

to the Op they might of been wearing the hats to cover up chemo, like my father on our last cruise before we lost him to lymphoma, he wore a nice stetson in the dining room,he "always use to dress western", he didn't like it because he was very old-school, but he didn't want to gross people out with his patches of hair, so to all you other people, don't be so quick to judge, they might be hiding something that is very embarrassing to them.

it's becoming a sad world where we have to live up to what others think

everyone acts like everyone should know the rules of others but you can't expect for everyone to be brought up the same way. i have a friend that make below poverty level incomes that saved 8 years to take a cruise. Etiquette to him is giving thanks for the small amount of food he gets to eat. and would be very upset if he a fended anyone, but i guaranty he would everyday on a cruise just because he doesn't know better.

so please have a heart and give people a brake

Actually don't understand this logic. Is it they that feel uncomfortable they they don't want to see their bald head? And they cover their head for us?

How would we even know why he was bald? There's no chart to show why.

It may not be right after the chemo. It can be months after chemo. Hair just doesn't grow back nice and neat. It grows back in patches and strings and strangles. For some people it may never grow back into a nice head of hair.

I used to be one of those folks who thought someone did not teach that man in a hat any manners. Until cancer came to my family. No more judgements by me.

I understand that and that is an exception...I have a friend that wears a toupee and he looks silly in it in my opinion because its not a real good one...And all his friends know its a toupee but I guess he feels more comfortable in it...Me- I inheireted a wide part in my hair from both sides of my family and just last year got tired of it and now shave my head..I have to wear a hat out in the sun but would never wear one to the MDR...Dennis

They wear them into the dining room on a ship because the maitre' d doesn't really want them to create a scene when he tells them it's in poor form and they shoud know better.

Ashore, they wear them into a restaurant because they were not raised properly and have poor manners.

They wear them backwards because they like to look like a doofus.

Nobody knows why they wear 'em backwards and have a goatee.

Cathyoo...true but a man being bald is easily accepted many men are bald. You have a point, but the last Carnival cruise I saw many men wearing caps Im sure they all didn't have chemo, there is sometimes that one person yes, but the maitre d' should go over to them and ask if they wearing the cap due to medical reason they may keep it on but if not to take it off.

Philly Steve good answer love it!

luddite well said but I like to add one more thing wearing a hat/cap in any dining establishment when there is no sun there because your inside just makes that person look real stupid and an azzhole. (low life too)

cruisinhillbilly totally understand but the percentage of somebody that is on a cruise right after chemo is very low maybe 1%

scperk totally agree with you

People wear ball caps in dining establisments I say go to McDonalds thats where they belong sorry but my opinion.

I agree !

Cathyoo...true but a man being bald is easily accepted many men are bald. You have a point, but the last Carnival cruise I saw many men wearing caps Im sure they all didn't have chemo, there is sometimes that one person yes, but the maitre d' should go over to them and ask if they wearing the cap due to medical reason they may keep it on but if not to take it off.

Philly Steve good answer love it!

luddite well said but I like to add one more thing wearing a hat/cap in any dining establishment when there is no sun there because your inside just makes that person look real stupid and an azzhole. (low life too)

I'm in agreement about lots of men with caps/hats do not have a reason. I know I've had to remind my sons about removing their caps. I don't know what they do when I am not around.

I do believe that if there are rules/guidelines they should be enforced. Otherwise remove them.

While I agree about not wearing baseball hats in MDR, on several occassions I have gone back to our room to get a hat, although not a baseball cap. I am bald, take blood thinner, and am very cold natured. Sometimes, sitting under an air condition vent, I just can't take the cold air for 1 1/2-2 hours. Sorry this causes problems for people.

My husband love's wearing his hat no matter what the occasion is.He alway's wear's it in the MDR.And if you have a pet peeve of people wearing hat's then you have some serious issue's if that little thing bother's you:rolleyes:.Actually this past May my husband wore a hat into the MDR and the maitre d told him to take it off, he did but he put it back on because as we looked around there were men and women wearing hat's and the maitre d didn't ask them to take there's off.I just don't see what's wrong wearing a hat in the MDR, i have been on many cruise's and i have seen worse thing's than wearing a hat:rolleyes:.

My husband love's wearing his hat no matter what the occasion is.He alway's wear's it in the MDR.And if you have a pet peeve of people wearing hat's then you have some serious issue's if that little thing bother's you:rolleyes:.Actually this past May my husband wore a hat into the MDR and the maitre d told him to take it off, he did but he put it back on because as we looked around there were men and women wearing hat's and the maitre d didn't ask them to take there's off.I just don't see what's wrong wearing a hat in the MDR, i have been on many cruise's and i have seen worse thing's than wearing a hat:rolleyes:.

Some more "ME" generation that the guidelines don't apply too...Dennis

IMO, a man wearing a ball cap is better than a woman who wears he top/dress so low cut that if she turns the wrong way the girls might break out, or wears spaghetti straps with a bra.

I mean come on people. Some of you want to say they are being disrespectful and they were raised poorly, so what does it say about the women who dress as I said above?

Everyone dresses (ballcaps included) to their comfort level. It does not change the taste of your food, and if the sight bothers you so much, then don't look at them.

I have to agree , I think its wrong ...but man who really cares, Oh wait I get it my MDR experience was just ruined by someone wearing a ballcap or was it the flip flops no wait it was those jeans with the hole in them oh the heck with it cancel my cruise:rolleyes:

You already said it.... They don't want to O-F-F-E-N-D---- Anybody.. As Niel Boortz would say.. Since the majority of the people that sail the older smaller ships and short cruises are people of a different class.. Redneck, Hillbilly, Wally world, trailer types... I'm not speaking for everybody, but the majority is... At least the ones that dress that way..

Hey I go to Wally World but don't wear a hat and have always removed it when inside. I always put it in my waste band and I'm going to miss Boortz. :D

Societal norms and fashion change at a rapid pace.

Believe it or not, "manners" and "ettiquete" are fluid not fixed ideas. What was acceptable / not acceptable 40 years ago is not the same as today.

Unless something is a health violation, does it really matter?

You don't like to see a man with a hat on in the dining room - get over yourself.

Funny but I bet if you asked "Miss Manners" she would tell you that yes, it is poor manners to wear a baseball cap to dinner but it is even poorer manners to draw attention to that person or make a scene or insult them.

Archived