Baseball Hats in the MDR

FloridaGators

As we all know, at least on the Carnival cruises that I've been on, there has been at least one "elegant" night and the dress code is explained in the Fun times.

On our last cruise, on Elation, the Fun Times defined the dress code as usual but left out the part about wearing baseball caps in the MDR.

We had a table near the Matre'd's desk and couldn't help but notice several men wearing baseball caps being admitted without comment on Elegant night.

I must admit that I've never completely understood why men would find it necessary to wear a ball cap or any other hat inside.....especially in a dining room.

I asked the Matre'd about this after dinner and he basically said that "they don't want to offend anyone". I suggest that Carnival should either start enforcing the dress code or drop it completely.

Can anyone explain why men wear ball caps to dinner?

I wear ball caps when I am in the sun for a while or do not feel like doing my hair. Even at Wendy's, I take off my cap to eat. There are people I know that I have known for a long time and never see them without something on their heads....I don't get it. I think anything on someones head is not appropriate in the MDR, no matter the meal or occassion.

I can't either? I do have to admit that I've been guilty of wearing my cap into the dining room at lunch, after being out on deck, but I quickly removed it when it occurred to me that I had it on. :eek: I can think of no reason at all, however, to wear a baseball cap at night?????:rolleyes: (Unless you're on a baseball diamond, playing baseball,,,,and even then it's "iffy" at night)?

"SKY"

Hat, no hat, not much of a big deal. But, I hate the "slobbing down" of cruising in general. Saw one punk kid with pants-on-the-ground everyday on our last cruise. People were really REALLY laughing at him. Of course, he thought he was kool. Couldn't convice him otherwise.

I don't cruise every week. I want it to be as fun and special as possible. I prefer a suit jacket or cocktail casual at main dinner seating for myself. I guess we'll have to choose more expensive cruises for atmosphere and quality in the future, if the bus continues to let off at Carnival. :p

dh is a hat wearing guy...he wears a baseball cap or a western hat , except at dinner.

i think he thinks he's hiding the fact that he's balding lol. :eek:

he wakes up in the morning and puts the cap on.

if an intruder broke in to the house, he'd grab his cap, then his gun and in that order!

i dunno...i don't get it. but he's darn near perfect so if that's the biggest complaint i have about him then i'll live. :)

i can't understand it either. I did see it in the MDR, but on the first night of the cruise, not elegant night. Even if you're dressed in shorts and a t-shirt that night because you may not have gotten luggage yet, there isn't a need for a cap in my opinion.

Big pet peave of mine. My son once told a buddy of his "take your hat off before dad gets in here, he'll slap it off".

House rule, No hats at the table!

exactly! hats are NOT to be worn inside, ever....well hardly ever ( I think an exception can be made for medical reasons).

When I was a boy, if I wore a hat inside, my father would take it off for me, but managed to grab a hunk of hair in the process.

It is acceptable for a woman to wear hats but not a man. When a man removes his hat it shows respect deference.

I believe it came from church: Every man who prays or prophesies with his head covered dishonors his head. And every woman who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered dishonors her head—it is just as though her head were shaved.

I call it double standard but honestly I think both men and women should not wear hats inside public places.

It is rude, I personally think if they people were told by the waiters and other staff, I think people may comply weather they like it or not. I am a lady, I wear hats, but not indoors , or where ever we eat.

USN - I don't know about the Navy, but in the Army, if you walked into the NCO Club with your cover on, a bell rang and you immediately bought a round

Oops - I saw the usn at the beginning of your name and incorrectly assumed you were navy - sorry lol

As we all know, at least on the Carnival cruises that I've been on, there has been at least one "elegant" night and the dress code is explained in the Fun times.

On our last cruise, on Elation, the Fun Times defined the dress code as usual but left out the part about wearing baseball caps in the MDR.

We had a table near the Matre'd's desk and couldn't help but notice several men wearing baseball caps being admitted without comment on Elegant night.

I must admit that I've never completely understood why men would find it necessary to wear a ball cap or any other hat inside.....especially in a dining room.

I asked the Matre'd about this after dinner and he basically said that "they don't want to offend anyone". I suggest that Carnival should either start enforcing the dress code or drop it completely.

Can anyone explain why men wear ball caps to dinner?

I can't explain it either. But I do have a response to the maitre'd who says they don't want to offend anyone. Too bad, you failed. I am EXTREMELY offended!!!

Archived