Buying EUROs Onboard Destiny/Sunshine?

TravisBickle

Good day,

I did try a search on this title, but could not find any thread(s) that answered my questions.

We are thinking of taking the "Sunshine" in Oct, 2013 from Barcelona to Venice. Once we debark in Venice, we plan to stay in town for a few days and then fly home.

Q1 - Can we buy EUROs onboard the ship prior to debarkation? Presuming there is still a EuroZone at that time, LOL.

Q2 - for anyone who has purchased EUROs onboard ship - is the rate better/worse than doing so ashore? I imagine it must be more convenient since you do not have to hunt down a bank/FOREX shop.

Q3 - we will be traveling light (because of airline baggage issues). Does the onboard laundromat take EUROs/US coins/Something else?

Thanks in advance.

If the Sunshine is the same as the Breeze, there will be 2 ATMs aboard. One dispenses Euros and the other US dollars.

However, there is a fee associated with the ATM transactions so you would be better off using ATMs on shore, especially if you have an ATM card from a bank that does not charge you for transactions outside its network.

I did not use the laundry, but believe that it takes either US coins or a card that you buy from the customer service desk.

If the Sunshine is the same as the Breeze, there will be 2 ATMs aboard. One dispenses Euros and the other US dollars.

However, there is a fee associated with the ATM transactions so you would be better off using ATMs on shore, especially if you have an ATM card from a bank that does not charge you for transactions outside its network.

I did not use the laundry, but believe that it takes either US coins or a card that you buy from the customer service desk.

Don't you mean you mean that does charge instead of does NOT?

Get your Euros on LAND at an ATM, not from the ship. They have a poor exchange rate as well as a hefty transaction fee. You'll be better off with your ATM card and a local machine in Barcelona or Venice. Or on any other port in the Euro zone.

The washing machines will take U.S. coins.

Don't you mean you mean that does charge instead of does NOT?

No, I meant does not charge you for transactions outside of their network. There are at least 2 banks in New Jersey who do not charge transaction fees anywhere.

I always get Euros from and based ATMs.

The exchange rate on the ship will be about the worst possible and the exchange desk is usually limited in day and hours of operation.

The ATMs on the ship sometimes run out of money and/or are out of service. If the ship loses Internet access, forget it.

I would expect the self-serve launderettes to take your Sail and Sign card, and not cash. It seems to be the direction Carnival is headed. There should be laundry specials during the cruise where the ship will do your laundry at a fixed price per bag.

We will be cruising on the new Carnival Sunshine long before your anticipated sailing and will try to report all.

Good day,

I did try a search on this title, but could not find any thread(s) that answered my questions.

We are thinking of taking the "Sunshine" in Oct, 2013 from Barcelona to Venice. Once we debark in Venice, we plan to stay in town for a few days and then fly home.

Q1 - Can we buy EUROs onboard the ship prior to debarkation? Presuming there is still a EuroZone at that time, LOL.

Q2 - for anyone who has purchased EUROs onboard ship - is the rate better/worse than doing so ashore? I imagine it must be more convenient since you do not have to hunt down a bank/FOREX shop.

Q3 - we will be traveling light (because of airline baggage issues). Does the onboard laundromat take EUROs/US coins/Something else?

Thanks in advance.

Don't even think about getting them on board. Your best exchange rate is at an ATM. Just make sure that you have a 4 digit PIN .

The Bancomats(Italian for ATM) in Italy do NOT charge for using them. The only charges will be from the bank you use for your ATM card. Make sure you tell your bank you are traveling or they will block the transaction!

You cannot change money inside a bank in Italy just use the ATMs as they always give the best rates. IF you try to use your card and you get a message saying that it can't be used for international exchanges, just take the card and go to another machine!

I agree that the ship is the WORST place to use for changing money!!

Call your own bank before you go and ask if they can get you EUROs before you leave!! Our bank had a very low exchange rate. I just estimated how much we thought we would need, went to bank and they had it for me the next day to pick up!!:D

I just want to echo all the above on avoiding the ship for money exchange. They charge a hefty fee (usually $20) on top of the awful exchange rate. We have done three Med cruises and all the ships have been like this. Personally, I don't do the ATM thing. I just budget out money as I feel needed and get my Euros at home at my local Amex place. I know a lot of people do not like to do this, but I have found it pretty easy. If it comes down to it, you can find money exchange places all over in the ports. It really isn't that big of a problem. Three trips to Europe and I have never used an ATM. I am sure you could save a little by doing it the other way, but it isn't a bother to me.

Archived