New York to Montreal, # 4226 October 2,2012 Delayed

ronjo

Just received word that the Silver Whisper needs a repair to it's propeller and our cruise from NY will be delayed one day. All passengers will put up in three separate hotels in NYC for the first night. The Newport, RI stop will be eliminated. We will receive $75 pp SBC and 20% discount off a future cruise if booked by 12/31/12.

We too were advised of this delayed departure. Since the Whisper is being repaired in a remote shipyard, embarkation will not start until 3:00 pm on Wednesday, 3 October as the ship will not be at the cruise terminal on Tuesday, 2 October. Hope the Whisper gets fixed properly before we embark for the World Cruise in January 2013.

Just received word that the Silver Whisper needs a repair to it's propeller and our cruise from NY will be delayed one day. All passengers will put up in three separate hotels in NYC for the first night. The Newport, RI stop will be eliminated. We will receive $75 pp SBC and 20% discount off a future cruise if booked by 12/31/12.

Were you happy with the offer? I do not think that was generous. Even though NY hotels are not cheap, SS probably gets a reduced rate for the rooms so they are giving you a room for $300-$400 a night and a $150 SBC per couple. Chances are that the daily rate they were charging you (as a couple) for the suite on the ship was much more than that. Plus you now have to buy meals and drinks in New York. If you have no intention of booking another SS cruise, you have probably lost out!

We have been informed that the only meal provide will be breakfast. However with the steep prices in the resturants in NY the $75 pp SBC may not be sufficient to cover our other meals- lunch and dinner. SS has reserved rooms for us at the Times Square Intercontinental and from what I have read it appears to be a quality hotel. We just hope that the repairs are completed in time to depart with only a one day delay.

We have been informed that the only meal provide will be breakfast. However with the steep prices in the resturants in NY the $75 pp SBC may not be sufficient to cover our other meals- lunch and dinner. SS has reserved rooms for us at the Times Square Intercontinental and from what I have read it appears to be a quality hotel. We just hope that the repairs are completed in time to depart with only a one day delay.

There are some good restaurants near the theater district ( where your hotel is) which have pre-theater dinners at a reasonable price. You can get opinions on fodors.com forums.

Agree with SilverSpectre. We just came back from a Uniworld cruise on the Seine. While in Rouen they needed to repair a propeller and reboarding would not be in time for dinner. They booked the best restaurant in Rouen and a delicous meal plus unlimited wine was served. It took some work by Uniworld to get the wine to flow freely but it was accomplished even though belatedly. That imo is the way to take care of an inconvenience:)

Keep all receipts. If SS doesn't up the offer, submit them to your travel delay insurance.

Personally, I shocked at the offer. Since this is my neck of the woods, I'd prefer to cancel and use the money towards a nice stay in NYC, rather than compromise on the number of days on board and the number of ports.

Silversea has just advised that the New York City to Montreal Voyage #4226 on the Silver Whisper has had the embarkation port changed from Manhattan Cruise Terminal to the Cape Liberty Cruise Port, Bayonne, NJ. This location is just East of Newark Airport off of I-78. Embarkation time is still 3:00 PM.

The Bayonne Terminal is great if you are flying into EWR or live in NJ. The unfortunate thing is that you will miss the sail down the Hudson from the 12th Ave Passenger Ship Terminal. Thats always a highlight. You get to see all the skyscrapers and landmarks and the westside of NYC. When you leave from Bayonne you basically come out and make a hard right and then head directly for the V.Narrows Bridge.

So, What is happening?

Since it is a weekend and cruise is now set to leave Wednesday, I suspect nothing is happening today.

Hopefully there will be a better compensation offer tomorrow once all he** hits as the affected passengers contact their travel agents requesting full refunds on the cruise or a better offer.

Certainly, as I said upthread, I'd not take the offer and would be pushing my TA to get decent compensation for me. I pay $1K a day for my SS trips (on average) so I'd expect $1K per day compensation, not a friggin $150, plus a hotel room. Maybe that's all those traveling on Princess would expect, but Silversea?

Just a thought -- why didn't they let those passengers who wanted to embark and go nowhere for a day get on board the ship on the original date. It would be lovely to have a "sea" day in NYC, and I can't imagine that repairs to the prop would in any way affect the passengers. It's probably a liability issue for them, but...

Our TA asked Silversea about getting onboard on Tuesday anyway and allow us to just spend it as a sea day. They said no because the ship would be in an industrial area for the repairs and would have all the problems with shipyard hazards and incomplete security issues. Sounds reasonable to me.

So, What is happening?

We have some friends on the ship and are trying to find out but have been unable to reach them. Their cell phones are off (their chargers were in the carry on luggage that was stolen in Stockholm) and they haven't been checking email. I am sure we will hear from them soon with an update.

They are skipping Newport RI and arriving in NYC today.

Should be an interesting story. We disembarked on 9/18 in Southampton and everything was fine...and the TA seemed to reach their Canadian ports on schedule.

Are we seeing a pattern emerge here, and could it have anything to do with cost cutting or its just bad luck.

The a/c has gone again on the Cloud (assuming its the old unreplaced compressor), which probably wouldn't have happened it the Cloud dry dock had been completed on the original schedule.

We had an engine problem on the Shadow 2 weeks ago which cost us the visit to Tracey Arm. Never did get an answer as to what it was.

The Whisper prop problem could be a fouling, an accident or more wear and tear. Again we just don't know.

It would be nice if someone from SS posted on here and gave us an update.

I just saw the ship in Bayonne drydock. It is right next to where the ship will leave from. To get here by driving, you take the NJ Turnpike from wherever you are coming from and get off at exit 14A. Follow the signs to cruise terminal. Taxi from New York will probably cost $75 or so I would guess. Public transportation would be far more problematic. You would need to get Path to Hoboken and then take the Light Rail to 34th Street in Bayonne. You still cannot walk to the port, although I have seen some very intrepid (read: nuts) walk it. There is no sidewalk for about a quarter of a mile once you are on the port road. You will have to call for a cab from the light rail station. I definitely would not recommend doing it this way with luggage. Taxi is your best option. They will drop you off right at check-in. Tarvel time from midtown will probably be 45 minutes or so with no traffic problems.

Archived