Century Drydock - 5 Added Sail Dates

curtdesilets

I wouldn't sell her down the river just yet, but I hate when signs point to a favored ship getting the pink slip and being sold off to another line. In our 14-year cruising career, it has happened to us twice. We've sailed the Century twice and really liked her. It would be like =X= to get rid of her and only have the Millie class and Solstice class representing the line. Hey Celebrity, some of us do enjoy the older and smaller ships!

Let's hope that they may perhaps be changing her drydock dates, but alas, this kind of news may be spelling the end.

Celebrity decided NOT TO DRY-DOCK Century in April-May of 2013.

They just released a set of 5 cruises that will replace the dry dock period.

One can only surmise that Celebrity has decided to sell her rather than fix her.

This sucks! :mad:

Hi Curtdesliets,

While it's possible the added dates could add to the "speculation" that Century might be a goner... at this point, to call it "Breaking News" is quite a stretch. Until Celebrity issues a Press Release, I'm not going to assume anything.

FYI - Im changing the title of your thread, as this is your opinion, and unconfirmed.

Hi Curtdesliets,

While it's possible the added dates could add to the "speculation" that Century might be a goner... at this point, to call it "Breaking News" is quite a stretch. Until Celebrity issues a Press Release, I'm not going to assume anything.

FYI - Im changing the title of your thread, as this is your opinion, and unconfirmed.

I totally understand, Andy.

I think the emotion of pretty much "knowing" what this is all about, got to me. I am of the "Save The Century" crowd, and was really interested in what they were planning on doing during here supposed 5 week dry dock.

Perhaps they are delaying the dry dock, but I doubt it as all future dates are already set and selling.

ASnyone with firm knowledge, please chime in. Thanks!

Celebrity decided NOT TO DRY-DOCK Century in April-May of 2013.

They just released a set of 5 cruises that will replace the dry dock period.

One can only surmise that Celebrity has decided to sell her rather than fix her.

This sucks! :mad:

I have to admit, to me changing a scheduled gap, likely to accommodate a dry dock and inserting a whack of new cruises relatively at the last minute sure makes it look like they've decided to leave her as she is and sell her.

Host Andy, wanna bet a beer on it?:p I say she's up for sale... :(

I have to admit, to me changing a scheduled gap, likely to accommodate a dry dock and inserting a whack of new cruises relatively at the last minute sure makes it look like they've decided to leave her as she is and sell her.

Host Andy, wanna bet a beer on it?:p I say she's up for sale... :(

Up the Ante...

Bet a cruise!

She is probably going to be sold or commissioned to another Royal Caribbean owed line, like that German cruise Line that now has the old Mercury.

I am very disappointed. :(

Up the Ante...

Bet a cruise!

She is probably going to be sold or commissioned to another Royal Caribbean owed line, like that German cruise Line that now has the old Mercury.

I am very disappointed. :(

Me too in a way, we both had good times on that ship eh? :)

Still, I have to admit, I do prefer larger ships in general... more "stuff" do do so long as there aren't tens of thousands of people crammed aboard.

2remvib.jpg

I'm of two minds on this most recent announcement about Century. On one hand, I'm so thrilled that RCCL and X have responded to our pleas to put a ship back on the west coast (even for a limited time). But, on the other hand, I can see the same "writing on the wall" as other posters. On our Hawaii cruise last spring, I was sad to see how run-down X had allowed Century to become. On that cruise, we were told that she was going to have a major refurb and stay in the fleet -- starting with replacing the cloudy windows in the Horizons Lounge. Now, it looks like the folks at corporate may have changed their minds. It would just be nice if they would let us know what they have decided to do. :confused:

Us and curtdesilets enjoying the free Elite happy hour on the Century this past June... that's why were all smiles!! :D

Especially the Elite happy hour! I had high hopes for the dry dock, but it looks like she's going the way of the dodo bird. But she'll still be around another couple years at least. Hope you two are doing swell. What's your next cruise going to be?

It could also be that Celebrity has decided to do a more extensive renovation than the previously scheduled dry dock would allow, or that the shipyard they were planning on using would be unable to perform the modifications, or that Celebrity feel that they can perform the work better and at lower cost elsewhere ........

For those that love this class of ship make sure you let Mr. Bayley know by booking a cruise on her, then writing his office and letting him know that you booked the century because of your affection for this type of ship! I firmly feel the Century has plenty of life left in her and that she should act as Celebrity's pathfinder. Longer cruises to smaller ports and places where the Millenium or Solstice class ships cannot visit. Perhaps some Grand Voyages or a World cruise to put X firmly against HAL :D

LONG LIVE THE CENTURY!!!!!!!

I hope that Century doesn't leave the fleet. I know I'm totally in the minority here, but I hate the large ships! Will never sail RC or Princess - they are huge. It would just be nice if those of us that like smaller ships would have some choices other than the expensive ones. I still sail Holland but would like more options.

Sue

I hope that Century doesn't leave the fleet. I know I'm totally in the minority here, but I hate the large ships! Will never sail RC or Princess - they are huge. It would just be nice if those of us that like smaller ships would have some choices other than the expensive ones. I still sail Holland but would like more options.

Sue

My favourite ship classes in order are:

Celebrity Century class

Celebrity Millenium class

RCI Radiance class

RCI Vision class

Celebrity Solstice class

HAL Statendam/Rotterdam class

HAL Vista/Signature class

Princess Crown class

Princess Grand class

I have not sailed Princess Sun or Island class, so can't comment on them, but guessing they might go above the Crown and Grand classes due to size and layout.

I sailed one time on a Voyager class (Mariner of the seas) and it was my least favourite ship of all time! Way too much like a shopping mall at sea!

70-90000 tons is the sweet spot for me. Enough options to keep me busy, but small enough to see the same faces multiple times a day and allow a nice connection to the ocean from most public spaces.

Especially the Elite happy hour! I had high hopes for the dry dock, but it looks like she's going the way of the dodo bird. But she'll still be around another couple years at least. Hope you two are doing swell. What's your next cruise going to be?

Things are pretty good.

Next cruise 14 day new years on the Eclipse :D... not a Sky Suite though... just a D Balcony... :(

We were just on the re-po cruise...Vancouver to San Diego...and we love this ship...our 2nd time on board...BUT...she does need "re-hab"...cabins...even the Royal Suite which our friends had...were looking badly worn...old, flat carpets, "banged" up wood surfaces, and old, dirty coverings on the chairs, sofas etc.

BUT...she is a great size of ship...and the staff are excellent. We had a medical emergency on board...and everyone treated us so well.!!! I do hope they keep "her"...as she is special!!! LuAnn

We were just on the re-po cruise...Vancouver to San Diego...and we love this ship...our 2nd time on board...BUT...she does need "re-hab"...cabins...even the Royal Suite which our friends had...were looking badly worn...old, flat carpets, "banged" up wood surfaces, and old, dirty coverings on the chairs, sofas etc.

BUT...she is a great size of ship...and the staff are excellent. We had a medical emergency on board...and everyone treated us so well.!!! I do hope they keep "her"...as she is special!!! LuAnn

Hi Luann:

Sorry I missed you on the cruise. I put my back out a couple of days before we sailed, and missed the CC events.

I was sailing solo this time and had an inside cabin. It was in excellent shape, with reasonably new carpets and good bedding. I was happy as a clam there, which was good, because for two days I didn't get out of my stateroom :p.

This was my first time on Century and I loved her. She is a great size and has a wonderful crew. I especially enjoyed the Crystal room. It was a lovely venue for Elite breakfast and the pre-dinner cocktail lounge.

IMHO, Celebrity should keep Century, refurbish her and do some creative itineraries with her. I would cruise her twice a year if she stayed on the west coast...there are some wonderful ports and I wish they would do more than one repositioning cruise in the spring and fall. I would also love to sail her up or down the eastern seaboard, going into some of those lovely but less-frequented ports.

I know they have scheduled Century for a couple of 4 and 5 night west coast cruises in 2013 and the 7-day return trips out of LA in 2014. I would have preferred 10-12 day cruises, however I hope the fact that they have these west coast cruises scheduled means that they are going to keep her.

But if they are keeping Celebrity on through 2014, then they DO need to put some work into her. She is really a gracious lady and should be treated with the respect she deserves. :)

Archived