Long-time cruiser but new to CruiseCritic ... with a question.

Bill Millam

My wife is thinking about doing the "teeth whitening special" on an upcoming cruise. I told her I am not terribly excited about having some stranger onboard a ship messing with her teeth.

Any opinions about getting this done onboard?

Pros & Cons?

Any Good & Bad experiences/side effects?

Thanks in advance.

Wouldn't recommend it. Go with your gut and reading what you wrote, it appears your gut is already telling you "I told her I am not terribly excited about having some stranger onboard a ship messing with her teeth."

Have a great cruise! And Welcome to Cruise Critic!

There are a couple other post out there, here is one fairly recent below.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1645620

Make a paste with baking soda & peroxide and use q-tips to put on your teeth. Wait 5-10 minutes and then rinse really well and then brush as usual. You can also rinse your mouth with peroxide every day just rinse really really good after.

I remember someone talking about this subject earlier in the year. The recommendation was if you are to do the teeth whitening, do it the last day because it can make your teeth sensitive. One person did it the first day and it hurt to eat for the first 2 days of their cruise. I wouldn't do it myself, eating is too big a part of my cruise. :D

My partner and I had it done and it's an expensive waste of time! Don't waste your time or money! Plus, once you've had it done, it doesn't end there. You then have to buy the stuff to maintain it at home. I can't recommend staying away from it enough.

My wife is thinking about doing the "teeth whitening special" on an upcoming cruise. I told her I am not terribly excited about having some stranger onboard a ship messing with her teeth.

Pros & Cons?

Thanks in advance.

I would either have your own dentist do this for you or there are many good options for ones sold over the counter that you can do yourself at home as well.

Keith

NO, NO, NO!!!! Is she crazy? Are you crazy for not stopping her????

Get some Crest Whitestrips, or have your DENTIST do it. Toothwhitening can cause EXTREME SENSITIVITY.....you certainly don't want that to happen on a vacation in the middle of the ocean.

You don't do tooth whitening, or facial injections/fillers, laser hair removal, etc....on a cruise ship!!!

NO, NO, NO!!!! Is she crazy? Are you crazy for not stopping her????

Get some Crest Whitestrips, or have your DENTIST do it. Toothwhitening can cause EXTREME SENSITIVITY.....you certainly don't want that to happen on a vacation in the middle of the ocean.

You don't do tooth whitening, or facial injections/fillers, laser hair removal, etc....on a cruise ship!!!

Have to agree with that - I have had all of that done and wouyld NEVER consider doing that on a cruise ship - doctor's office only!

Pros & Cons?

Thanks in advance.

13 Things you should not do on cruise http://www.cruisecritic.com/blog/index.php/2011/11/01/13-more-things-not-to-do-on-your-first-cruise/

Have it done by your dentist instead...cheaper and they are the experts on your teeth

It will not be done on a ship by a dentist

Very Expensive on a ship

If she has any dental problems, (known or unknown), veneers etc., whitening could aggravate even an unknown crack in a tooth and ruin her cruise

My DIL is a dental tech, she once said that Crest White Strips actually work if used totally as directed

Have whitening done before the cruise and board with a white smile!

Spend the $$ on a massage or facial - just one spa service and you have a spa pass for the day

I met a lady on one cruise that had Restylane done on board ("look younger in 10 minutes"). The person administering it was not a doctor. The burning red rash on her face for the rest of her cruise looked painful.

I checked the spa, she paid OVER TWICE per vial compared to what my plastic surgeon in California charges

Archived