Century leaves the fleet?

Kruizefan

Speaking of earlier Celebrity ships, I recently came across a picture of a ship docked at the new terminal in Ravenna and the name on the ship was Zenith. In the port schedule Ravenna is listed as its home port. Is this the Zenith I and my family sailed on to Bermuda many years ago?

TUIcruises - a joint venture between Celebrity and TUI

Ships are named:

Mein Schiff 1 (= my ship)

Mein Schiff 2

The name of the german Cruiseline is TUI Cruises, which belongs half to TUI and RCI

Actually TUICruises is a joint venture of TUI and RCCL (being the mother company of X and RCI). The original contract gave TUICruises an option to take over three vessels (although no names were included in this contract).

Last year on the Silhouette´s pre inaugural Fain and Hanrahan were asked about the Century and TUICruises but no comment on this topic.

In the meantime TUICruises ordered one new built at STX Turku and has an option for a second one (the option is expiring by the end of this year). So far no news about the option being turned into a contract for a second new built.

steamboats

Speaking of earlier Celebrity ships, I recently came across a picture of a ship docked at the new terminal in Ravenna and the name on the ship was Zenith. In the port schedule Ravenna is listed as its home port. Is this the Zenith I and my family sailed on to Bermuda many years ago?

Yes, same ship:)

One wonders why they would not consider Baltimore as a port then. Mercury seemed to always sail full when she operated here. RC is bringing Grandure to Baltimore next season, presumably as a second ship for several months so the market must be there. Maybe it is just easier logistically to operate solely out of the mega ports.

... Cal

Actually, Enchantment is leaving in April 2013, and Grandeur is arriving May 3, 2013. Enchantment is going to do the 3- and 4- night runs from Ft Lauderdale.

We would love to have Celebrity come back to Baltimore.:confused:

But, until then, we are enjoying RCL. :)

Irish travel,

That is interesting comment.:cool:

All I know is that I wll be on the Century again for a 15 day Panama Canal cruise over the December Holidays. We have a great roll call, and looking forward to a fantastic cruise. I have a soft spot for the Century. It was my very first cruise in this ship. It got me hooked on cruising and on Celebrity Cruise Line.:D

Actually TUICruises is a joint venture of TUI and RCCL (being the mother company of X and RCI)...
I've been told that the Hotel Departments of TUI Cruises are run by TUI AG, but the Marine Departments, including security, are still employed by Celebrity.

Thom

Actually, Enchantment is leaving in April 2013, and Grandeur is arriving May 3, 2013. Enchantment is going to do the 3- and 4- night runs from Ft Lauderdale.

We would love to have Celebrity come back to Baltimore.:confused:

But, until then, we are enjoying RCL. :)

Hi:) are you sure about Ft. Lauderdale? I have friends who cruise

with Royal all the time and they told me Enchantment will be doing

3/4 nighters out of Port Canaveral, not Port Everglades.

Actually, it is Port Canaveral....just found it on Royal's

website.

Thanks ... I missed that transition entirely!

The non-stretched Grandeur always seemed to me to have more room in public venues and be generally less crowded with roughly the same public venues and 151 fewer staterooms. On my last trip on Enchantment, if you wanted a seat for the evening shows, you had to get there at least 45 min early.

I guess this is getting pretty darned off topic for the -X- forum, huh? So, for the sake of forum integrity ... Celebrity, please come back to Baltimore!:rolleyes:

Enjoyed our cruise on the Century. The food, service, entertainment and ports were wonderful, however, the ship needs a refurbishment - especially the cabins. We thought about booking the Panama Canal cruise on the Century, but decided against it because of the cabins. The carpeting, bathrooms (especially the shower stalls) and bedding need to be replaced or renovated. The cabins were clean and had much better storage space than on the Solstice class ships, but the environment just felt tired and worn. We did the back stage tour and were told by some of the performers that the new Celebrity CEO had been on board last week and was asking about renovations that need to be made to the Celebrity Theater. As mentioned in prior posts, he toured the entire ship for feedback.

hurwitz,

Thanks for your quick update about the Century.

I can live with a stateroom that is not band new. As long as the food, service is

great I am a happy cruiser. This was the only year the Canal cruise works for my group of six.

Hope they do a major renovation and you get the Panama Cruise of your dreams.

Yes, same ship:)

Thanks for the confirmation, much appreciated. The Zenith looked like it had a new coat of brilliant white paint and was very striking in the picture, one would have thought it was a recent ship.

I've been told that the Hotel Departments of TUI Cruises are run by TUI AG, but the Marine Departments, including security, are still employed by Celebrity.

Thom

Thom,

I´m not sure about this but I think it must be a separate company... I can confirm that lots of the former crew are still working on the ships (I´ve been on the MS1). And it was funny to see a sheet of paper saying "Save the Waves" plus X and RCI logos :D.

But as for the officers there are mainly German captians and officers working on the bridge and I doubt that they are employed by X.

steamboats

Hi:) are you sure about Ft. Lauderdale? I have friends who cruise

with Royal all the time and they told me Enchantment will be doing

3/4 nighters out of Port Canaveral, not Port Everglades.

Actually, it is Port Canaveral....just found it on Royal's

website.

For me - all those Florida ports kind of blend together. I guess there's a couple hundred miles between the two? :o

... We thought about booking the Panama Canal cruise on the Century, but decided against it because of the cabins. The carpeting, bathrooms (especially the shower stalls) and bedding need to be replaced or renovated...

Sorry to hear about that as I have booked a Panana Canal Tour on Century in February 2014.

P.

I can see Century moving to Azamara within the next 12 months to be honest, and current sailings to be continued, but under Azamara brand.

Why would you think that? The ship is so much larger than either Quest or Journey.

I could, however, see Xpedition going under the Azamara brand.

Why would you think that? The ship is so much larger than either Quest or Journey.

I could, however, see Xpedition going under the Azamara brand.

Are you suggesting that the Century may replace the Xpedition?

The rules governing who and what can "cruise" the Galapagos are extremely strict. There would be no way IMHO a ship as large as the Century would be given permission to replace the Xpedition.

One thing that should go in Century's favor is her smaller size -- greatly contributing to her mobility. Until they finally complete and open the new locks, she's one of only five ships in the fleet that can be moved through the Panama Canal. I agree with the folks who have suggested that X should find a "boutique" route for her -- going to select places that larger ships cannot go. :cool:

Hi,

= X = released her new deployment this morning, ( viewable on their web site, I'm sure)and it looks like she's around till summer 201 4 without a single day off from today onwards !!!:eek:

She has sailings and itineraries programmed right thru till arrival Vancouver 18th May2014 following the now routine 8 days Pacific coastal cruise.

She's also homeported in SanDiego from 7th October 2013 until 4th February 2014 when she terminates a Panama full transit in LosAngeles ,her new homeport till the 2014 Alaska season. Winter 2013-2014 displays a good mix of 15 days Hawaii r.t. & 15 day full Panama r.t.( in/out of Everglades), from California.

Interestingly, there will be 5 seven nights Pacific coastal r.t. LosAngeles sailings April/May 2014...a sure sign that Princess's similar experimentation this year and next, out of L.A., is a success and bears duplicating.:)

Without a single day of yard drydock visit ( now since May 2010 in Marseilles ), one can 1/ express worries about long term maintenance:( & 2/surmise that following summer Alaska 2014 season, she simply leaves the fleet as a pretty worn out lady....wherever she ends up going to :confused:......or a full blown major rejuvenation/refit/upgrade/"etcetcetc" yard visit is scheduled in Esquimalt at the end of 2014 Alaska season...IMO only.

It's also a somewhat premature itinerary release for Celebrity as the e-mails I got cover Millie (*),Solly as well as Century, all the way to May 2014.,and Infy's SouthAmerica voyages as well (ending in Miami 30th March 2014).

* Millie's winter 2013-2014 is not included, a logical step as she's on a ''1st season mission'' in Asia 2012-213 and it's still unknown how well this will pan out and where she'll be deployed next winter.

Cheers

Are you suggesting that the Century may replace the Xpedition?

The rules governing who and what can "cruise" the Galapagos are extremely strict. There would be no way IMHO a ship as large as the Century would be given permission to replace the Xpedition.

I agree also, think the last place it would go would be Azamara, just wouldn't fit into their plan...

Hi,

= X = released her new deployment this morning, ( viewable on their web site, I'm sure)and it looks like she's around till summer 201 4 without a single day off from today onwards !!!:eek:

So all of the clear days in Spring 2013 that we (you) had her able to go to Victoria (Esquimalt) have now been filled with "Sailing Dates" ? :(

Archived