Transfer from Port CIVITAVECCHIA to FCO Rome airport

Travel3

I am taking a Med cruise with Celebrity. The ship arrives at 5am at Port CIVITAVECCHIA, and our flight leaves at 10:10am. Do you think this is ample time to catch the 10:10am flight? We plan to arrage Rome Cabs for the transfer.

I am taking a Med cruise with Celebrity. The ship arrives at 5am at Port CIVITAVECCHIA, and our flight leaves at 10:10am. Do you think this is ample time to catch the 10:10am flight? We plan to arrage Rome Cabs for the transfer.

I'd be more comfortable with a flight after 11:30am.

You have set yourself into a very difficult situation. You might wish that you had asked before you booked that flight!

You have at least a 45 minute to an hour drive to get to the airport.

Flying internationally, you should be there two hours before the flight.

While the ship docks at 5 a.m., you probably won't be allowed off for at least an hour, possibly more.

You should prepare for self-disembarking, which means you must move your luggage without any assistance from Celebrity.

It's going to be cutting it very, very close. What is your Plan B if you miss that flight?

We had an 11:15 flight from FCO this past June.

Did not self-disembark but got tickets for 7:15 disembarkation. Met RomeCabs van at 7:30. Were at FCO (Friday morning) by 8:20 a.m.

Long lines (3 of them!) at FCO. Think we were through passport control, baggage check and security in about 75 minutes but we are Platinum travelers. Think it took friends about 90 minutes. Then you have to get to your gate.

So from FCO to your gate is about 2 hours and 45 minutes with no major delays.

It will be close. But you can probably make it if you don't have another choice.

While it is a little risky, it will be OK the vast majority of the time. I believe Celebrity recommends flights at 10:30am or later, so you are only a tad before what Celebrity deems to be safe. The ship often begins debarking about 6:00am and at that time of the day there is generally minimal traffic. I left Civitavecchia at 6:30am and made it to FCO in just under an hour with Rome in Limo as a transfer. The airline was not even starting to check people in until 8:00am, so I had to stand around for just over half an hour before I could even start the process of checking in. There is always the possibility of a delay occurring - and you do not have a lot of wiggle room built in if the delay is more than brief, but most of the time you will make that flight.

But is it "ample time?" I would say, no. It will be possible if everything goes perfectly. Keep your fingers crossed.

Have you sailed out of there before? It is not "possible if everything goes perfectly" but is "extremely likely even if there is a small delay." The recommended time by the cruise line is just 20 minutes later than what the OP is considering.

I think you are cutting it too close. The ships arrival time is not the same as the time you disembark the ship. That could a couple of hours later more or less. I would book a flght home after noon if it were me. :)

We used Rome Cabs for our transfer in June 2011 and we --a group of 8 from our Roll Call--were at FCO by 9am because some had 11ish am flights but making it through that airport for anything before 11am is tough job. If you dock on time, if you clear on time, if you are off quickly and if there is no traffic you have half a chance but do you really want to spend your Med time stressing about will you make your flight? We had to choose between a one connection trip home that left at 1pm vs a non-stop that left at 10:10am. We opted for the later, longer flight and it was a good call. Even though we were at the airport very early, making that 10:10am would have been very difficult.

Ther are too many what ifs ...to allow you to not panic because of cutting it so close. .if you could i would recommend a midday to pm flight .if your ship arrives late ...you may have problems ...plus traffic in Rome or on that highway is iffy at best ...not to mention passport control and security

Why ruin a cruise with all that stress . do yourself a favour ...rebook your flights

Bon voyage

Michele

We used Rome Cabs for our transfer in June 2011 and we --a group of 8 from our Roll Call--were at FCO by 9am because some had 11ish am flights but making it through that airport for anything before 11am is tough job. If you dock on time, if you clear on time, if you are off quickly and if there is no traffic you have half a chance but do you really want to spend your Med time stressing about will you make your flight? We had to choose between a one connection trip home that left at 1pm vs a non-stop that left at 10:10am. We opted for the later, longer flight and it was a good call. Even though we were at the airport very early, making that 10:10am would have been very difficult.

Again, the cruise line recommends 10:30am or later - so the OP is just considering 20 minutes earlier than what the cruise line recommends. Debarkation in Civitavecchia normally starts by 6:00am and there is minimal traffic at that time. So long as they utilize self-debarkation, hustle, and arrange for a private transfer they do not have "half a chance" to make the flight but it would take a highly unusual occurrence for them to miss the flight. Sure there is some risk, but it would involve something out of the ordinary to miss the flight (provided they hustle).

We had the same concerns and booked an early afternoon flight (to London), after our TA cruise. Luckily, there were several flights throughout the day. Took the train, with a change at Trastevere and didn't feel stressed about getting to the airport on time.

I suggest you change your flight time.

• 1 month later...

We had an 11:15 flight out of FCO back in 2005. We took the Carnival transport, and made it there with time to spare.

However, things are a little different now, and we will probably take a cab much earlier. The time still makes me nervous!

We stayed over the night of disembarkation and flew out the next day.. This was in Nov this year, in other words, fewer cruise passengers at FCO. EVEN keeping this in mind, we had a long walk inside terminal to get to check in (yes, dropped off with private service). There were bottlenecks all over - ticketing, passport control... Passports checked again, a cleaning strike so trash all over, disorganization at the gate etc.

i certainly would not want the stress at the end of a nice cruise of worrying about making my flight. WHAT IF you don't ...disembark on time ... Find all your luggage... Find the driver ... Or ...Get stuck in traffic ... Encounter an accident ...have issues or encounter strikes at the airport? You absolutely need to be at the ticket counter 2 hours before your flight... So taking everything into consideration... You need to make your decision.

But is it "ample time?" I would say, no. It will be possible if everything goes perfectly. Keep your fingers crossed.
Exactly! It is not even close to "ample time". It is "probably enough time if nothing bad happens time".

BTW, we also used Rome Cabs. Stefano was great and very professional. Good choice.

We did a flight from FCO this December on a Sunday, and it took a hour to get to the airport. There was very little traffic on the road to the airport. The check in at the airport was another thing. First line check in with cases, second if your are going to Canada or the US a security check. No cameras, wires and plugs of electronic equipment or batteries, electronic devices, kindles, all must be place in a clear plastic bag. Third a regular securtiy check security check point. Next you have to be bussed to another terminal, where we underwent a Fourth security point. We then were bused to the the plane. Our plane left at 11:50. I would say we made it to the plane with 15 minutes to spare. Our friend who shared the ride with us, had an earlier flight with Delta. At the first counter, he was rushed threw a private area, and stated that after security they took him straight to the plane by himself. They of course were waiting for him as he was the last pax.

We did a flight from FCO this December on a Sunday, and it took a hour to get to the airport. There was very little traffic on the road to the airport. The check in at the airport was another thing. First line check in with cases, second if your are going to Canada or the US a security check. No cameras, wires and plugs of electronic equipment or batteries, electronic devices, kindles, all must be place in a clear plastic bag. Third a regular securtiy check security check point. Next you have to be bussed to another terminal, where we underwent a Fourth security point. We then were bused to the the plane. Our plane left at 11:50. I would say we made it to the plane with 15 minutes to spare. Our friend who shared the ride with us, had an earlier flight with Delta. At the first counter, he was rushed threw a private area, and stated that after security they took him straight to the plane by himself. They of course were waiting for him as he was the last pax.

what time did you get off the ship?....did you use a private transfer company? we are planning to be off the ship by 7 am to make an 11:30 flight...that is why I am asking these questions...

We were among the first pax let off the ship. We had to wait for the clearance. I am sure that it was closer 7:45. This was a very small ship, also. It took a couple of minutes to collect cases, and get to our car and driver. I know we were on the road by 8:00am. Again no traffic as it was a Sunday morning.

our taxi is coming for us at 7 am...so we will be on the road shortly after that....so it will give us an hour longer than you had..hopefully that will be enough to offset all the things that you listed....but still sounds like a rush...and really does not leave any time for the "what ifs"....

but that is the chance we are taking...there were no later direct flights that day....

just hope for the best..

our taxi is coming for us at 7 am...so we will be on the road shortly after that....so it will give us an hour longer than you had..hopefully that will be enough to offset all the things that you listed....but still sounds like a rush...and really does not leave any time for the "what ifs"....

but that is the chance we are taking...there were no later direct flights that day....

just hope for the best..

You will be fine, in fact, you may be at the airport before they are ready to start checking you in.

You didn't specify in your post if you are on a US branded airline or not; Terminal 5 (the one with the additional security checks) only applies to US branded airlines flying directly to a US city (and El Al flights to Israel). If you are on a non-US airline (even if your ticket is through a US airline, it could be a code-share operated by a European line) you'll depart through T3, for which you would be very, very early.