Century leaves the fleet?

Kruizefan

Wanted to let everyone know that we just got off a Hawaiian Cruise on the Century. At our Cruise Critic get together we asked the Captain about the rumour about the Century possibly being sold. He told us that as of right now there are absolutely no plans to sell the Century. He said the dry dock was being rescheduled because the upgrade plans have not been finalized. Hopefully this is true as it was a wonderful crew and one of the best we have been on.

Heard something similar from a Hotel Director on a different ship last month...HD brought it up in the context of a conversation about when/if X would ever do an annual world cruise like HAL or Cunard...HD (previously employed by HAL) stated that Century would be a good choice for starting world cruise itineraries as it is smaller so less marketing challenge to fill it, (although most pax just do segments versus a smaller number that do the entire world voyage). I stated Century had a revamp a few years back to add verandahs, but that it did not have the bells and whistles of S class or Solsticized M class, and he mentioned the drydock/upgrade. It was interesting speculation, but admittedly was raw speculation.

Business decisions and plans can change all the time, and until formal announcements, rumors reign....

Don, I recall when the Zenith left, it already had bookings for Bermuda cruises. Celebrity substituted one of Azamara's ships, the Journey or Quest, for the summer Bermuda season. They had just purchased the fleet. Many on the board were upset because there were no children's facilities on the ship.

Absolutely, they had to scramble and provide childrens programs and space for that summer since they had so many bookings...

Don, I recall when the Zenith left, it already had bookings for Bermuda cruises. Celebrity substituted one of Azamara's ships, the Journey or Quest, for the summer Bermuda season. They had just purchased the fleet. Many on the board were upset because there were no children's facilities on the ship.

Yes, everyone was moved to Azamara Journey. We were booked on the repositioning of the Zenith right after the Bermuda season. They moved us, upgraded our cabins and added 2 more days onto that cruise! Needless to say, we sailed on the Journey for dirt cheap, and by then all the kinks that many, including some friends, had to endure with the first few Bermuda cruises were over. Sometimes things work out great!

So, it is possible that Celebrity will do it again.

We just finished our 15 day Panama Canal cruise on the Century. She truly is a beautiful shipp and it would be a shame to loose her.

During the public forum part of our CC party I asked if the Century was being sold. Our host, the Hotel Manager, replied that no decision has yet been made by Celebrity's upper management AND that they were leaning towards keeping her.

He also acknowledged the problem about the accuracy and the validity of information we get when contacting the sales department. Management is working on a solution for that issue. He said that it will take time to correct the situation and to please be patient.

One thing that our host told me is that we do have influence with the upper tiers of Celebrity's management and if you want the Century to remain with Celebrity to either email or even better write letters to management expressing that view.

After hearing this we do have hope that the Century will stay with =X=. We would certainly like to cruise aboard her again

Everyone out there have a safe and a happy New Year!!!!

:):):)

It seems Century will be gone by next summer. If a decision/deal to sell her has been made, which I assume it has, it would not be disclosed too early so as to not effect future bookings. But the fact there was not a flat denial tells me all I need to know. The Century is gone, long live the Century!

We just finished our 15 day Panama Canal cruise on the Century. She truly is a beautiful shipp and it would be a shame to loose her

After hearing this we do have hope that the Century will stay with =X=. We would certainly like to cruise aboard her again

Everyone out there have a safe and a happy New Year!!!!.

Please give us your opinion of the condition of the ship in general and the cabins & eating areas like the MDR & Muranos in particular.

Hoping your New Year has started well! :)

Its funny how everything is put into perspective. When Century was introduced loads of people swore they would never sail on a ship so big.

Yes I agree, it does put it into perspective plus I simply also stated my own personal intent!

Don't you just luv this forum for allowing one to do so!

I also agree with your statement that the Century could be gone even sooner if they do get an offer for her..We can but hope (and of course write to Celebrity asking them to keep her and give her a refurbishment) that she will ultimately stay with the fleet but I do not plan on holding my breath!

Have great cruisin'! :)

Please give us your opinion of the condition of the ship in general and the cabins & eating areas like the MDR & Muranos in particular.

Hoping your New Year has started well! :)

Great review and pics of the whole deal at Mike's site see for yourself http://www.thepreismans.com/

Great review and pics of the whole deal at Mike's site see for yourself http://www.thepreismans.com/

Great review - just luv all the photos....

Seems some features were not up to par like a couch & chair in a Sky Suite that required cushions on the seats just to sit on them...:O and the bathroom door that almost hits the toilet when opened...

Is this normal in most cabins on the Century or just Sky Suites?

Wld still like to hear another couples opinion though on the condition of the cabin they were in and the MDR & Murano also on Century.

Thanks for suggesting I read the 'review' of the Hawaiian 15 day cruise..:)

Seems some features were not up to par like a couch & chair in a Sky Suite that required cushions on the seats just to sit on them...:O and the bathroom door that almost hits the toilet when opened...

Wld still like to hear another couples opinion though on the condition of the cabin they were in and the MDR & Murano also on Century.

I can tell you this.

My chair was great. ;)

The door hitting the toilet is a common in DECK 12 sky suites. Not sure about the "Sky" suites on the lower deck. Not a problem I was concerned about. But as with all doors on a ship they are quite heavy.

Mike was in the older part (first build) and we were in the Add on rooms so they didn't feel it was a big enough issue to change the engineering when they added on the new rooms back in 2006.

What a spectacular review! Well Done!! Thank you for sharing. We just booked the Century for Sept and I was really concerned about her age and how small the ship is, but after seeing your review, I'm not worried at all.

What a spectacular review! Well Done!! Thank you for sharing. We just booked the Century for Sept and I was really concerned about her age and how small the ship is, but after seeing your review, I'm not worried at all.

Need to put the record straight here. MIKE is not me. He's a great friend and he and his wife Carol do that site. I repeat not me. lol but I will pass on your comments next time I am talking with him.

We were on the same cruise and our cabin (9191) was in great shape. We asked for an egg crate for our bed and it was very comfortable with that addition. We never sat on the sofa as we spent so little time in the cabin. The bathroom was in excellent shape as well. A little touching up with a tiny paint brush in one or two areas and the cabin would have been perfect. The balcony was very nice as well.

We chose Select Dining and ate early every evening, sitting by the aft windows with a lovely sunset view. The MDR looked beautiful to us and our service was great. Best sommelier ever.

We found the ship to be elegant, lovely, traditional, full of old world charm with loads of dark wood that is missing from the newer Celebrity ships, which we like as well.

I like bigger ships in general, but if the Century goes to dry dock maybe they are considering it for "new" ports for 2014... Like I said, they have a huge success with the Expedition, there may be room for another boutique ship that does one of a kind ports.

Maybe a medium sized one that fits the company business model.

Agree it is a possibility. But still might be limited. Not sure it would be small enough for Antarctica and to dock there. Otherwise Infinity works if there is no docking/tendering ability. Potentially too much bigger than Expedition. But, good thoughts! I have never been on Century but if used to sail to smaller accessiblity ports of call would be a plus and a reason for us (in our preferences) to consider her.

Got off the Century yesterday.

It is in fine shape. I had SV 1251 and friends had 1249OV which was as big as a suite all on deck 12 , my favorite deck.

MDR food was outstanding. We ate in Murano's on Christmas Eve and New Years Eve. Excellent service and the Dover Sole was the best I have ever eaten.

Hope they do the major drydock in 2014 as a Guest Relation person told me and not sell it.

Got off the Century yesterday.

It is in fine shape. I had SV 1251 and friends had 1249OV which was as big as a suite all on deck 12 , my favorite deck.

MDR food was outstanding. We ate in Murano's on Christmas Eve and New Years Eve. Excellent service and the Dover Sole was the best I have ever eaten.

Hope they do the major drydock in 2014 as a Guest Relation person told me and not sell it.

Thanks for posting..!

What was your impression of the cabin(s) you had or saw in general and the bedding, mattress, carpeting & bathroom in particular please?

Thanking you in advance for your observation & opinion.. :)

Archived