what's that in the sea...

booboojoy

Nine Cuban refugees in a sinking rubber raft. They had been at sea for ten days. We loaded them in a life boat, gave them water and food and sent a Dr. to check them out while we waited for the Coast Guard to come and pick them up.

Nine Cuban refugees in a sinking rubber raft. They had been at sea for ten days. We loaded them in a life boat, gave them water and food and sent a Dr. to check them out while we waited for the Coast Guard to come and pick them up.

wow.. does this happen very often? seems like others have senn some what of the same thing. sary..i can't even imagine being stranded for 10 days. how weird it would be to sail up to people floating in the sea.

wow.. does this happen very often? seems like others have senn some what of the same thing. sary..i can't even imagine being stranded for 10 days. how weird it would be to sail up to people floating in the sea.

My parents saw something similare on their cruise in 1991.

And to think they were sent back to Cuba. One wonders what happens to people who are returned.

I've heard of it other times as well. It was really sad to see and so sad to think they would be sent back. When you want to leave bad enough to go through that it must be bad there. I guess it should make us extra glad to live where we do.

We saw this also on our Monarch OTS cruise back in 2010. We saw people standing all along the railing, pointing to something. Finally we saw them looking down the side of the ship. If I remember correctly, there were only a few, and one of the refugees had died a few days earlier. I remember their faces and their shouts, it was extremely sad. Something I won't forget.

We had two morning doves that sailed from Mobile to Cozumel. Possibly the laziest birds to ever migrate.:rolleyes: I will post pix if I can find them.

Our ship sailed from Italy, with several migrating fieldfares on board, including one on our balcony which chattered crossly every time we opened the door....they all gathered at the back pool to drink next morning. They flew off in Cartegena, so not far to Africa.

:rolleyes:

• 2 months later...

The most unusual thing we've seen in the sea was deck chairs that blew overboard from the old ship Constitution, back in the mid '80's, sailing from Kona to Maui in a horrific wind. We've also seen all kinds of awsome sea life - breeching whales, hundreds of dolphins (some surfing the ship's wake), flying fish, rays that sail out of the water and skim the waves, birds, seals & sea lions. We've also seen some pretty disgusting garbage in a few ports, especially after a rain storm that washes street trash and sewage into the harbors.

On transatlantic crossings I've seen whales that followed our ship almost all the way across the atlantic, seals basking on icebergs, icebergs that glowed green. And once we stopped to load a Russian seaman who had broken his back onto our ship; it took about 4 hours to transfer him from a trawler to our ship.

I've never paid attention to what's out in the ocean. I'm too busy either having a good time or relaxing!

To me, a big part of cruising is watching the ocean - I find it very relaxing. If I didn't want to do that, I'd just take a land vacation.

Archived