Live from the star princess

cruiselvr1

It is sad indeed. Especially since the staff and crew on the Star were one of the nicest, friendliest, and most helpful I've ever encountered. And they weren't just rude to crew/staff they were rude to fellow passengers as well. I don't know what causes people to have that kind of attitude and sense of entitlement but it's wrong.

You're right Kent - the only person who I encountered who wasn't smiling and personable was the Coffee Bar guy who didn't say much...but then again he had been berated by a passenger because there wasn't enough caramel in her coffee...I even gave the Soux Chef at Horizon Court a "You Make the Difference Card" just because he made sure my eggs were prepared timely every morning :)

I have written in my live threads that exact observation. What is the issue with some people treating other human beings like a piece of trash. I always want to say something, but get smart at the last minute and avoid trouble.

I am a VERY FIRM believer thou, that you are treated like you treat others, someday these folks are going to get some horrendous service and wonder why, well because you earned it!

.I even gave the Soux Chef at Horizon Court a "You Make the Difference Card" just because he made sure my eggs were prepared timely every morning :)

Good idea Brian. I don't think I've ever given so many "You Made the Difference Cards" as on this cruise.

I was noticing this too on my Star Princess cruise. Why is is that people can't say "please" or "thank you?" I noticed that this trip seemed to be pretty bad when it came to rude passenger interaction with staff and crew. And most of it came from elderly people who should know better. Talk about Ugly Americans.

It is sad indeed. Especially since the staff and crew on the Star were one of the nicest, friendliest, and most helpful I've ever encountered. And they weren't just rude to crew/staff they were rude to fellow passengers as well. I don't know what causes people to have that kind of attitude and sense of entitlement but it's wrong.

Must have been many of the seniors on our Golden Princess cruise two years ago. One of our dining companions was a retired school principal who said she was never so embarrassed by her peers as on that cruise. She even pointed out one woman in the Piazza as we were walking along with her, saying the woman needed to learn some manners from the polite kids. She also had her foot run over by someone's scooter --the person drove into an elevator without letting people out.

Well 4th time might work.I have tried 4 times to post this and have lost this 4 times:rolleyes: This is the DW talking to you.We have had 20- 30 mph wind and overcast skies since we left Lahaina. The ship has been rocking quite a bit. We have not been out on our balcony since we left Lahaina. I have not watched any T.V. so I dont know what types of shows might be on there.There have been some Hawaii themed shows on M.U.T.S.. There has also been lectures on history (railroads etc.)and volcanoes etc.. I have attended all the seminars on dolphins, whales,and sharks by Princess's naturalist Mark Harris.He has a great sense of humor and is very interesting. We will post some more when we can.

DH back. I have found out how important a Captain and a CD are. I now see how a great Captain, can influence his staff in GREAT service. This is why CC members are concern who their Captain and CD are, I now know. Last night our winds were over force 6, 25 to 35 knots. Right now we are down to 15, but still unable to use the balcony due to the wind hitting us on the port side (our room). Capt. McBain told us that if your a new cruiser, to use seasick pills. Last night when my DW tried to write her communique, we lost the INTERNET three times when she typed her communique. I tried to sign her off but it refused to log out. We needed to go down to the INTERNET café and they logged us out. During our Mexican Rivera cruises, we had special days for Mexican food, no special Hawaiian food on this cruise. We had a passenger arrested by security, and put off in Hilo. I know it started with him smoking on his balcony, from there I don't know what happen except he did have a attitude and gave lip to security. Some people have a me first and only me attitude. My DW just found a cigarette butt on our balcony, isn't that nice. I believe that is what caused the last fire on the Star, security just left. Hope to write more later.

DH back. I have found out how important a Captain and a CD are. I now see how a great Captain, can influence his staff in GREAT service. This is why CC members are concern who their Captain and CD are, I now know. Last night our winds were over force 6, 25 to 35 knots. Right now we are down to 15, but still unable to use the balcony due to the wind hitting us on the port side (our room). Capt. McBain told us that if your a new cruiser, to use seasick pills. Last night when my DW tried to write her communique, we lost the INTERNET three times when she typed her communique. I tried to sign her off but it refused to log out. We needed to go down to the INTERNET café and they logged us out. During our Mexican Rivera cruises, we had special days for Mexican food, no special Hawaiian food on this cruise. We had a passenger arrested by security, and put off in Hilo. I know it started with him smoking on his balcony, from there I don't know what happen except he did have a attitude and gave lip to security. Some people have a me first and only me attitude. My DW just found a cigarette butt on our balcony, isn't that nice. I believe that is what caused the last fire on the Star, security just left. Hope to write more later.

Wow. A lot of issues. How can people be so stupid as to smoke on the balcony and then cop a 'tude about it? Sad commentary.

I hope the seas calm down and you have smooth sailing.

Since you're on your way to Mexico I say: Vaya con dios.

cruiselvr1...thank you! Hope the weather gets better. Just wondering:

* Is there sushi at the Vines Bar?

* Are the pools warm enough to swim?

* Are there daily buffets outside the Horizon Court?

* What time did you get your luggages inside your cabin?

* Did anyone wear Hawaiian shirts for formal night? :)

* Is there a comedian/comedy show onboard?

* On the Golden Princess, they had the husband and wife team "Elua"...what's done in the Star to make give it the Aloha Spirit?

* Was the menu in the MDR different the second week?

Happy sailing and thank you in advance for your reply. Happy Gardener.

Just curious...is William Kent still the captain of the Star? We sailed the Star 2 years ago in the Eastern Med----loved the entire staff. I agree with you that the captain can affect the attitude of the employees.

Glad to hear they're enforcing the smoking policy. Just told hubby and he said this guy would be the type to complain that'll the head office will hear about this, and it'll be a rude awakening if he does, as he violated the cruise contract.:)

We just got off three weeks on the CB and the first day (still in port) I was in a friends cabin and went out on the balcony. when I looked down, there was a man out on his balcony smoking. I didn't think about it but yelled down, "there is no smoking on balconies" but he never looked up. I didn't know what cabin it was so couldn't report him. Several days later when we were over there for a drink, I looked down again and noticed a pack of cigarettes on the floor of a cabin about eight cabins down on the same deck from the first one.

There were many people sneaking out on the deck outside of one of the clubs. They put them out on the rail when we walked out.

Just curious...is William Kent still the captain of the Star? We sailed the Star 2 years ago in the Eastern Med----loved the entire staff. I agree with you that the captain can affect the attitude of the employees.

Todd McBain is currently the captain. He's a great captain. Here's his mini bio:

Captain Todd McBain was born and raised in Alberta and is now living in British Columbia.

He didn't see his first ship or major body of water until he joined the Royal Canadian Navy as a teenager. Working the world's oceans on destroyers, then later in the Merchant Navy on tankers and cargo ships, he finally decided to pursue a career aboard passenger vessels.

Having to initially break in as a deck rating, he then advanced steadily through the officer ranks until his promotion to Captain in 2007. He has commanded a variety of ships including the Dawn Princess since that time.

DH back. I have found out how important a Captain and a CD are. I now see how a great Captain, can influence his staff in GREAT service. This is why CC members are concern who their Captain and CD are, I now know. Last night our winds were over force 6, 25 to 35 knots. Right now we are down to 15, but still unable to use the balcony due to the wind hitting us on the port side (our room). Capt. McBain told us that if your a new cruiser, to use seasick pills. Last night when my DW tried to write her communique, we lost the INTERNET three times when she typed her communique. I tried to sign her off but it refused to log out. We needed to go down to the INTERNET café and they logged us out. During our Mexican Rivera cruises, we had special days for Mexican food, on this no special Hawaiian food cruise. We had a passenger arrested by security, and put off in Hilo. I know it started with him smoking on his balcony, from there I don't know what happen except he did have a attitude and gave lip to security. Some people have a me first and only me attitude. My DW just found a cigarette butt on our balcony, isn't that nice. I believe that is what caused the last fire on the Star, security just left. Hope to write more later.

" NO SPECIAL HAWAIIAN FOOD" We had none in April on the Star either, :mad:while on the Golden to Hawaii they served 3 great outdoor buffets:) Why do 2 ships doing the same iteneary have such differnt food service, it is not fair to the passengers of the Star to be shortchanged like this. I am still dreaming about the delicious Island night buffet and the yummi dessert one.:D

Was told by Msrtyn CD since the Star

had just a few cruises to Hawaii..

They weren't the Golden, didn't have

Elua. They did have some Hawaiian things.

Music, movies, dance group, uke lessons)

(1st cruise after Alaska they didn't have

flowers for lei's or shirts until after first

Hawaii stop)

When the Star does it next year from

Los Angeles, Elua will on her and the

Hawaiian theme will be in full swing.

So if planning a cruise to Hawaii..just decide

what you want from your cruise, or if a port

that is near you more important.. then pick

the right ship for you.

So assume the Grand from SF next year

will be llimited with Hawaii things too.. Since

they will be doing cruises to other places too.

Hawaii stop)

the right ship for you.

What has this to do with serving any on deck buffet? The buffets were not geared to Hawaiian food, there were just a nice addition suitable for any cruise destination.

You did say no Island Buffet..

When they had the deck party, Horizen

was open. Told people to go there for

food

CD said they weren't doing Hawaiian "things",

because ship was doing many different cruises.

That's why I wrote the post to inform anyone reading this.

If your really want to know more write them.. ask why no

buffets on deck.

cruiselvr1...thank you! Hope the weather gets better. Just wondering:

* Is there sushi at the Vines Bar?

* Are the pools warm enough to swim?

* Are there daily buffets outside the Horizon Court?

* What time did you get your luggages inside your cabin?

* Did anyone wear Hawaiian shirts for formal night? :)

* Is there a comedian/comedy show onboard?

* On the Golden Princess, they had the husband and wife team "Elua"...what's done in the Star to make give it the Aloha Spirit?

* Was the menu in the MDR different the second week?

Happy sailing and thank you in advance for your reply. Happy Gardener.

Hi There DW here. The weather ever did warm up. The wind did die down a little though. The weather going into Ensenada is supposed to be in the 60's. To answer Bonsai3's questions: yes there is sushi in vines but just ok and you only get 2 sashimi and 1 sushi. No choices. The pools are not real warm but felt ok. There were some people in them.There were no buffets outside of the Horizon court at all. Luggage arrived at about 4:00 pm My DH was worried we would not have clothes for dinner. I did not see any Hawaiian shirts on formal nights, although I really was not looking for them. Yes there are several comedian shows. No Elua like person on-board, but they do offer Lei making classes and Ukulele classes. Menu's are different every night except for the last 4 items, they stay the same.Last night they did have Lobster as a entree and escargot as a app.

We are a few hours out of Ensenada, and the wind at least on the port side is keeping us off our balcony. We were told that the starboard side balcony's are clear of the wind. It will be nice to get our feet on dry land for a few hours. The Celebrity Century was a few miles to our port side last night, now they have disappeared they are not due into Ensenada until an hour before we leave. All in all we have just loved the Star and staff. Our housekeeper Rommel has been one of best we have had, our waiter Denish also has been great (he will leave the ship in SFO for his vacation). Those waiting to board will just love her. DH signing off.

" NO SPECIAL HAWAIIAN FOOD" We had none in April on the Star either, :mad:while on the Golden to Hawaii they served 3 great outdoor buffets:) Why do 2 ships doing the same iteneary have such differnt food service, it is not fair to the passengers of the Star to be shortchanged like this. I am still dreaming about the delicious Island night buffet and the yummi dessert one.:D

Hawaii stop)

the right ship for you.

Maybe the confusion is that on the Golden MDR menus, there are specific items that are Hawaiian-inspired and are marked with a pineapple symbol.

Archived