Aboard the Whisper...

duct tape

This segment started on Thursday with 50 of us in transit. Nice group. 310 boarded: 3 groups, 60 Germans, 40 in a jazz group, 52 from an incentive group. The jazz group has graciously ofered to play for the ship as well as their own people. They are really good and very enjoyable, an extra treat. The Germans are having their own tours so there are no additional announcements. The incentive group is the same story as any other incentive group, loud, noisy, immature and they occupy much space wherever they are. Anyway, the itinerary is very nice since we are seeing some new islands (for us). Yesterday we were in Willemstad, Curacao, a very pretty little city connected together by multiple bridges to multiple islands. There is the Queen Emma Pontoon Bridge that we had to cross to get to the older part of the town where the markets and various sites are. It is also a Bascule bridge. I don't think there are many pontoon bascule bridges around! The one is Cape Town does not use pontoons. The Dutch colonial architecture with all the buidings painted various pastel hues is really attractive. There was a floating market of fish and vegetable/fruit boats that come up from Venezuela daily. There is also a traditional Central Market as well as the Old Market that houses local cuisine stalls, i.e. fish, rice and chicken. The oldest synagogue in continuous use in the western hemisphere is also located here. We could not go in due to services being held. Back over the bridge to the ship, we stopped at a brand new development on the Mega Pier that was built for all the really big cruise ships that come to call. It houses a hotel and many upscale shops and cafes and restaurants. Not much was open due to no one being docked there. All is all, a very pleasant day. Today, Orangestad, Aruba. It is Sunday so mostly everything is closed except the jewelry stores. Been here, stayed on board for a virtual seaday. Tomorrow, Kranklink (?sp), Bonaire. Supposed to have the best diving and snorkeling. Later.

Do you happen to know if the German group is going to get on the Cloud next? I noticed that a few of the shore excursions for the Amazon trip are being conducted in German.

I hate to ask, but where is the "incentive" group from?

Thank you for staying in touch, Duct Tape. I looked at that cruise a year ago, but I think our category was sold out, possibly due to the groups. It's such a pretty itinerary.

I do find it dispiriting that Silversea is going out of its way to attract groups. They can really influence the way a cruise feels on these small ships. Some groups are fine, of course. But some, especially corporate incentive groups, consist of people who didn't choose the line themselves and, left to their own devices, would probably gravitate to other cruise lines. I feel that I can no longer know what to expect as a "Silversea experience," and at these prices, I'm being more careful about what we book. I know many people aren't bothered by this, but I am. It's reduced our time on Silversea, and that's a shame.

Thank you for staying in touch, Duct Tape. I looked at that cruise a year ago, but I think our category was sold out, possibly due to the groups. It's such a pretty itinerary.

I do find it dispiriting that Silversea is going out of its way to attract groups. They can really influence the way a cruise feels on these small ships. Some groups are fine, of course. But some, especially corporate incentive groups, consist of people who didn't choose the line themselves and, left to their own devices, would probably gravitate to other cruise lines. I feel that I can no longer know what to expect as a "Silversea experience," and at these prices, I'm being more careful about what we book. I know many people aren't bothered by this, but I am. It's reduced our time on Silversea, and that's a shame.

Seafairer - my sentiments exactly. I wish (and Silversea probably does too) these groups would charter the whole ship. This would certainly solve the problem of alienating those who book with the expectation of enjoying a luxury experience with mature adults.

...and I am sorry to say, they are Americans. I do not know where/if the German group is going. The jazz group is Swiss, actually, and very nice. The German group has also not been of any discomfort to anyone. Today we were in Bonaire, one of the best places to snorkel/dive in my experience. The water is crystal clear and the visibility is terrific! The turtles and fish are large due to the fact that this is mostly National Park and the locals portect this reef very carefully. There are mooring balls, anchors are not used. Only line fishing is allowed. The boat (Sea Cow) has a very professional, knowledgable and fun crew. Venetian Night.

Thanx, Wes. We had a very hot day in Isla Marguerita, Venezuela, yesterday. The PM island tour was moved to the AM so I had to get up anyway! Oh well. We drove around the island and saw some vistas, some towns, some slums, lots of trash and starving dogs. There are enclaves of the wealth, as expected. I sure don't know where the oil money is going but it is not visible. There is an interesting reconstructed village that was built by a Swiss gentleman, all local stone and artifacts. It is the Museum of Arte, Music and Folkloric. There will be 31/32 in-transit to Ft lauderdale. Captain Luigi Rutagliano came aboard today so Capt Corsaro can get some vacation before the WC. The pool looks like Carnival/Costa this afternoon. A good time to pack. Into Barbados tomorrow for a few days before the Cloud arrives!

Archived