Century leaves the fleet?

Kruizefan

Here´s google´s translation:

Cruises France: A second ship and new ambitions

02/10/2012

File (s): CDF Cruises France

Send

Print

Celebrity Century could join the CDF in 2014. Credit: CELEBRITY CRUISES. Celebrity Century could join the CDF in 2014 Credit: CELEBRITY CRUISES

The French company, subsidiary of the Spanish Pullmantur (itself a subsidiary of Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. U.S.) confirms that it will operate a second ship in June 2014. It will support the Horizon, built in 1991 and started its activity in the colors of CDF in April after a major renovation in Marseille. This 46,800 ton ship, which has 720 cabins, has succeeded in memory Bleu de France (37,000 tons, 374 cabins), with which France Cruises began its activity in 2008. The arrival of a second ship alongside the Horizon should allow the company to continue its growth. Thus, after passing 25,000 passengers in 2011 to 52,000 passengers this year, CDF aims to reach 55,000 passengers in 2013 and in 2014, moving to 100,000 passengers and, if possible, to 130,000 in 2015. The company could then represent 16 to 18% of the French market of the cruise, against 11 to 12% today. This implies, in particular, CDF operates at least one ship in the second year, which will also be the colors of the French brand, only during the summer (which is the case today with the Horizon who sailed for the French brand between April and November). Depending on the size of the next boat, it is even considered, if the second unit is like Horizon average tonnage, use a third vessel.

The Horizon Marseille (© SEA AND MARINE - VINCENT GROIZELEAU)

A choice of three liners

For now, the choice of the second ship CDF is not stopped, several hypotheses being considered. The first is, as was the case for Horizon to remove a unit in the fleet of Pullmantur. It may include the Zenith (1992), sistership of Horizon. Time, we also considered the resumption of Monarch or Sovereign (of the Seas), two larger units (73,000 tons in 1200 cabins) built in Saint-Nazaire and delivered in 1991 and 1988 Royal Caribbean International (a subsidiary of the main group RCL belongs Pullmantur). The first was paid in March 2009 and the second Pullmantur end his career in March 2013 RCI before joining his older brother in the Spanish company. But ultimately, it is rather the recovery of the third and last ship of this series, the Majesty of the Seas (1992), which would be studied, his replacement being correctly predicted in 2014 by the first ship of the new Sunshine Project. Finally, another hypothesis emerges from Celebrity Cruises, another subsidiary of RCL which operated behind the Horizon and Zenith. Celebrity Century (71 545 barrels, 875 cabins), commissioned in 1995, he will also be forced to leave Celebrity Cruises fleet which will focus on his most recent units classes Millennium and Solstice.

The Zenith (© PULLMANTUR)

The Majesty of the Seas (RCI ©)

Advantages and disadvantages

The Century has been seriously renovated two years ago and, despite its reputation as a "wheeler" when there is a bit of sea, it is a beautiful boat. Offering slightly more capacity than the Horizon (155 additional cabins), it would allow CDF to stay in the same type of template, recovering passing a unit rather upscale. The operating cost of the ship is also relatively high, implying probably are on average a little more expensive than the Horizon. Zenith offer the solution for its advantage of providing a homogeneous fleet CDF, therefore easier to use. However, the integration of a unit size Majesty would challenge for the company a much more important in terms of filling. And, until the increase in customer CDF is sufficient, it would probably be necessary to complete the occupation of the ship significantly, in its infancy, with foreign cruise, forcing the ship to embark on other ports, such as Spain and Italy (and thus limit the potential routes) the risk of distorting the proposed product, including the appearance 100% francophone.

Celebrity Century (© CELEBRITY CRUISES)

Partial internationalization

However, CDF does not show hostile to the internationalization of its customer, if it is to be limited. Already, some foreign passengers boarded the Horizon and this trend could increase in the coming years. "CDF is a French product, but it must be internationally known as a brand, setting limits, however. I think a maximum of 20% of foreign passengers is a good number to keep the nature of our product and allow international customers to enjoy the art of French living, enjoy the atmosphere, itineraries and excursions "Antoine explains Lacarrière. The CEO wants CDF, moreover, strengthen the brand positioning: "The mark must be the highest possible and people come because it is France Cruises and behind the brand, there is a promise" . The goal is to continue to improve the product and stand out from the competition, not only keeping the formula "all inclusive", but also working, for example, routes and quality tours with longer cruises.

The Horizon Marseille (© CDF)

Two ships, two different concepts

The arrival of a second ship in 2014 could be an opportunity for CDF to develop several segments. The company is considering, in fact, recover with Horizon mind "Bleu de France", named after its first ship, with the return of long cruises and the development of new routes matching a range of excursions reworked . The success of the Odyssey cruise of 11 days between Marseille and the Greek Islands next year on the horizon, shows that there is a customer waiting for this type of product. This is logical because finally CDF has long been on traditional destinations, focusing on the Western Mediterranean, resulting in long waiting regulars for new circuits.

Dedicated to a clientele loyal to cruise warned, the concept of 'France Vintage Cruise "is backed by the more traditional, proposed on the second ship. Positioned on classic Mediterranean crossings, it could be offered to new customers who discover the cruise brand with more accessible prices. In winter, the second ship would be taken over by Pullmantur to be operated in the Caribbean and Latin America. As for Horizon, it will be seen, when it is given to CDF throughout the year, which will be chosen for positioning the boat in winter, knowing that he could start this season at the end of 2013. Track Caribbean, initiated in 2008/2009 during the first year of operation Bleu de France and then abandoned, is discussed. But if she is attractive, this hypothesis is confronted with some problems: First, the company must avoid internal competition with its parent, Pullmantur, the Caribbean is the preserve in winter. Then competition Guadeloupe and Martinique is very strong, including the strengthening of Costa this winter and the arrival of MSC. And finally, management of air transport, with hundreds or even more than 1,000 passengers every week route between Paris and the Caribbean, it is a complex operation.

Le Bleu of France in the Caribbean during the winter 2008/2009 (© CDF)

Decisions taken in the coming weeks

Pullmantur and CDF are currently pursuing studies and reflections on the new development strategy and the means that will be associated decisions to apparently be announced in the month of November. The exercise is in any case as complex interweave of technical, commercial and operational, and logical group. All in a difficult context for the cruise industry, which is experiencing a particularly hard. Even if the passenger margin has probably decreased, as all operators because of the cumulative effect of the crisis, the sinking of the Concordia and overcapacity of ships in Europe this year, CDF was probably less affected than other companies in the economy. First, because it has only ship to complete, it can rely on a loyal customer base and the arrival of the Horizon, the largest Bleu de France range and allowing tariff wider allowed CDF to lower its price immediately call 10 to 15% while increasing the rate of cabins highest ranges in the same proportions. For 2013, most operators, including CDF, hoping that the market will be "calmer", a prerequisite for maintaining the quality of the product ships. Companies rely on such market growth combined with a slight decrease in capacity in Europe in 2013. "The year was difficult for the cruise industry but the market is still far from having reached maturity. We will continue in France to have high growth rates of the order of 10 to 12% per year, Cruise France has a role to play in this development, "explains Antoine Lacarrière.

However, CDF is careful not to succumb to delusions of grandeur, although the arrival of a second ship, then maybe a third, will be a real challenge significantly strengthening its position on the French market, point may be closer to MSC in 2015, number 2 behind Costa Cruise France. "You must go with humility. We do not intend to become a leader in the French market. We will develop normally, while going step by step. "

The Horizon Marseille (© SEA AND MARINE - VINCENT GROIZELEAU)New! Click the words above to edit and view alternate translations. Dismiss

Google Translate for Business:Translator ToolkitWebsite TranslatorGlobal Market Finder

Turn off instant translationAbout G

Here´s google´s translation:

Cruises France: A second ship and new ambitions

02/10/2012

Celebrity Century could join the CDF in 2014 Credit: CELEBRITY CRUISES

Thank you for posting a real "rumor" The writing on the wall may be in French but seems to be real enough. We have sailed many times on Century and will be sad to see her go.

At the same time, Century is a product of a past century and is notably different from the character of the S-Class and Solsticized M-Class.

ASixth posed this question on Mr. Bayley's Q&A forum. The reply was that Mr. Bayley has recently been onboard Century with his team -- and they are currently evaluating all of their options. From what I could tell, things could go either way for Century, at this point.

Yeah, I was part of that thread and I must admit that his answer was vague. To me, reading between the lines, it doesn't look good for Century. If I had to bet, I'd say that they'll ditch her soon. Don't forget, they ditched the older girls to Mein Schiff and Pullmantur, but all had extensive refurbs in the process, so regardless of whether they spend a ton of money or not, that doesn't necessarily mean that she will stay in the fleet. Sad.

Thanks to Kruizefan for the translation, and I guess I'm also reading that RC will pull the Majesty in 2014? Is that what I'm reading?

We just got off the 16-25 September 2012 Century cruise--the last one to Alaska this year. Nine days and WONDERFUL weather! The Captain announced (at a Captains Club party) that Century was headed to San Diego to do it's Hawaii runs and then will be refitted in May and stay in the fleet. This is the cruise where the boss checked out the ship in Vancouver. So who knows......:rolleyes:

It will be interesting to see what will be done in the Century's extended dry dock next April. She's scheduled for about a month. I don't think Celebrity would want to put that much time & money in her to sell the next year.

Her sisters are both with the German line -- forgot the name :o

The name of the german Cruiseline is TUI Cruises, which belongs half to TUI and RCI

You also said that he "surely knows" and "is choosing not to say". It appeared that you had made up your mind that the decision had already been made and that he was not being forthcoming with us. I can only understand you by what you wrote, not by what you meant to say. Sorry if I misunderstood.

I should have said he "probably knows"........;)

And I should have added "in my opinion".......

Mercury used to run for several months per year out of the Port of Baltimore. The port has size limitations preventing any other class of -X- ship from servicing Baltimore. Meanwhile, other cruise lines (including Royal) are having great success at the mid-coast port. RC has Enchantment home ported there 12 months a year and appears to be moving Grandure back for several peak months next year. Perhaps a life extension for Century could permit service to this and other lesser ports like Norfolk and Charleston?

TUI Cruises is the company. It would make good sense if the third Galaxy class ends up as Mein Schiff 3

Yes, that's the name of the cruise line. I was in Monaco a few weeks ago and one of their ships were in port. Probably the old Mercury as I believe the Galaxy had an extended hull and is/was longer than Mercury. I sailed on the Mercury twice and loved that ship!!

Perhaps a life extension for Century could permit service to this and other lesser ports like Norfolk and Charleston?

From your lips to Celebrity's ears!! We loved having Mercury in Charleston, even if only briefly. Being able to sail from a port 20 minutes from my house was a dream!!

Century is my favorite ship that is still sailing with Celebrity. It has the best staff. The service is excellent....much better than the larger ships. Century still has the elegent feel. It is very different from theM and S class ships. It is more like the Zenith/Horizon type ships. They were wonderful. The furnishings, art work, service, food were far superior than the large ships today. That was in the days prior to rcl acquiring them. Century is refined. You do not feel crowded. I even liked Century before the retrofit of verandas.

Even if they do upgrade the ship. Transferring it to pullmantur will still keep it in the company. They won't lose money.

I know that cruising today has a very competitive market. Younger people like the large glitzy ships with lots of activities. Since they are the future of cruising, Celebrity will probably drop the older ships.

I like the M class ships. As they get older, will they be the next to go?

It has the best staff. The service is excellent....much better than the larger ships. ... It is more like the Zenith/Horizon type ships. They were wonderful. The furnishings, art work, service, food were far superior than the large ships today. That was in the days ...

I have found that the service (and even food & entertainment) are highly dependent on the personality of the senior staff and the ship's character changes over time as staff moves. Our best ever -X- experience was on Equinox because her senior staff (Hotel Director, first level managers, head chef, and even the ships officers) were everywhere, all the time. You could hardly walk the ship without bumping into one and being engaged in some small conversation. i think the Hotel Director and Head Chef came to every single evening Elite cocktail time and the hotel director came to most Elite breakfasts. This reflected on the rest of the crew and everything they did.

Loved Mercury, Horizon and some far older, far smaller ships of yesteryear but I've not seen size as a necessary negative. Plenty of room on the Solstice class; never felt crowded.

Yes, that's the name of the cruise line. I was in Monaco a few weeks ago and one of their ships were in port. Probably the old Mercury as I believe the Galaxy had an extended hull and is/was longer than Mercury. I sailed on the Mercury twice and loved that ship!!
Galaxy (Mein Schiff 1) and Mercury (Mein Schiff 2) are identical sisters [77713 GRT, 866 ft long]; their older half-sister Century was smaller [70606 GRT, 815 long]. I've sail on all of these, and was on Mercury's farewell cruise.

Thom

Mercury used to run for several months per year out of the Port of Baltimore. The port has size limitations preventing any other class of -X- ship from servicing Baltimore...
I'm not convinced this is true. Height above water line data is difficult to come by, but as best I've been able to find out Mercury and the M-class ships all run between 180-181 feet above water line [Century is about 175 ft]. If I recall correctly Key bridge is 189 feet above water, virtually the same as the Sunshine Skyway [the Annapolis bridge is a couple of feet higher]. M-ships are 956 feet longer versus Mercury's 866 feet, but the Enchantment of the Seas (currently in Baltimore) is 990 feet long.

Thom

I'm not convinced this is true. Height above water line data is difficult to come by, but as best I've been able to find out Mercury and the M-class ships all run between 180-181 feet above water line [Century is about 175 ft]. If I recall correctly Key bridge is 189 feet above water, virtually the same as the Sunshine Skyway [the Annapolis bridge is a couple of feet higher]. M-ships are 956 feet longer versus Mercury's 866 feet, but the Enchantment of the Seas (currently in Baltimore) is 990 feet long.

Thom

One wonders why they would not consider Baltimore as a port then. Mercury seemed to always sail full when she operated here. RC is bringing Grandure to Baltimore next season, presumably as a second ship for several months so the market must be there. Maybe it is just easier logistically to operate solely out of the mega ports.

... Cal

TUI Cruises is the company. It would make good sense if the third Galaxy class ends up as Mein Schiff 3

Actually, it wouldn't-- they've been successful enough that they've ordered

their first newbuilding from STX Finland. If they do move it CDF would

make the most sense, with the recession in Spain so strong it wouldn't be

a great time to enlarge the fleet there.

I'm not convinced this is true. Height above water line data is difficult to come by, but as best I've been able to find out Mercury and the M-class ships all run between 180-181 feet above water line [Century is about 175 ft]. If I recall correctly Key bridge is 189 feet above water, virtually the same as the Sunshine Skyway [the Annapolis bridge is a couple of feet higher]. M-ships are 956 feet longer versus Mercury's 866 feet, but the Enchantment of the Seas (currently in Baltimore) is 990 feet long...
I did a little more checking and found a MD Highway site that said Key Bridge Baltimore has 185 feet clearance. I still think that M-class would fit under the bridge, but not as easily as I thought. Not a lot of tidal action in Baltimore [generally only one foot between high and low tide], but I don't know what vertical safety margin Celebrity would require. Checking further Sunshine Skyway is spec-ed at 191 feet clearance, and RCI is running Radiance class under it.

Thom

Archived