New HAL Ship, largest ever

voyageur9

I agree with others about more drawers and more electrical outlets in both the cabin and bathroom. We usually bring multi-plugs and an extension cord. However, the electrical outlet in the bathroom, besides being lower, needs to be a true outlet and not those marked for "shavers only". We found out the hard way that they really are for shavers only.

Our source, who mentioned the new ship to us in August, also said they thought it would be larger than the Panamax ships and would use the new locks. Will be interested in seeing if this is true.

And to think, when the Vista class was announced, we were told they would never build a ship larger than 1800 passengers. Things do have a way of changing. We do like the small to mid-size ships, like the S and R classes, better than larger ships.

Lenda

I would not be so quick to assume lower gross tonnage equals less space. Significant advances are being made in materials including steel used to build ships to increase their strength. Increased strength equates to needing less steel to to the same job, which equates to less weight. Same for electronic and mechanical systems and engines. Smaller and lighter is the way of the future. So, comparing current passenger space ratios using number of passengers per ton (or whatever) of a ship being built with newer technologies and materials to ships designed and built 10 years or more ago is flawed.

I would hate to see Maasdam departure before other potential candidates.

How are you?

So nice to see you posting. :)

I SO agree.

It will be a very sad day for DH and me when 'our' beloved Maasdam leaves the fleet.

I hope she remains past her sisters and even after the "R" class ships leave but we know that is not likely.

The older they are, the more sure they will be next to go.

If we are really lucky, Maasdam being so popular may remain blue hulled longer than the rest.

Now that I have had a chance to read everything -- my comments.

Personally I am glad to see that HAL is getting a new ship -- and that she will be bigger.

At first we didn't think we would like the Vista class or the Signature class ships -- but we do.

I want to see more speciality restaurants like the other cruise lines.

But one thing I am concerned about -- itineraries. All the Vista class and Signature class do is 7 day itineraries. And all the same ports. HAL needs to start some 10 and 14 day cruises with the larger ships. We have been looking at Celebrity and I see that a couple of their larger ships do more than 7 days.

Personally I am glad to see that HAL is getting a new ship -- and that she will be bigger.

At first we didn't think we would like the Vista class or the Signature class ships -- but we do.

But one thing I am concerned about -- itineraries. All the Vista class and Signature class do is 7 day itineraries. And all the same ports. HAL needs to start some 10 and 14 day cruises with the larger ships. We have been looking at Celebrity and I see that a couple of their larger ships do more than 7 days.

That is actually a very good point KK. Sadly HAL has actually been stuck in a rut as far as itineraries are concerned in my opinion. How many years has the Zuiderdam been doing the Sun Farer Cruises to the Panama Canal. Then the Noordam has done the 10 and 11 day which is the only larger ship to to the longer voyages.

Now if I was to make an educated guess the main reason HAL has kept with the 7 day cruises on the newer ships is because for the most part HAL can attract new cruisers and families to these 7 day cruises more than they can the longer voyages. In doing this they can hopefully make more on board revenue to help pay for these new ships. It has been stated and verified by those in the know that the majority of the income from cruise lines is not what they sell the cruise for but what they can sell you once on board the ship. But economic times has made this a bit more challenging and sadly HAL's Selling model has not proven to help them when it comes to having to reduce the fares so drastically to fill the ship. But that really is a whole different subject ;)

At this point it is hard to say what HAL will do for itineraries for the new ship. Three years is still a long way away :D and we probably will not have a clue of where she will be sailing for at least 18 months.Unless when they give us some artist renderings they state what she might be doing.

I agree 100% with your entire comment! Better itinerary coupled with a longer than 7 day cruise, as well as my desire to try the Celebrity product, are three reasons why I am going to sail on Celebrity Eclipse this Winter.

For a while we kept hearing comments HAL would position ships in Asia but that doesn't seem to be happening.

Of course, they sent Oosterdam to Australia as third ship there and that was a big step. Maasdam doing the 40+ day European cruise in late fall as they did last year and this year again made for dramatic change for Maasdam. She did Caribbean itineraries all winter for years.

World Cruise on Amsterdam, Grand Voyages on Prinsendam, Maasdam in Europe and Veendam South America, three ships in Australia........

that sounds like a bit of variety to me. :confused:

I totally understand what you're saying. But, if HAL wants to attract younger, first time cruisers and families, they need to concentrate on 7 day itineraries. They are affordable for younger cruisers who don't have as much money or time as the older, more traditional HAL passengers. They need to appeal to the masses. Its an unfortunate reality. I like manual transmissions in cars, but most people dont. So, I cannot get the car I want to buy with a manual transmission. Again, an unfortunate reality.

If HAL's bread was being sufficiently buttered by the old guard passenger base, they wouldn't need to change a thing. But, apparently its not. So, they need to go where the butter is.

I would not be so quick to assume lower gross tonnage equals less space. Significant advances are being made in materials including steel used to build ships to increase their strength. Increased strength equates to needing less steel to to the same job, which equates to less weight.

Gross tonnage is a measurement of volume, not weight. It has to do with enclosed space.

When the aft deck of the Prinsendam is enclosed, the gross tonnage of the ship will increase, even if the weight does not (Yes, I realize there is some weight to the materials used in the enclosure. The gross weight will increase by more than that.)

I'm glad that Mr. Ariston made the announcement because that leaves us with the possibility that HAL management may not have had much influence on the decision. Even if the result (the fleet) is the same three years from now either way, that uncertainty should help to preserve peace in the HAL family (employees and customers).

If any of the "small boaters", of which I am one, want to complain, maybe they really should complain to Carnival. (I don't want to complain because I'm a lot older than and getting still older at the same rate as the Prinsendam and the Amsterdam and maybe we can time it to all go out together in one grand scene.)

The Westerdam is currently servicing the 30-day Hawaii/Tahiti itinerary.

igraf

....But one thing I am concerned about -- itineraries. All the Vista class and Signature class do is 7 day itineraries. And all the same ports. HAL needs to start some 10 and 14 day cruises with the larger ships. We have been looking at Celebrity and I see that a couple of their larger ships do more than 7 days.

Ok, everyone's happy - I'm glad.

I would have far preferred to see them put some bucks into the older ships and make them a fleet to be proud of and make people want o pay more to sail on them.

I would have preferred they challenge oceania or another smaller line. Hal can do it if they want.

Instead they are just going with everyone else.

I only sailed once on the Nieuw Amsterdam and it was the worst service on any HAL ship I have had. Ok, I had a bad experience (along with all of my fellow cruisers - there were several that said they would not sail HAL for a while if ever, so it wasn't just me). I've never had that experience on the other ships.

Here's my hope (I can dream can't I?) - if you're going to build a ship this size - staff it properly so that there is still a good experience - put the flowers back in more places on the ship - put in drawers (GET IT HAL) so people can have things handy - and please - get a little imaginative with the rooms, the suites and let the Neptune Lounge have a sea view and maybe even a balcony as on the Prinsendam.

Ok, that's my vent for the night:rolleyes::D

Maybe so in the Carribean, but, for example, doesn't the Eurodam do 10 days in the Baltic in the summer, Nieuw Amsterdam does 12 days in the Mediteranean (which can also be joined as 24 day Collector's Voyages), and Oosterdam is doing 14-day itineraries in New Zealand and Pacific Islands? So, maybe we are on our way there?

Gross tonnage is a measurement of volume, not weight. It has to do with enclosed space.

When the aft deck of the Prinsendam is enclosed, the gross tonnage of the ship will increase, even if the weight does not (Yes, I realize there is some weight to the materials used in the enclosure. The gross weight will increase by more than that.)

I learn something new every day. Thanks for clarifying. Forget what I posted earlier. :o

Think this is an exciting move on HAL's part. Personally we prefer 1500 to 2000 size passenger ships, but at 2660 - it would be the maximum we'd go to give it a try. Hope they don't get into all the excessive amusement park features. Wouldn't want to sail on the Gozilladam. Just a nice classy ship with the basics that makes cruising about cruising. Hope HAL doesn't mess this up. Fall 2015--hard to think too far ahead as we keep getting older, but we'd be game for something in early 2016 with God willing. :)

...After all - How long have we heard rumors of a "Grand/Nieuw Statendam"?

I just hope it's an entirely new design concept as Solstice was rather than something that's been seen before, such as a HAL-ized Grand Class or some such.

However, I wouldn't read too much into the fact that Micky Arison had his name on the PR as opposed to Stein - after all it was an announcement for two Carnival Corp brands.

Would stand to reason that Statendam and Veendam's days are numbered as well - more than likely Maasdam and Ryndam too if a second HAL new build is announced...

...and for those who prefer smaller ships - Oceania, Azamara, Regent, Seabourn & Silversea will be more than happy to take over HAL's small-ship market niche.

...After all - How long have we heard rumors of a "Grand/Nieuw Statendam"?

I just hope it's an entirely new design concept as Solstice was rather than something that's been seen before, such as a HAL-ized Grand Class or some such.

However, I wouldn't read too much into the fact that Micky Arison had his name on the PR as opposed to Stein - after all it was an announcement for two Carnival Corp brands.

Would stand to reason that Statendam and Veendam's days are numbered as well - more than likely Maasdam and Ryndam too if a second HAL new build is announced...

...and for those who prefer smaller ships - Oceania, Azamara, Regent, Seabourn & Silversea will be more than happy to take over HAL's small-ship market niche.

Interesting and valid points but ... like it or not, Carnival Corp appears to have abandoned innovation and quality in all of their new builds. I was shocked by the fit and finish of QM2, Crown Princess and Westerdam when they were all quite new.

In fact, my partner who is not as ship obsessed as I am thought that the Westerdam refurbishment (!) was "OK" - he refused to believe that it was a new ship!!! I actually took photos of Crown Princess hoping to show the horrible colour combos to our friends back home. I thought that QM2 had the largest collection of Formica in captivity. While I have issues with the Solstice Class ships, one can't even begin to compare the beautiful, German built "Mercedes" to HAL's "Chevvies".

Don't even get me started on Oceania's Marina - I have writen sonnets dedicated to their beds, carpeting and upholstery!

And as for Fincantieri, I recently sailed on their stunning L'Austral. The shipyard can deliver quality but only if it is specified in the contract. I am intrigued by the new ship but I will not expect any miracles. There is only so much that can be provided for what we pay.

Carnival just announced the first new ship in five years for HAL

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=140690&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1750623&highlight=

Part of the announcement follows:

MIAMI, Oct. 26, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Carnival Corporation & plc (NYSE/LSE: CCL; NYSE: CUK) today announced it has reached an agreement for the construction of two new cruise ships – a 99,000-ton ship for its Holland America Line brand and a 135,000-ton vessel for its Carnival Cruise Lines brand.

A memorandum of agreement has been signed with Italian shipbuilder Fincantieri for the construction of a 2,660-passenger ship for Holland America Line scheduled for delivery in fall 2015 and a 4,000-passenger ship for Carnival Cruise Lines scheduled for delivery in winter 2016. The total cost for the two vessels combined, which includes the U.S. dollar denominated contract price and all owner's costs, will be approximately $195,000 per lower berth. The memorandum of agreement is subject to customary closing conditions, including execution of shipbuilding contracts and financing.

The Holland America ship, which will be a new class of vessel for the line, will enter service five years after the last Holland America ship, the ms Nieuw Amsterdam, delivered in 2010. The Carnival Cruise Lines vessel, also a new class of ship, will be launched four years after the introduction of Carnival Breeze, which debuted in spring 2012. The timing of capacity additions for these brands is similar to the five year span between upcoming new ship introductions for both Princess Cruises and P&O Cruises (UK), as previously announced.

With the current economic situation I think it is highly unlikely, but I would like to see the return of all wood covered decks, not only the Promenade deck, like they did with the Signature class.

I hope that they plan some new restaurants on this ship at the top deck like the Tamarind and Carnival's supper clubs with independant kitchens and a more intimate setting than the outdated Pinnacle Grill. Perhaps the supper club could also have entertainment like a cabaret show and be a real adult night club. I don't think that HAL ships need basketball courts of the like. Slightly larger cabins would be great and maybe a step up from Balcony or superior or even a deluxe with actual divider between seating and sleeping areas. And better ventilation so that smoking would not be a problem in one or two indoor bars.

Given its real and perceived problems, I think most people here would like to see the Veendam as the ship that gets retired first. However the Veendam also has the most passenger capacity of the S class, almost as much as the R, so it might remain in the fleet longer than one would expect.

Given its real and perceived problems, I think most people here would like to see the Veendam as the ship that gets retired first. However the Veendam also has the most passenger capacity of the S class, almost as much as the R, so it might remain in the fleet longer than one would expect.

IMO, the horrid PR that ship presents time and again, more than offsets the additional cabins. It is those cabins that created the problems constantly complained of. Veendam was doing fine before the removal of aft pool replaced by that poorly executed Retreat or whatever they call that area and the added cabins.

IF they are so lucky to find someone to buy that ship, we can only hope they jump at the chance and let her go before the other "S" ships. IMO

Maybe so in the Carribean, but, for example, doesn't the Eurodam do 10 days in the Baltic in the summer, Nieuw Amsterdam does 12 days in the Mediteranean (which can also be joined as 24 day Collector's Voyages), and Oosterdam is doing 14-day itineraries in New Zealand and Pacific Islands? So, maybe we are on our way there?

Maybe you are able to do those cruises -- we no longer can.

Thankfully we sailed many of those areas -- for several years -- before health issues arose.

Archived